Sound Card and Headset

IAmTheBrad

Hi, I'm new to the forum, so I'm sure there's 100 of these topics. However, I'm looking into getting a sound card (Asus Xonar Essence STX) and a new headset to go along with it.

My question is; Is a sound card worth it for me. I mostly play games, watch movies, and listen to music here and there. No video or music editing of any kind. So I'm not really sure if a sound card would be worth it. I have looked into it for a while, and I could see the use for one, however, I'm not sure. 

Also, if I was to pick up a sound card, I would need a new headset. Price isn't too much of a concern, and I would like the ability to have a 7.1 headset.  Any recommendations? 

Thanks.

Hi, I'm new to the forum, so I'm sure there's 100 of these topics. However, I'm looking into getting a sound card (Asus Xonar Essence STX) and a new headset to go along with it.

My question is; Is a sound card worth it for me. I mostly play games, watch movies, and listen to music here and there. No video or music editing of any kind. So I'm not really sure if a sound card would be worth it. I have looked into it for a while, and I could see the use for one, however, I'm not sure. 

Also, if I was to pick up a sound card, I would need a new headset. Price isn't too much of a concern, and I would like the ability to have a 7.1 headset.  Any recommendations? 

Thanks.

Get a legitimate pair of headphones, then from there, you would see if you even need a sound card at all. At which point everyone would suggest a FiiO E10 over Xonar nonsense. 

legit headphones would be from companies like akg sennheiser beyerdynamic audio technica sony etc. which one would depend on what kind of sound you were hoping for 

Thanks.

You don't need a sound card, they are useless today. Especially one that cost that much, just go ahead and look on how many threads have been created from the problems that card has.

Anyway, you don't need 7.1, it's a gimmick and doesn't work.

Pick up a pair of AD700x, and save your cash.

Thanks for the tips guys, really appreciate it. I'm looking at something like the Sennheiser HD-558.  It seems that after doing some more research, that headphones are leagues beyond headsets. That being said, what do you think of the Razer Tiamat 7.1's? I think I already know the answer to that question, however.

*Hides*

Thanks.

Thanks for the tips guys, really appreciate it. I'm looking at something like the Sennheiser HD-558.  It seems that after doing some more research, that headphones are leagues beyond headsets. That being said, what do you think of the Razer Tiamat 7.1's? I think I already know the answer to that question, however.

*Hides*

Thanks.

You know the answer, you just said that in your own sentence. The 558's are fine.

*Hides*

Thanks.

if you did a side by side comparison it might make you ill listening to the tiamats.

they are pretty bad compared to the 558's

Of course, if you don't want to spend all the monies, there's a few cheaper headphones some people prefer. I personally like the Pioneer SE-A1000, @EmoRarity likes the Sony MDR-V6 (or 7506).

Anyways, with a budget like yours there is plenty of room to be picky.

*Hides*

Thanks.

>Razer

>Any product besides the DeathAdder

Not even once.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

Wow tonnes of helpful information! Thanks guys! That being said, getting a decent pair of headphones is good, but will I need to get a sound card of any sorts(Internal or external). Or just run it through my MOBO (ASUS Sabertooth Z87)

Thanks again! 

Wow tonnes of helpful information! Thanks guys! That being said, getting a decent pair of headphones is good, but will I need to get a sound card of any sorts(Internal or external). Or just run it through my MOBO (ASUS Sabertooth Z87)

Thanks again! 

If you decide on an AKG K 6##/7## (any ohms) or a Beyerdynamic DT 770/880/990 above 80 ohms, then an amp is recommended. FiiO E10's should be relatively cheap, but you could also get an O2 amp and plug it into your motherboard.

Yeah, the FiiO E10 looks like a winner with a good set of headphones. I think I might get one of those. Thanks for all of the help guys!

I'm thinking your budget is around $300, since you were planning about $200 on the crappy sound card and $100 on the headsets.

That being said, you could get even better headphones if you wish.

Don't forget you are going to have to factor in buying a mic.

Here's what I would buy if I were you.

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Signature-Reference-Class-Premium-Headphones/dp/B004444O3W

or

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-Pro-250-Professional-Acoustically-Applications/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1383329551&sr=1-1&keywords=DT+990

or 

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700X-Audiophile-Open-Air-Headphones/dp/B009S332TQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1383329575&sr=1-1&keywords=AD700x

amplifier

http://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/standard-objective2-amplifier.html

microphone

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/525051-REG/Blue_SNOWFLAKE_Snowflake_Compact_USB_Microphone.html

or 

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-Meteor-Studio-Microphone-Cardioid/dp/B004MF39YS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1383329619&sr=1-1&keywords=samson+meteor+mic

Prices of those products are probably cheaper if you look a bit harder.

Good luck!

Do you know you are comparing two mics in a different pricerange? one is 40 and one 70 dollars. I'd go with blue snowball or the Meteor. Just my opinion :D

Do you know you are comparing two mics in a different pricerange? one is 40 and one 70 dollars. I'd go with blue snowball or the Meteor. Just my opinion :D

Yes?

Incase you all couldn't tell I'm a sound noob. So would a combination of, let's say, the Sennheiser HD 558's and a FiiO E10 give me the ability of 7.1 ? I really appreciate having the option of 7.1 for movies and gaming, so I guess it is a bit of a must.

Thanks. 

The fiio isn't really necessary, and has nothing to do with 7.1

7.1 is just a software thing, there are a bunch of programs that do this for you, and most games have it built in.

Incase you all couldn't tell I'm a sound noob. So would a combination of, let's say, the Sennheiser HD 558's and a FiiO E10 give me the ability of 7.1 ? I really appreciate having the option of 7.1 for movies and gaming, so I guess it is a bit of a must.

Thanks. 

Just download razer surround from my experience it works awesome

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3