Punching Holes in X99 Socket Threads

Sazexa

Hello everyone, I'm looking for some advice on a bit of a not so common topic. As a lot of you know, many X99 motherboards do not have holes punched through the PCB on X99 motherboards, where whatever screws are used to secure CPU cooling devices mount into. I recently got an EKWB monoblock for my motherboard, and the instructions specifically say to (gently) use a small screw driver and poke holes through the screw sockets to install the monoblock. I did so, quite carefully and gently, and actually used a screw to thread through and remove the little bit I didn't punch through. Trouble is, when I installed the monoblock, I had some issues, and narrowed it down to one of my RAM channels no longer working. I can't think of anything else that would have caused this. I even heard rumors of if the block is too tight it can cause issues with RAM slots, but even leaving it as relatively loose as possible, I still had two dead slots. So, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the best way to punch through. I've ordered a replacement motherboard, since installing the EK block voids warranty and I doubt ASUS would have honored it. And I'm just looking to get some tips before attempting it a second time, and possibly ruining another $600 motherboard lol

Didn't JayzTwoCents kill an X99 board by punching out those holes?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

What?

I think you must have misread the instructions.

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Didn't JayzTwoCents kill an X99 board by punching out those holes?

I believe I've seen this before. If that's an ASRock board, then I think so. But he used a drill if I'm not mistaken.

4 minutes ago, oskarha said:

What?

I think you must have misread the instructions.

Here's a link to the instructions. In step 3, it says to punch out "stickers" on the PCB. My board didn't have stickers, it was just PCB, with what appeared to have absolutely zero traces in it. https://www.ekwb.com/shop/EK-IM/EK-IM-3831109821596.pdf

1 minute ago, Sazexa said:

Here's a link to the instructions. In step 3, it says to punch out "stickers" on the PCB. My board didn't have stickers, it was just PCB, with what appeared to have absolutely zero traces in it. https://www.ekwb.com/shop/EK-IM/EK-IM-3831109821596.pdf

Wow this is BAD.

People should NOT be drilling holes through their motherboards :o

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

1 minute ago, oskarha said:

Wow this is BAD.

People should NOT be drilling holes through their motherboards :o

I wasn't particularly fond of the idea either. But EK, supposedly, co-developed the block with ASUS. So I trusted them. I also didn't read the installation instructions before ordering, so, I was kind of in the mind set of "the instructions say to do it, might as well try it now that it's here."

Like I said, I can't prove necessarily it was the installation of the monoblock that killed my motherboard's RAM slots, but, I'm betting on that.

Just now, Sazexa said:

I wasn't particularly fond of the idea either. But EK, supposedly, co-developed the block with ASUS. So I trusted them. I also didn't read the installation instructions before ordering, so, I was kind of in the mind set of "the instructions say to do it, might as well try it now that it's here."

Like I said, I can't prove necessarily it was the installation of the monoblock that killed my motherboard's RAM slots, but, I'm betting on that.

it probably is imo, can be a microfracture in one of the traces. motherboards are multilayered so its near impossible to tell if there's a trace running trough the spot you stressed. even if it wasn't it might have been close and fractured under the deforming or internal pressure of it. the only real way of measuring this is by checking continuity with a multimeter but that's an extremely tedious job.

WTF EK? You telling people to PUNCH HOLES INTO THEIR MOTHERBOARDS? SERIOUSLY?

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

WTF EK? You telling people to PUNCH HOLES INTO THEIR MOTHERBOARDS? SERIOUSLY?

I don't fully blame EK. I mean, I was the idiot who willingly put holes in my motherboard. lol

The instructions, if you read, list the board to have a "sticker" on there. It was definitely more resistant than a sticker, I'd say. I wouldn't say it was like actually pushing a screw driver through PCB, I'd imagine that'd take quite a bit of force on a multi-layered board like this, but you get the point.

4 minutes ago, tlink said:

it probably is imo, can be a microfracture in one of the traces. motherboards are multilayered so its near impossible to tell if there's a trace running trough the spot you stressed. even if it wasn't it might have been close and fractured under the deforming or internal pressure of it. the only real way of measuring this is by checking continuity with a multimeter but that's an extremely tedious job.

That's what I was thinking. Or maybe even perhaps in the process of installing the block I might have nudged/bent the board a way it didn't agree without realizing it? I suppose that's possible too. It's not like this is my first system or that I'm in-experienced. I have plenty of electrical testing tools, but, as far as points on the board to test continuity for I wouldn't even know where to start.

As far as bad/broken RAM slots, it's my C-Channel on the board. RAM in any other slots works fine, and is fully recognized in BIOS/Windows. But when I place RAM into the broken slots, it recognizes a manufacturer and some JDEC specs, but no timings/latency, speed, or capacity. And trying to boot with XMP enabled with RAM in that slot causes the system to fail to post. So, something is definitely wrong with it.

1 hour ago, Sazexa said:

I believe I've seen this before. If that's an ASRock board, then I think so. But he used a drill if I'm not mistaken.

Rule #1 

Never punch holes into a motherboard. If that area needs to have a hole. Asus or any other board maker will do it already. 

Rule #2

Read Rule #1

Rule #3

Read rules #1 and #2

The instructions to punch holes does not mean for you to physically make a hole. The holes are already there, just covered up. Asus x99 rog has a socket changer call x-socket. You need to remove the stock one and install the x socket version, then you can mount a ek  or others cpu block.

Rampage-V-Extreme-overview-15.png

Default back plate

1-R5E_10-Motherboard-backplates-980x626.

X-socket /II back plate

Notice the holes, your suppose to drill.

Sinstall4.jpg

What board do you have $600?

Rampage V edition 10?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

@NumLock21 I don't understand. In that first picture, the left half has holes but the right half does not (motherboard is there). How does changing the socket remove the motherboard from those spots?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

51 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Rule #1 

Never punch holes into a motherboard. If that area needs to have a hole. Asus or any other board maker will do it already. 

Rule #2

Read Rule #1

Rule #3

Read rules #1 and #2

The instructions to punch holes does not mean for you to physically make a hole. The holes are already there, just covered up. Asus x99 rog has a socket changer call x-socket. You need to remove the stock one and install the x socket version, then you can mount a ek  or others cpu block.

Rampage-V-Extreme-overview-15.png

Default back plate

1-R5E_10-Motherboard-backplates-980x626.

X-socket /II back plate

Notice the holes, your suppose to drill.

Sinstall4.jpg

What board do you have $600?

Rampage V edition 10?

Yes, the R5E10. And the EK directions didn't specify to change a socket. If you read them. Where do I get the other socket type?

34 minutes ago, Sazexa said:

Yes, the R5E10. And the EK directions didn't specify to change a socket. If you read them. Where do I get the other socket type?

The r5e10 backplate is already the x socket type. Just look at the back of your board. For top part, need to contact asus to buy one. It comes with the rampage v extreme. Even if your board top side uses the standard socket. You should still see them holes.

Here is your board and with the EK monoblock installed. The top part is using the standard socket.

Spoiler

EK-FB-ASUS-R5E10-Monoblock_NP_Fit_1600.j

@djdwosk97

That picture is a comparison between a standard socket and a X-Socket. You unscrew the 4 screws that's on the socket. This lets you remove it from the board, then you remove the back plate and that's how you get that hole as shown in the picture.

https://rog.asus.com/articles/guides/guide-install-x-socket-ii-on-rampage-v-extreme/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 hour ago, Sazexa said:

The back of the board does have that bracket. There's just something filling the socket holes still.1464807922847.jpg

Try unscrewing the socket and see what's covering it. If it's a sticker. Try to peel it off.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Try unscrewing the socket and see what's covering it. If it's a sticker. Try to peel it off.

I'll try that on the old board when the new one comes in.