Which GTX 1080 to buy??

Deadlyinx
2 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

lol as a highschooler I can only hope

You can start saving now if you really wanted to. Even if it's just like $5 a month, in 12 month's you'd have $60 excluding what you'd get for your birthday and Christmas if you do get some :)

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

13 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

hay man try your best have fun make friends have connection and study hard. i wish you good luck in university.

TY : )

12 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

You can start saving now if you really wanted to. Even if it's just like $5 a month, in 12 month's you'd have $60 excluding what you'd get for your birthday and Christmas if you do get some :)

Money isn't the problem, it's time. I don't have enough spare time to justify getting a GPU, I only use my Xbox about once or twice a month lol

and I was talking about the 4.0 GPA in college, that's pretty damn good!

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Get EVGA, they have the best customer support. But really, just get the prettiest one. MSI, EVGA, ASUS, they all look good, you really can't go wrong and the maximum difference you're going to find is 2 fps in SOME games. 

And for the people telling you to wait for 1080ti, it depends. The 1080ti is going to cost at least 200$ more than a 1080, so if you're comfortable with that, then wait. If you don't want to spend so much money on a GPU, go with the 1080. People saying that the 1080ti will make the 1080 pointless have no idea what they're talking about, they act like a 200$ difference is negligible. 

10 hours ago, Deadlyinx said:

The "VR today" worries me a bit just because I want to have a future proof VR setup. There seems so little info on the 1080ti pricing and dates so I would have to choose between the 1080 and 1070. This again seems to be a grey area, some sources say both cards handle VR fine, others say they need every ounce of power for some VR games and the 1080 matters. Not sure if you have any insight, but Im starting to lean towards 1070, any good recommendations for 1070 cards?

Ah - the issues of PC building! Unfortunately, future-proofing is always very difficult to do, and is almost always not worth it. You just can't tell what the requirement is going to be for games/VR in the future. 

Personally I have an EVGA GTX 1070 Founders Edition that I am very happy with. However, if you are looking for performance or noise then you will be better off elsewhere. I got it due to the screwed up pricing in the UK (no other cards had arrived in Stock, and prices were getting higher each day - Brexit :)), and also cause I'm a sucker for the FE design!

Main rig: CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (FE) | Mobo: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 | Storage: 512GB Crucial SSD (Ubuntu 23.04) | Case: Corsair 400C |

Laptop: 2023 MacBook Pro 14" | 12 core M2 Pro | 32 GB Unified Memory |

NAS: Synology DS216+II

5 hours ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

Get EVGA, they have the best customer support. But really, just get the prettiest one. MSI, EVGA, ASUS, they all look good, you really can't go wrong and the maximum difference you're going to find is 2 fps in SOME games. 

And for the people telling you to wait for 1080ti, it depends. The 1080ti is going to cost at least 200$ more than a 1080, so if you're comfortable with that, then wait. If you don't want to spend so much money on a GPU, go with the 1080. People saying that the 1080ti will make the 1080 pointless have no idea what they're talking about, they act like a 200$ difference is negligible. 

Very good point above! What will be interesting is to see how much (if at all) the price of the standard GTX 1080 drops. OP has already said that he doesn't want to spend more than necessary...

Main rig: CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (FE) | Mobo: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 | Storage: 512GB Crucial SSD (Ubuntu 23.04) | Case: Corsair 400C |

Laptop: 2023 MacBook Pro 14" | 12 core M2 Pro | 32 GB Unified Memory |

NAS: Synology DS216+II

On 12/18/2016 at 9:19 PM, MrAlbertrocks said:

21 hours ago, Gunner23 said:

Very good point above! What will be interesting is to see how much (if at all) the price of the standard GTX 1080 drops. OP has already said that he doesn't want to spend more than necessary...

Thanks very much for the info guys. Think im gonna go with a 1070, since it does what i want and its a good price point. Thanks for the help!

if you can get a 1080 and choose the most pretty looking in your eyes.

if you want a gpu + beer and some pizza and other stuff get the 1070 and call it a day and enjoy. also get the beautiful looking in your opinion so no hard feelings :).

Live your life like a dream.

I think it only comes down to personal preference and how a card will fit with the rest of theme of the build.

Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

On 12/18/2016 at 10:19 PM, MrAlbertrocks said:

I have to retract. I own a EVGA GTX 1080 FTW myself, and it runs flawlessly, but after a quick search on amazon reviews, I've noticed a LOT of people have encountered terrible issues with the card. It has by far the largest amount of negative reviews compared to the MSI or ASUS cards. Now don't get me wrong, the card itself is amazing if it works properly, i'm just saying there is a slightly higher risk that you get a defective one. I think EVGA really screwed up this year, and it hurts me because i own one of their cards and they have been a very good company in the past, but my recommendation is to stay away from them until they get their sh*t together.

3 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

I have to retract. I own a EVGA GTX 1080 FTW myself, and it runs flawlessly, but after a quick search on amazon reviews, I've noticed a LOT of people have encountered terrible issues with the card. It has by far the largest amount of negative reviews compared to the MSI or ASUS cards. Now don't get me wrong, the card itself is amazing if it works properly, i'm just saying there is a slightly higher risk that you get a defective one. I think EVGA really screwed up this year, and it hurts me because i own one of their cards and they have been a very good company in the past, but my recommendation is to stay away from them until they get their sh*t together.

Thanks for spending the time to come back and clarify. I appreciate the info, ill stick to other major brands.

Get gigabyte g1 i have it and its a beast. It can be loud at the moments, but if that doesnt bother you then go for it.