Is buying Windows worth it?

TechnoZamb19

I'm building a pc for Xmas, I have all the components in my Amazon cart but I'm missing something... the operative system. I have a really important question for you: nowadays is buying the operative system for $80+ worth it when out there on Youtube there are tons of tutorial to get it for free? I mean do they work? And if they do, is still worth it to get it in an illegal way? Is it possible that Microsoft will block my hdd because I have an Illegal copy of Windows? Will I be able to upgrade my OS when Windows 11 will come out? And you, how did you get your OS? Tell me everything I need to know about...

Your using it, pay for it. If you don't want to, just run it unactivated, there is a watermark and you can't change the deskop pciture, but it workfs

For cracked versions, they work, no problems.

No, stealing it is usually a much better deal. This is a joke, I'm not condoning piracy.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1. No such thing as free Windows.

2. No such thing as Windows 11. Microsoft made it clear that there will be no other Windows and that they will be releasing major updates to Windows 10.

3. Check out Reddit for cheap Windows keys

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Dont Steal

I'm just a random teenager from New Jersey. Why would you listen to me?

you can get windows cheaper, but that is a gray area.. Microsoft can't block your installation of windows if they find it ingenuine, they'll just invalidate the key. 

6 minutes ago, TechnoZamb19 said:

I'm building a pc for Xmas, I have all the components in my Amazon cart but I'm missing something... the operative system. I have a really important question for you: nowadays is buying the operative system for $80+ worth it when out there on Youtube there are tons of tutorial to get it for free? I mean do they work? And if they do, is still worth it to get it in an illegal way? Is it possible that Microsoft will block my hdd because I have an Illegal copy of Windows? Will I be able to upgrade my OS when Windows 11 will come out? And you, how did you get your OS? Tell me everything I need to know about...

Windows 11 won't come out. Also you can get legit Windows for much less,on G2A/Kinguin/Reddit

We will not help you with illegal versions of the OS, it's strictly against forum rules. 

It's a one off purchase for something that will last well over the upgrade cycle of your PC's hardware. With how cheap you can get Windows license keys from Reddit or places like G2A, there is no point in not buying it. Microsoft seems to have intentions of just updating Windows 10 indefinitely, perhaps taking Apple's approach of just making any upgrades, even if they're essentially a new OS, free.  

Um Windows is not being released, only updates. 2. You could pirate I never ever ever condone to do such a thing. Looking to $3000 in fines. 3. Just go on Kinguin and buy it for like 20 bucks.

The geek himself.

2 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

You can use it for free, just don't activate.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

then you get the annoying activate windows in all your apps on the bottom right.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Thats what I'm doing now, cuz money is money and I'm cheap. I'll pay when my free trial expires, #winrar.

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

You could spend only 30 bucks with Kinguin or g2a.

7 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

No, stealing it is usually a much better deal. This is a joke, I'm not condoning piracy.

while you're at it why pay for anything 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

2 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

then you get the annoying activate windows in all your apps on the bottom right.

Easily removed with a registry tweak, just like how you customize any part of windows.

2 minutes ago, YedZed said:

Thats what I'm doing now, cuz money is money and I'm cheap. I'll pay when my free trial expires, #winrar.

7 zip is better than winrar and you don't need to live with the burden of thinking it should be paid for :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Easily removed with a registry tweak, just like how you customize any part of windows.

7 zip is better than winrar and you don't need to live with the burden of thinking it should be paid for :P

Yup. Planning on doing that on sunday.

13 minutes ago, TechnoZamb19 said:

There wont ever be a "Windows 11"...  Second, how the fuck would someone "lock" your hard drive?  Third, why are you using a hard drive at all?  Fourth, you should just buy it you'll save yourself 101 headaches.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

10 minutes ago, MANIDY inc said:

get it on kinguin for $40 like i did 

What he said. Sometimes they're even cheaper than that. I've been using the key from them for a year now with no problems.

2 minutes ago, featherwolf said:

What he said. Sometimes they're even cheaper than that. I've been using the key from them for a year now with no problems.

I got a 30 buck key from them among game keys. They are all great. Only thing: Support is impossible to reach in loaded times, but posting on they're facebook initiates an immediate reply. :P 

Surprised that a mod hasn't made a statement yet. And yes, buying it is worth it, however I generally would look for the cheapest way to do that.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

21 minutes ago, TechnoZamb19 said:

I bought my windows 10 pro legally from kinguin for 25 dollars and for the 2 weeks I own the license, never had an issue. The product activated easily. Really good overall!Just buy from the safest dealer, aka the 1 seller that has 100% positive rating. I do not suggest this in any way. In other words, don't PM me saying that the code you bought didn't work and that it is all my fault. If you do your research, i suppose you will be fine!

Project "Transcend": i7 7700k-R9 380 4GB by MSi, Z170-HD3P

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $453 ($123 with sales)
  • Games owned: 76
  • Games not played: 40 (53%)
  • Hours on record: 667.0h

Some of you said that there will be no Windows 11, but only Windows 10 upgrades. So I'm asking you: If I pirate it or buy it from g2a will I be able to get these upgrades?

30 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

2. No such thing as Windows 11. Microsoft made it clear that there will be no other Windows and that they will be releasing major updates to Windows 10.

3. Check out Reddit for cheap Windows keys

If I pirate it or buy it from g2a will I be able to get these upgrades?