DO NOT BUY ASUS strix 1060

TechguyES

So I guess I learned it the hard way, but do not buy the ASUS strix 1060 6g Gaming.

Here is why:

- excessive coil whine

I don't know why but for some reason my particular card has excessive coil whine especially under load

- external fan controllers need to run at least at 50%

The software is honestly bugged, and shitty. Also the GPU fans need to run at least at 40% or off why not at least at 20%??? ASUS?

- I don't know if others are bothered, but I am. The white led indicator is always on. why can't it flash when there is a problem, like gigabyte's card??

I guess I am returning it, unless someone knows how to fix the above problems?

Frankly the card performed well these past 2 days, where the coil whine was unnoticed when suddenly gaming on witcher 3 (4k @60 hz with high settings), unraveled the cards true form.

and since I will be needing a card with the same performance, any suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/GeForce-STRIX-Ready-Graphic-STRIX-GTX1060-6G-GAMING/dp/B01IPVSG4C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482704003&sr=8-2&keywords=asus+strix+1060

Clickbait nonsense.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Coil whine is either a manufacturing thing with all 1060s (and I've used a couple PCs with 1060s, neither of the two had coil whine, both were PNY), or is luck of the draw. I wouldn't use this as clickbait to prevent those who want to buy a Strix card from buying one.

Use MSI Afterburner

That LED is something Asus has used for years. I personally like it. 

I've built a PC with a PNY 1060 and used an HP prebuilt with one. Can recommend if you absolutely must send the card back.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

It seems your Asus 1060 has coil whine. You imply all other Asus 1060 will have the same coil whine.

Otherwise, why would you say not to buy Asus card?

Coilwhine happens and you don't even need to use the asus software lol.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

5 minutes ago, TechguyES said:

So I guess I learned it the hard way, but do not buy the ASUS strix 1060 6g Gaming.

Here is why:

- excessive coil whine

I don't know why but for some reason my particular card has excessive coil whine especially under load

The software is honestly bugged, and shitty. Also the GPU fans need to run at least at 40% or off why not at least at 20%??? ASUS?

- I don't know if others are bothered, but I am. The white led indicator is always on. why can't it flash when there is a problem, like gigabyte's card??

Frankly the card performed well these past 2 days, where the coil whine was unnoticed when suddenly gaming on witcher 3 (4k @60 hz with high settings), unraveled the cards true form.

https://www.amazon.com/GeForce-STRIX-Ready-Graphic-STRIX-GTX1060-6G-GAMING/dp/B01IPVSG4C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482704003&sr=8-2&keywords=asus+strix+1060

Controls is a more complicated subject than people realise. To have the fan run at 20% it's max speed may require more expensive controllers and thus making the product more expensive. I mean trying to control a DC motor was way harder than I thought it would be. 

2 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Coil whine is either a manufacturing thing with all 1060s (and I've used a couple PCs with 1060s, neither of the two had coil whine, both were PNY), or is luck of the draw. I wouldn't use this as clickbait to prevent those who want to buy a Strix card from buying one.

Use MSI Afterburner

I've built a PC with a PNY 1060 and used an HP prebuilt with one. Can recommend if you absolutely must send the card back.

2 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

You don't need to use their software m8.

2 hours ago, alexyy said:

Coilwhine happens and you don't even need to use the asus software lol.

When I use the msi afterburner, it can only go at 25% minimum.

Moreover, when using the msi afterburner to make the fans spin below 35%, the fans will go on and off continiously.

Third, in msi afterburner i can't control the external fans connected to the card.

2 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Use MSI Afterburner

Shitty PSU are a thing as well. My 2014 Corsair CX850M for example unlike the majority it seems creates really bad coil whine with my GTX 970 G1 Gaming, while my Corsair VS650 doesn't. And I'm waiting to see if the 2x GTS 250 1GB I ordered will have the same problem with the CX850M.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

13 hours ago, TechguyES said:

[...]

[...]

Well, I got the same fan problems with a Strix 1070 O8G. The fans turn on and off continuously until the fan controller reaches about 40% load and the external fan control wouldn't let the fans run on low speed but suddenly kick them in at about 1000 RPM with the external fan controller being at 50%. And that was the top of the line 1070 from ASUS. I swapped the thing for an EVGA card and am happy with that. Full story here:

Edited by Questargon
Controller for external fans crappy

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X | MoBo MSI B550 Gaming Plus | RAM 32GB Teamgroup @3600/18 | GPU EVGA RTX 3070 Ti FTW | Case Enthoo Pro M SE
PSU bq! Straight Power 11 Plat. 750W CM | Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 & 5x Corsair ML140 | Sound SB Z Retail | Storage Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
Display(s) Iiyama GB3461WQSU, Dell 24", LG 34UM95 | Keyboard Kinesis Freestyle Edge | Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | OS Windows 11

Atleast in my 970 Strix rant I had legitimate reasons with emperical evidence. This is nonsense. Since when does DutyCycle % indicate an absolute fanspeed? 50% could be 1200 rpm or 2500 rpm. Coilwhine is a lotterydraw and the indicator lamp thingy seems grasping at straws to add a third reason.

12 hours ago, TechguyES said:

When I use the msi afterburner, it can only go at 25% minimum.

Moreover, when using the msi afterburner to make the fans spin below 35%, the fans will go on and off continiously.

Third, in msi afterburner i can't control the external fans connected to the card.

It will turn on if the thermal point in which the fans should start spinning is reached and if it drops a bit it will turn off again.

Also, I'm assuming you've connected a case fan to your card(???) Why? It seems unnecessary, you could plug it to a molex and have it at full blast. 

This could be causing the coil whine since it's requiring more power for the case fans.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

14 hours ago, ivan134 said:

Clickbait nonsense.

i7 5930k - 32GB Gskill Trident 3200 - EVGA x99 FTW-K - RX 480 8GB Nitro Crossfire

15 hours ago, TechguyES said:

Here is why:

- excessive coil whine

Dont use their software ( hated it ), I use afterburner with my 1080 Strix. Regarding the fan speed, just set up your own custom fan curve.