Intel retiring their Core family of processors in 2019.

cozz

According to TweakTown's Anthony Garreffa, Intel will be retiring their Core Family in 2019 with the release Tiger Lake which will be succeeded with a more efficient, faster approach to the x86 architecture 

55626_01_intels-core-family-retired-2019-next-gen-x86-coming.png

source

You need to quote the article's text and give your opinion on it.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Read this, OP

ALSO

Don't believe what Tweaktown says. They literally quoted themselves as the source, along with another website that isn't even mentioning anything about Intel dropping the Core series branding.

The headline is a lie.

well it was pretty likely that they would once they move away from silicon, also Tiger Lake, best name

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

3 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

I don't buy it, although the timing makes sense. IIRC, this is when Intel is abandoning silicon, right?

Yup. Tiger Lake is the last scheduled 10nm.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Awesome. The exact year I'm set to retire my current build.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

According to what I've read today on this subject it's not Intel abandoning Core but rather they are researching a successor to Core, just like how Core succeeded Pentium 4.

Personally if it gets us an IPC improvement then I'll be happy.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

Yup. Tiger Lake is the last scheduled 10nm.

And what the hell are they replacing silicon with, its not carbon nanotubes isn't it, though i wish it was

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

3 minutes ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

And what the hell are they replacing silicon with, its not carbon nanotubes isn't it, though i wish it was

The primary contenders are the members of the III-V semiconductor family. CNT I believe is still a pipe dream until 2025.

Silicon-Germanium (GloFo has chosen this one since IBM already had R&D done)

Gallium Arsenide (has a vastly higher upper limit on switching speeds and doesn't suffer from Silicon's electrical instability)

Molybdenum Disulphide (the only other member which the industry together thinks can be ready for CMOS processes by 2020).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 minute ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

If molybdenum disulfide TFETs are not being used, looks like it should be Silicon-Germanium.

Gallium Arsenide is the 3rd major contender. I'm least familiar with Molybdenum Disulphide, but GaAs at least has two major advantages over SiGe in having vastly higher switching speeds and being vastly more stable electrically than Silicon or Germanium.

Does it really matter?  The latest "core" i7's are dramatically different chips than the first "core" chips 10+ years ago.  If Intel changes their branding, I'm sure they'll come up with something else that accentuates their brand, and markets it appropriately.

Its just a name people. 

1 minute ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Don't know much about GaAs and GaN, only that Intel is testing with all of them. I hope for MoS2 because of their research of TFETs, that are much more efficient than MOSFETs.

They're also an order of magnitude tougher to make.

5 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

They're also an order of magnitude tougher to make.

I'll stick to my relays, thank you very much xD

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

4 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

All of them are much more difficult to make ._.

Nah, MOSFET on Gallium Arsenide are already twice as efficient as the same on Silicon at the same lithography.

4 minutes ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

I'll stick to my relays, thank you very much xD

Different sort of comparison. At the nanoscopic level the research and yield tuning is vastly more expensive than it was in the days of small tubes vs. microscopic transistors.

5 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Nah, MOSFET on Gallium Arsenide are already twice as efficient as the same on Silicon at the same lithography.

Different sort of comparison. At the nanoscopic level the research and yield tuning is vastly more expensive than it was in the days of small tubes vs. microscopic transistors.

Naw man, I mean like electromechanical relays... Like the ones used in telephone routers xD

/s

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

They are not retiring the Core name, but making a new cpu that is the successor to the Core.  Core was originated on mobile back in 2006, with the Core Duo code name Yonah. Every CPU after and up to today is based on it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Can we please require a giant RUMOR tag put on the front of the title? TweakTown has no source but themselves, and it's a pretty sketchy rumor considering the claim is breaking backwards compatibility with x86, something most rational people should seriously doubt.

47 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Can we please require a giant RUMOR tag put on the front of the title? TweakTown has no source but themselves, and it's a pretty sketchy rumor considering the claim is breaking backwards compatibility with x86, something most rational people should seriously doubt.

I mean if by "breaking backwards compatibility" they mean using x86 emulation then I could see it happening  (since MS has recently managed it with ARM). 

It has to happen eventually, but yea no sharp cutoff would ever be tolerated.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

About time since AMD got them destroyed.

i7 5930k - 32GB Gskill Trident 3200 - EVGA x99 FTW-K - RX 480 8GB Nitro Crossfire

1 minute ago, A Damn Crab! said:

About time since AMD got them destroyed.

AMD is still losing in IPC by 15% in the worst cases and is winning in none.

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

AMD is still losing in IPC by 15% in the worst cases and is winning in none.

AMD has won.

i7 5930k - 32GB Gskill Trident 3200 - EVGA x99 FTW-K - RX 480 8GB Nitro Crossfire

2 minutes ago, A Damn Crab! said:

AMD has won.

War has changed. Has it? It has. No. War has not.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

War has changed. Has it? It has. No. War has not.

Deathclaw was defeated using a highly modded rocket launcher, insta kill with 8 rockets at once.