Do I have to reinstall windows changing to intel to AMD or vise versa

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

Yes you should do a clean install if you want your OS to work correctly, all the drivers are different when you change motherboards.

Before you do anything, follow this process so that you can reactivate windows after changing the motherboard and reinstalling:

http://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how-to-use-your-free-windows-10-license-after-changing-your-pc’s-hardware/

Do I have to reinstall windows changing to intel to AMD or vise versa?

i have intel G3258 and asus z87-c. i want to change it to AMD6350 and asrock extreme 3 990fx

i have seen this video still want to confirm 

2 minutes ago, Sabbir Hassan said:

Do I have to reinstall windows changing to intel to AMD or vise versa?

i have intel G3258 and asus z87-c. i want to change it to AMD6350 and asrock extreme 3 990fx

i have seen this video still want to confirm 

You should reinstall Windows every time you have a hardware change... but when you change your chipset, you're pretty much required.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

- No but you'll have to go through a process to reactivate your Windows if you change motherboard

- Don't get an FX-6350 when FX-8300s and 8320s are literally $10 more (in most countries)

- Definitely don't spend a fortune on a motherboard for these CPUs, since it can't house a high performance upgrade (8300 is as good as it gets, and while it's a fine gaming CPU, it's not better than a 2011 i7-2600).

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I change from i3 3100 to an AMD 8350 when the i3 died. I had no way of knowing if windows would boot or a way to create an installer but windows 10 configured it's self and everything worked fine. I did so a fresh install after just to be sure but it totally worked.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Don't upgrade yet dude, Zen is around the corner and even then... an i3 will be a better option than any FX chip out right now.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

8 minutes ago, Imglidinhere said:

Don't upgrade yet dude, Zen is around the corner and even then... an i3 will be a better option than any FX chip out right now.

upgrade? He's downgrading. From Intel to AMD. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

- No but you'll have to go through a process to reactivate your Windows if you change motherboard

- Don't get an FX-6350 when FX-8300s and 8320s are literally $10 more (in most countries)

- Definitely don't spend a fortune on a motherboard for these CPUs, since it can't house a high performance upgrade (8300 is as good as it gets, and while it's a fine gaming CPU, it's not better than a 2011 i7-2600).

cant do anything, i need an update so i bought xeon 1231v3( i7 4790k or other K was not available for Z87-c motherboard) and so on so on. 9_9 so the concept its one pc which have G3258 and z87-c will be replace with AMD set and other pc will be updated with intel xeon. updated one will be reinstall. but trying to avoid installing on the other one

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

That's what I pointed out. Read mah post foo!

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

9 minutes ago, Imglidinhere said:

4 minutes ago, Imglidinhere said:

That's what I pointed out. Read mah post foo!

6 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

11 minutes ago, Energycore said:

sorry guys i have to go with what a got. Now so I will survive without issue if i change it for that pc without installing windows?

rest of the stuff(GPU,HDD RAM PSU) will stay same no change only the processor and motherboard change. 

iv never changed the hardware on my win 10 computer, but you should be able to change hardware in windows 10 a lot easier than older versions by linking your windows license to your microsoft account. Older windows can blue screen if you change hardware

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

btw it does depend on whether you have OEM, retail, or the free upgrade offer from older windows. I believe the free upgrade is treated like OEM and tied to the motherboard

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

dont worry about windows activation guys I will find what can I do after 30 days. now what is the conclusion ?

Yes you should do a clean install if you want your OS to work correctly, all the drivers are different when you change motherboards.

Before you do anything, follow this process so that you can reactivate windows after changing the motherboard and reinstalling:

http://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how-to-use-your-free-windows-10-license-after-changing-your-pc’s-hardware/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Sabbir Hassan said:

Oh god...don't do that man!

you have a good motherboard right there just get yourself a nice quad-core processor to drop in it and it will destroy the amd FX piece of shit in everything you can think of...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR