Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New PC for a Hotel Business

Hey guys, I just got a request from my boss. He knows I know a bit more than the rest of the staff about computers, and wants to buy/build a new PC since all of the ones we have are really slow(seriously, probably half of our complaints are how slow it is to check into the hotel ahaha).

 

He told me we have a $500-$1000 budget, which in my opinion seems very doable compared to how much my current computer was, especially since we don't have to shell out for a monitor, peripherals, and I could easily rip the CD drive off one of the old computers.

 

Basically we're looking to be able to run Excel, Synxis/Opera(these are hotel programs), About 5-10 tabs on Chrome, all with little to no latency. I know the computer'll want 8-16 GB of RAM, but other than that I'm not exactly sure what would be good for a budget of this type. We will definitely want room to expand storage, but I'm thinking a SSD for boot and our programs would suffice, plus a couple TB for storage.

 

Anyways, any suggestions for a business-type PC would be much appreciated. I only have a decent understanding of gaming-type PCs, though I can't imagine they're that much different.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

im thinking somewhere in the range of i5 6300, maybe even lower. that sould do the trick

pc: Cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @3,9  Gpu: Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Case: NZXT s340 Elite Ram: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX cooler: Corsair Hydro H110i Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI plus Storage: 1x 128gb SSD 1x 1TD HDD 1x 960 Evo Audio: Sennheiser HD600/AT2020

 

I also use a macbook, i don't know why... but i kind of like it.

 

Music... Spotify: jagodverikheetrafv2.0

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($29.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Team Elite Plus 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Mainstream 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case  ($25.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($48.89 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($88.58 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: ViewSonic VA2055SM 19.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor  ($87.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $785.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-26 14:01 EST-0500

And get a good UPS as well

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

 

Mice: Logitech G Pro Wireless (main), Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SgtRafsta said:

im thinking somewhere in the range of i5 6300, maybe even lower. that sould do the trick

All I'm seeing are high prices for a CPU like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($29.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Team Elite Plus 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Mainstream 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case  ($25.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($48.89 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($88.58 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: ViewSonic VA2055SM 19.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor  ($87.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $785.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-26 14:01 EST-0500

And get a good UPS as well

Oh wow thanks! This is a great price and I totally agree about the UPS. I actually didn't know those existed until you pointed it out, but when I looked it up I was like "yeah, we need this." Can't tell you how many times our old(now busted) computer would just up and quit on us because a power strip was looked at the wrong way.

 

I'll see what I can do with a bit of editing on this. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

if it's for a buisiness, i stick with recommending HP's buisiness-oriented devices.

 

whatever people may say about them, they're built to last, and built to -in case of failure- be repaired and up and running fast.

 

where replacing a standard ATX power supply probably takes a good few minutes at least, HP's office critters can have a power supply swap in literally under a minute, as an example to drive my point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($29.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Team Elite Plus 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Mainstream 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case  ($25.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($48.89 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($88.58 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: ViewSonic VA2055SM 19.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor  ($87.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $785.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-26 14:01 EST-0500

And get a good UPS as well

a whole lot of nope...

 

that K chip is a waste of money, so is the cooler, that case is nothing but an immature eyesore in the buisiness world (keep them to your gaming rig ;)), and that power supply is a disaster in terms of reliability

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

a whole lot of nope...

 

and that piower supply is a disaster in terms of reliability

your are correct. but I don't think that buisness Pc requier a lot of power so you don't have to spend a lot more on a higher tier PSU ;) for everday computing these are just fine

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | RAM:G Skill TridentZ RGB 2666 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 128 GB Adata SP 900 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

 

 

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

 

 

Second Laptop (Work laptop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3250U,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 2400 mhz

GPU: Vega 3

Storage: 512 GB Sk Hynix BC511 NVMe

 

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 9

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, manikyath said:

a whole lot of nope...

 

that K chip is a waste of money, so is the cooler, that case is nothing but an immature eyesore in the buisiness world (keep them to your gaming rig ;)), and that piower supply is a disaster in terms of reliability

Yeah I definitely won't be getting anything gaudy. Probably a very basic mid-range case. Something that can fit under the front desk we have at work, which isn't very big to begin with.

 

What would be a more suitable CPU, in your opinion? I'm not dismissing your HP suggestion, I agree, the computers I used to have at school were pretty old yet really reliable, and they're still probably running at that school 6 years later. I just want to weigh all my options. I also like building PCs, and any excuse to build one from scratch(especially when I'm not the one paying for the parts!) is a good excuse to me. :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Arjan W said:

your are correct. but I don't think that buisness Pc requier a lot of power so you don't have to spend a lot more on a higher tier PSU ;) for everday computing these are just fine

but the difference is in the buisiness world, these things are expected to last for 8-10 years, and that power supply is NOT made to last that long, probably clogged with dust, in a badly ventilated cabinet, etc...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

a whole lot of nope...

 

that K chip is a waste of money, so is the cooler, that case is nothing but an immature eyesore in the buisiness world (keep them to your gaming rig ;)), and that piower supply is a disaster in terms of reliability

Well, it is 600MHz faster than the non K variant, so this is why I included it.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

 

Mice: Logitech G Pro Wireless (main), Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Well, it is 600MHz faster than the non K variant, so this is why I included it.

C7 is literally the worst cooler you can pick for cooling. At load would might even thermal throttle. Do you think 600MHz is that needed?

 

cpu_oc_typical_b.gifcpu_stock_typical_b.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Well, it is 600MHz faster than the non K variant, so this is why I included it.

We're not exactly looking for the greatest performance in the world. I get your point but I don't think my boss would care about OC capabilities for a work computer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

C7 is literally the worst cooler you can pick for cooling. At load would might even thermal throttle. Do you think 600MHz is that needed?

TBH, no...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

 

Mice: Logitech G Pro Wireless (main), Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TerraDSerph said:

Yeah I definitely won't be getting anything gaudy. Probably a very basic mid-range case. Something that can fit under the front desk we have at work, which isn't very big to begin with.

 

What would be a more suitable CPU, in your opinion? I'm not dismissing your HP suggestion, I agree, the computers I used to have at school were pretty old yet really reliable, and they're still probably running at that school 6 years later. I just want to weigh all my options. I also like building PCs, and any excuse to build one from scratch(especially when I'm not the one paying for the parts!) is a good excuse to me. :D 

well, with some careful picking you can build something as reliable as what HP provides, the difference (and main reason why i recommend them) is that HP's boxes are a "canned", "you know what you are gonna get" solution.

 

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Well, it is 600MHz faster than the non K variant, so this is why I included it.

because they really need that 600MHz for their chrome tabs...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

C7 is literally the worst cooler you can pick for cooling. At load would might even thermal throttle. Do you think 600MHz is that needed?

 

 

i have questions by 60°c on water ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, manikyath said:

well, with some careful picking you can build something as reliable as what HP provides, the difference (and main reason why i recommend them) is that HP's boxes are a "canned", "you know what you are gonna get" solution.

 

because they really need that 600MHz for their chrome tabs...

There 32 gigs of RAM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($251.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X150-PLUS WS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($95.71 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Intel 600p Series 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($90.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Hitachi 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($81.84 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($109.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($57.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($56.88 @ OutletPC) 
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($46.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $942.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-26 14:18 EST-0500

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, manikyath said:

i have questions by 60°c on water ;)

IT will only vaporate/boil at 100C so....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Geil EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

 

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I too would just say a prebuilt Dell or HP. 

 

Only really know their support from an enterprise standpoint, but with Dell's server market at least you can have a replacement part in 20 minutes lmao

 

i7 is overkill. Custom build is overkill really, even if you're getting slightly more performance, if you don't need that performance you may as well spend the extra on not having to worry about fixing and replacing parts yourself. If it dies, send it straight back to them and let them deal with it. 

 

Unless you're looking for snazzy aesthetics, IMO an i3, maybe an i5 prebuilt with 8GBs will do fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

There 32 gigs of RAM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($251.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X150-PLUS WS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($95.71 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Intel 600p Series 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($90.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Hitachi 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($81.84 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($109.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($57.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($56.88 @ OutletPC) 
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($46.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $942.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-26 14:18 EST-0500

please tell me you're joking... please do...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, obi-fade-kenobi said:

I too would just say a prebuilt Dell or HP. 

 

Only really know their support from an enterprise standpoint, but with Dell's server market at least you can have a replacement part in 20 minutes lmao

 

i7 is overkill. Custom build is overkill really, even if you're getting slightly more performance, if you don't need that performance you may as well spend the extra on not having to worry about fixing and replacing parts yourself. If it dies, send it straight back to them and let them deal with it. 

 

Unless you're looking for snazzy aesthetics, IMO an i3, maybe an i5 prebuilt with 8GBs will do fine.

i've seen HP overnight a replacement server part for a 20 year old server, enterprise is great :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, manikyath said:

please tell me you're joking... please do...

A xeon for productivity

A 32gigs RAM for Chrome

An NVME drive for boot

A Bray disc for movies (maybe)

A semi modular PSU for cables

A 1050 because Xeon has no igpu

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, obi-fade-kenobi said:

I too would just say a prebuilt Dell or HP. 

 

Only really know their support from an enterprise standpoint, but with Dell's server market at least you can have a replacement part in 20 minutes lmao

 

i7 is overkill. Custom build is overkill really, even if you're getting slightly more performance, if you don't need that performance you may as well spend the extra on not having to worry about fixing and replacing parts yourself. If it dies, send it straight back to them and let them deal with it. 

 

Unless you're looking for snazzy aesthetics, IMO an i3, maybe an i5 prebuilt with 8GBs will do fine.

 

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

i've seen HP overnight a replacement server part for a 20 year old server, enterprise is great :D

Hmm...you both have good points. I won't be there forever and I don't really want to tell the staff how to replace certain parts. 

 

Well, I'm sure I'll think of something lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×