Can Steam ban you for this?

ForumTryhard

So I was just chilling on my computer when I got a message from a random guy. He said he needed help with a csgo gambling website and if I deposited 5 dollars he could make me money, blah, blah, blah the usual scam stuff. I took this opportunity to mess with him. I agreed, but didn't click his suspicious link. About a minute later I told him that his scamming was pathetic and he was pathetic. I then proceeded to spam him a bit with 

w

w

w

w.

He then said "Nice spam, ez report." even though I had already reported him for attempted trade scam.

My question is: can I be banned off of steam for spamming people with private messages? You can be banned for game invite spam, group invite spam, and link spam, but this was just some letter spam. If someone was spamming someone else they could easily just block them. Any knowledge on the subject is appreciated as I've spent countless dollars on my account and am really nervous that it's all going to go away.

Thanks LTT forum!

"Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." John F. Kennedy

"Daddy is going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." Linus Sebastian

"It's soft, but in a good way, kinda like typing on boobs." Luke Lafreniere

1 minute ago, Sreno1 said:

No you can't be banned for that. 

Really? Thank god! xD

(If Steam even replies or looks at his report) They will just tell him to block comms with you especially since you don't have like 10 reports against you.

i highly doubt they will ban you for it, even if its against the rules. his offense as way bigger than yours so they don't give a shit about his user experience anymore.

7 minutes ago, ForumTryhard said:

Really? Thank god! xD

Add me on steam and I will spam you for test lol

No you can not be banned, keep spamming though it could be considered Harassment or Spamming ad/links

Image result for steam report

I wouldn't worry about it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

does a conversation get reviewed by a steam mod if a report has been filed ? if so then the mod would clearly see who to punish in this case 

1 minute ago, KenjiUmino said:

does a conversation get reviewed by a steam mod if a report has been filed ? if so then the mod would clearly see who to punish in this case 

yeah. they wppuld ban the scammer lol. not like there are bots or something 

30 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

yeah. they wppuld ban the scammer lol. not like there are bots or something 

who's a bot ? the mod or the scammer ?

Ok thanks everyone for the replies!

9 hours ago, KenjiUmino said:

They have access to all logs. Same as PMs here. If one participant reports another from conversation, staff will have a look at conversation.

Spamming could get  temp bans as most. And I don't think pure text spamming would warrant even temp ban. Its just annoying, not really harmful in any way.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 hours ago, ForumTryhard said:

can I be banned off of steam for spamming people with private messages?

I suppose it's possible. Technically Valve "can" ban you from their service for whatever they arbitrarily decide is worthy of a ban. I think you're likely fine in this case, though. If you were spamming with a bot they may do something, but there is a limit to how many "w's" a human hand/attention span can send consecutively.

Maybe don't spam people with private messages. :P You could've reported, blocked, and gotten on with your life, with a little more dignity left and—bonus!—it would've actually been the lazier and safer option as well. It would have been just as effective, possibly more so.

9 hours ago, typographie said:

I suppose it's possible. Technically Valve "can" ban you from their service for whatever they arbitrarily decide is worthy of a ban. I think you're likely fine in this case, though. If you were spamming with a bot they may do something, but there is a limit to how many "w's" a human hand/attention span can send consecutively.

Maybe don't spam people with private messages. :P You could've reported, blocked, and gotten on with your life, with a little more dignity left and—bonus!—it would've actually been the lazier and safer option as well. It would have been just as effective, possibly more so.

Haha yeah, I was just messing with one of the many obvious scammers I meet on a daily basis.