Gaming laptop or gaming desktop + laptop

IAmAndre

Hi,

I've been working from home for the past few years, but I'm working for a company now since 6 months, and I'm very likely to keep working this way. I have a budget gaming desktop, but since I spend most of my time out of my house I need a laptop. Since I don't need that much power when I'm on the go, I can afford to get a cheap laptop (like a €200 chromebook-like laptop, or maybe something better for a bit more money). However, I'm considering selling my desktop and keeping my monitor and peripherals, then buy a gaming laptop. Now I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

I decided to build this PC a couple years ago because this option appeared to be way cheaper than gaming laptops, and a good investment in the long term. For instance, I could just replace my GTX 750 with a 1050 Ti and be good to go for a few more years. However, if you combine the price of gaming desktop + a descent laptop, it might not be the cheapest option. So I'd like to know if it's a good idea to buy a budget gaming laptop at around €800 (13 inch 1080p, core i3, GTX 960M, 8GB of RAM) or something at around this price for gaming and productivity.

I'd like to add the repairability factor. I've experienced two laptop failures so far, and they are a lot harder to fix than desktop.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Hi,

I've been working from home for the past few years, but I'm working for a company now since 6 months, and I'm very likely to keep working this way. I have a budget gaming desktop, but since I spend most of my time out of my house I need a laptop. Since I don't need that much power when I'm on the go, I can afford to get a cheap laptop (like a €200 chromebook-like laptop, or maybe something better for a bit more money). However, I'm considering selling my desktop and keeping my monitor and peripherals, then buy a gaming laptop. Now I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

I decided to build this PC a couple years ago because this option appeared to be way cheaper than gaming laptops, and a good investment in the long term. For instance, I could just replace my GTX 750 with a 1050 Ti and be good to go for a few more years. However, if you combine the price of gaming desktop + a descent laptop, it might not be the cheapest option. So I'd like to know if it's a good idea to buy a budget gaming laptop at around €800 (13 inch 1080p, core i5, GTX 960M, 8GB of RAM) or something at around this price for gaming and productivity.

Thanks

Don't get a gaming laptop. A chromebook and a gaming desktop is a better option. A gaming laptop tend to have poor battery life (depending on the tasks you perform) and can be really bulky and uncomfortable for portability. If you have a PC, just replace some components and you are good to go. By doing this will save you so much and you will be able to spend the remaining budget on a workstation laptop.

i would suggest a gaming desktop and a chrome book. i have personal experience with the chrome books and i gotta say theyre pretty solid since theyre light, quite fast honestly (there are ones that have small capacity ssd) and good for youtubing and google docs/slides kind of stuff but i dont think that they are compatable to microsoft word or powerpoint so keep that in mind. gaming laptops these days are getting better but theyre still bad, heavy, bad battery life, underpowered, big and clunky, and over all shit. so yeah gaming desktop + laptop. unless youre always on the move thats when i suggest a laptop to be honest.

@psycoUSA Which chromebook do you use? I'm planning to get one soon after next year, so which chromebook do you recommend? 

Gaming Desktop, it'll be cheaper and better performance.

I ain't advising Chrome Books though, you can still find a decent and cheap laptop with an i5, 4ish gb of ram and having much more storage if you go with either 240ish ssd or 1tb hdd while having the benefit of staying with an OS you're used to.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, jaeminyou said:

@psycoUSA Which chromebook do you use? I'm planning to get one soon after next year, so which chromebook do you recommend? 

i used to have this

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-Aluminum-Quad-Core-CB3-431-C5FM/dp/B01CVOLVPA/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1482417886&sr=1-5&keywords=chromebooks

nothing special you could get cheaper ones. it got the job done for me

26 minutes ago, jaeminyou said:

Don't get a gaming laptop. A chromebook and a gaming desktop is a better option. A gaming laptop tend to have poor battery life (depending on the tasks you perform) and can be really bulky and uncomfortable for portability. If you have a PC, just replace some components and you are good to go. By doing this will save you so much and you will be able to spend the remaining budget on a workstation laptop.

Interesting. So what is considered a "workstation laptop" today? Are we talking about high-end Mac-like laptops like the Dell XPS 13?

I think it comes down to the level of performance you expect out of a gaming machine. A 960M isn't that fast and will quickly show it's age, with no real upgrade path.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

16 minutes ago, psycoUSA said:

i would suggest a gaming desktop and a chrome book. i have personal experience with the chrome books and i gotta say theyre pretty solid since theyre light, quite fast honestly (there are ones that have small capacity ssd) and good for youtubing and google docs/slides kind of stuff but i dont think that they are compatable to microsoft word or powerpoint so keep that in mind. gaming laptops these days are getting better but theyre still bad, heavy, bad battery life, underpowered, big and clunky, and over all shit. so yeah gaming desktop + laptop. unless youre always on the move thats when i suggest a laptop to be honest.

10 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Gaming Desktop, it'll be cheaper and better performance.

I ain't advising Chrome Books though, you can still find a decent and cheap laptop with an i5, 4ish gb of ram and having much more storage if you go with either 240ish ssd or 1tb hdd while having the benefit of staying with an OS you're used to.

The problem with chromebooks is that they are very limiting. As Linux user, I could just install Linux but they might still be subject to issues, like the like of audio with the latest Intel SoC's. Since it's going to serve as a professional device, I don't want to run into this kind of issue. However, anything with a core i5 is out of my budget if I am to keep my current desktop. For now, the one I want is the Asus E200HA (Quad core Atom CPU, 4GB of RAM, 10+ hours of battery life, but crappy 768p screen with a TN panel).

1 minute ago, IAmAndre said:

Interesting. So what is considered a "workstation laptop" today? Are we talking about high-end Mac-like laptops like the Dell XPS 13?

No, those are fairly expensive, but they perform fairly well. Laptops ranging from 600-800 USD would be a perfect option like the Lenovo Thinkpad series. If you can afford a bit more than that, the Razer blade stealth would a great option since it is a bit powerful. 

2 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

The problem with chromebooks is that they are very limiting. As Linux user, I could just install Linux but they might still be subject to issues, like the like of audio with the latest Intel SoC's. Since it's going to serve as a professional device, I don't want to run into this kind of issue. However, anything with a core i5 is out of my budget if I am to keep my current desktop. For now, the one I want is the Asus E200HA (Quad core Atom CPU, 4GB of RAM, 10+ hours of battery life, but crappy 768p screen with a TN panel).

That is a huge problem with cheap laptops indeed, you'll most likely to be stuck with a 1366x768p screen and those are awful once you go Full HD or higher, Asus does makes some nice budget laptops, i3 based ones, just stay away from anything with less than 4gb of ram, my dad made the mistake of buying a very cheap one with i3-2350M and 2gb of ddr3 1600mhz ram, and yes that amount of ram is very far from ideal, even for browsing internet using Firefox which is less resources needing than Chrome it faces small performance issues with more than 3 tabs open.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

That is a huge problem with cheap laptops indeed, you'll most likely to be stuck with a 1366x768p screen and those are awful once you go Full HD or higher, Asus does makes some nice budget laptops, i3 based ones, just stay away from anything with less than 4gb of ram, my dad made the mistake of buying a very cheap one with i3-2350M and 2gb of ddr3 1600mhz ram, and yes that amount of ram is very far from ideal, even for browsing internet using Firefox which is less resources needing than Chrome it faces small performance issues with more than 3 tabs open.

I know, but I think I can live with that since it costs less than most budget/mid-range smartphones, and I think 768p 11 inch screen isn't that bad, especially for a second computer. That said, it's very frustrating to have a desktop at home and not being able to use as much as you'd like.

If you go desktop + laptop, then get a used business laptop. 

Why you ask.

• Way better build quality.
  • Better specs
  • better keyboard
  • Generally more IO
  • Most likely a better screen

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

55 minutes ago, Dackzy said:
  • Most likely a better screen

1 thing that is a bit iffy. I think for experienced users it's easy to tell which ones to avoid but there are some pretty shitty base screens. Especially with older models like the T520. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

1 minute ago, Pendragon said:

1 thing that is a bit iffy. I think for experienced users it's easy to tell which ones to avoid but there are some pretty shitty base screens. Especially with older models like the T520. 

I think it is more likely that the screen on a used business laptop is the better one, than the screen on a new 200$ laptop.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

15 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I think it is more likely that the screen on a used business laptop is the better one, than the screen on a new 200$ laptop.

It really depends on the laptop. My current and previous work laptops (both Dell) have awful screen colours and viewing angles. Yet even my dirt cheap HP laptop I bought a while back had ok colours although I was less keen on the gloss screen. I'd also argue screens are generally getting better all the time, and half decent screens are making their way into ever lower price points. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible