FCC Republicans promise to limit net neutrality when 'possible'

Skiiwee29

This is likely going to hurt several million people. https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/21/fcc-republicans-vow-to-limit-net-neutrality/

The FCC's two Republican Commissioners, Ajit Pai and Michael O'Rielly, have sent a letter to carrier lobbying groups promising to "revisit" net neutrality rules "as soon as possible" -- that is, once Chairman Tom Wheeler leaves and the right wing gets majority control of the agency. They write that the requirements for traffic fairness and transparency create "unjustified burdens" for providers, and previously said that they intended to "undo" net neutrality and other policies opposed by their party.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Joy, paste eaters from the right side are going to retard it up like their brethren on the far left.

May as well just nuke Federal Net Neutrality, and kill any and all regulations in regards to entry, level the playing field and throw it back to the states and their own personal regulations.  With Thiel in the W.H. and being close to Trump on technology matters and his own position in favor of Net Neutrality, he'll likely move to help establish it via a complete overhaul, reduction, or outright elimination of any and all regulations and hoops to making an ISP - happened in Alaska at one point, problem was that eventually once the regs were put back up - the bigger companies ate the smaller ones as operating costs rode upward.  

7 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

May as well just nuke Federal Net Neutrality, and kill any and all regulations in regards to entry, level the playing field and throw it back to the states and their own personal regulations.  With Thiel in the W.H. and being close to Trump on technology matters and his own position in favor of Net Neutrality, he'll likely move to help establish it via a complete overhaul, reduction, or outright elimination of any and all regulations and hoops to making an ISP - happened in Alaska at one point, problem was that eventually once the regs were put back up - the bigger companies ate the smaller ones as operating costs rode upward.  

You're just talking nonsense. Conservative Republicans just want to hurt the little people ;)

7 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Joy, paste eaters from the right side are going to retard it up like their brethren on the far left.

Problem is, net neutrality is nearly a Utopian idea and it won't work. It has good ideas that we could draw from, like the bullet point of ISPs treating all data equally, but forcing that on ISPs is the wrong way to go about it. Instead, stop allowing these ISPs to swallow each other up which creates less competition. If Tom Wheeler and the rest of the dems in the FCC were so pro-net neutrality, they wouldn't let Comcast, Verizon and so on swallow up companies that compete in their space.

7 hours ago, legacy99 said:

They write that the requirements for traffic fairness and transparency create "unjustified burdens" for providers, and previously said that they intended to "undo" net neutrality and other policies opposed by their party.

Net neutrality isn't a law, so they won't be undoing anything except giving power to the states to create regulation like it should be in the first place.

48 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Net neutrality isn't a law, so they won't be undoing anything except giving power to the lobbyists to create regulation like it always has been

Fixed that for you :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Well, it was a good ride for Linus and all youtubers in general but you might get killed under the thumb of isp throttling now. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Lurick said:

Fixed that for you :)

Enlighten me on why lobbying is a bad thing anyways. That's literally what you're doing when you protest.

Just now, Kloaked said:

Enlighten me on why lobbying is a bad thing anyways. That's literally what you're doing when you protest.

When a lobbyist is paid for by an industry to go against the interests of the consumers, that's a bad thing.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

When a lobbyist is paid for by an industry to go against the interests of the consumers, that's a bad thing.

Just because someone is being paid to persuade the government to change or enact something doesn't mean anything will come of it. Like I said, conservatives want to give the states more power since they don't like big government. This will, if done correctly, enable smaller businesses to compete better and probably deliver more competitive or outright better services than the big boys.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Just because someone is being paid to persuade the government to change or enact something doesn't mean anything will come of it. Like I said, conservatives want to give the states more power since they don't like big government. This will, if done correctly, enable smaller businesses to compete better and probably deliver more competitive or outright better services than the big boys.

Just take a look at Tennessee, lobbyists literally wrote and handed a law hindering competition to the local government there and they passed it without so much as batting an eyelash.

Look at TPP, they call it transparent but ignore public interests groups and refuse to invite them but will happily invite industry insiders who have only the interest of their group at heart and want to destroy things like creative commons. They want to lock everything up behind paywalls.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Just take a look at Tennessee, lobbyists literally wrote and handed a law hindering competition to the local government there and they passed it without so much as batting an eyelash.

I don't know anything about Tennessee since I don't live there.

What I do know is that small businesses like the one my dad runs are crippled by high taxes and stupid ass fees that he has to pay just to work. This is because of federal laws that shouldn't even have a bearing on whether or not he knows how to work.

always trying to find a way to nickel and dime us

btw this would hurt small businesses, gamers, server hobbyist, etc

2 hours ago, Kloaked said:

Problem is, net neutrality is nearly a Utopian idea and it won't work. It has good ideas that we could draw from, like the bullet point of ISPs treating all data equally, but forcing that on ISPs is the wrong way to go about it. Instead, stop allowing these ISPs to swallow each other up which creates less competition. If Tom Wheeler and the rest of the dems in the FCC were so pro-net neutrality, they wouldn't let Comcast, Verizon and so on swallow up companies that compete in their space

This is the real solution.

Anti-competitive business practices being challenged would lead to more innovation and competition in the marketplace, which would then in turn only benefit the consumer.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Things are currently censored and blocked on the internet on a daily basis, probably on an hourly basis or even more.  This point of this article is just to get people to think it's all Trump's fault and it's brought to you directly by AOL, the same people that own the Huffington post.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

20 minutes ago, Memories4K said:

This is the real solution.

Anti-competitive business practices being challenged would lead to more innovation and competition in the marketplace, which would then in turn only benefit the consumer.

But remember- there are places where companies like Comcast are the only option. The consumer would have absolutely no choice to change if Comcast imposed throttles on all of their favorite sites. It's not like Verizon would show up, dig new lines and provide to people just because they were asked. These places are mostly either small towns, where it's not worth it to build new lines, or big cities, where it's way too expensive to dig new lines. Some people would be hurt with no way out other than moving, which most people can't do.

I'd be fine. I have 3-4 ISP's to choose from. But think about the people that only have 1.

I used to be quite active here.

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

Things are currently censored and blocked on the internet on a daily basis, probably on an hourly basis or even more.  This point of this article is just to get people to think it's all Trump's fault and it's brought to you directly by AOL, the same people that own the Huffington post.

Who are also owned by Verizon.

also at people that think there can be competition in many areas for internet need to understand that cant happen in many regions

telephone poles can only handle so much and are usually owned or leased by the company

this is why most companies are region locked,

so talking about letting other companies swallow others isnt anti consumer its plain business

Just now, Kobathor said:

But remember- there are places where companies like Comcast are the only option. The consumer would have absolutely no choice to change if Comcast imposed throttles on all of their favorite sites. It's not like Verizon would show up, dig new lines and provide to people just because they were asked. These places are mostly either small towns, where it's not worth it to build new lines, or big cities, where it's way too expensive to dig new lines. Some people would be hurt with no way out other than moving, which most people can't do.

I'd be fine. I have 3-4 ISP's to choose from. But think about the people that only have 1.

That's the point of ceasing what the FCC wants to do and stop regulating everything to all hell where only big companies can afford to stay afloat and still pay living wages.

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

There' a REASON that TWC/Comcast have monopolies in so many locations

"If you ain't first, you're last"

That's the point of ceasing what the FCC wants to do and stop regulating everything to all hell where only big companies can afford to stay afloat and still pay living wages.

But getting rid of Net Neutrality won't make it cheaper to venture into territories where it's already not financially viable. Just because operating costs will go down a bit doesn't mean everybody and their dog will have ISP's moving into their areas by the dozens.

Just now, Kobathor said:

But getting rid of Net Neutrality won't make it cheaper to venture into territories where it's already not financially viable. Just because operating costs will go down a bit doesn't mean everybody and their dog will have ISP's moving into their areas by the dozens.

There's nothing to get rid of when there isn't such thing as net neutrality in the law books to begin with.

If senseless federal regulations stopped existing that only hurt the small businesses, then more people would be inclined to go into business for themselves. Maybe even form their own ISP. Not everyone and their dog will do it, but it'll be more than the number that you quoted.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

There's nothing to get rid of when there isn't such thing as net neutrality in the law books to begin with.

If senseless federal regulations stopped existing that only hurt the small businesses, then more people would be inclined to go into business for themselves. Maybe even form their own ISP. Not everyone and their dog will do it, but it'll be more than the number that you quoted.

It costs millions and millions of dollars to start an ISP. How many multi-millionaires would be so inclined??

10 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Who are also owned by Verizon.

Yes but you won't see Verizon on the donation list for Clinton's campaign, event though they did.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, Kobathor said:

It costs millions and millions of dollars to start an ISP. How many multi-millionaires would be so inclined??

Receiving loans and capital to start a business is a thing. Plus, there are some cities who just give money to businesses who are starting up so that they can expand since when that business grows, that local economy grows.

Receiving loans and capital to start a business is a thing. Plus, there are some cities who just give money to businesses who are starting up so that they can expand since when that business grows, that local economy grows.

Maybe you're right! I'm not well-versed in starting businesses. I guess it is good to think optimistically. Also, getting rid of lots of regulation sounds good if it means my internet price (MIGHT PROBABLY NOT) go down :)