Nintendo Switch to run on Nvidia's Maxwell, not Pascal.

According to developers that talked to Venturebeat on condition of anonymity Nintendo is using Nvidia's Maxwell architecture in the Nintendo Switch, not the newer Pascal architecture.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/12/14/nintendo-switch-specs-less-powerful-than-playstation-4/

Two sources (who asked to keep their names out of this story) confirmed to GamesBeat that the Switch uses Nvidia’s last-generation Maxwell graphics-processing architecture. Nvidia introduced its new Pascal architecture earlier this year, but that technology is not ready for the Tegra chip going into the Switch. The custom Maxwell Tegra (which uses a 20nm process as opposed to the more efficient 16nm process of the Pascal) in the machine is still powerful enough to play Nintendo-style games that rely on quality art over horsepower, but don’t expect Switch software to match the graphical fidelity of the highest-end PS4 games.

Thoughts: As those of us here probably all realise this will likely mean that once again Nintendo will have an underpowered console that will be good for Nintendo's own games but be terrible for 3rd party games.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

Hmm, I don't think it'll matter that much, to be honest.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

IPC is in the same ballpark between Pascal and Maxwell anyway. The only difference is clock speed and SMP for VR

1 minute ago, RagnarokDel said:

IPC is in the same ballpark between Pascal and Maxwell anyway. The only difference is clock speed and SMP for VR

and efficiency, which definitely matters on a mobile device

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Exactly, Maxwell, runs hotter and consumes more power per clock.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Losing the node probably hurt efficiency more than the architecture change. Maxwell on 28 nm was quite efficient to begin with. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Couldn't care less so long as it is decent in terms of battery/performance and has good games

I already have a gaming PC, I don't need a wanna be PC

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

8 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Losing the node probably hurt efficiency more than the architecture change. Maxwell on 28 nm was quite efficient to begin with. 

The two architectures are extremely similar afaik. So the efficiency is almost entirely lost from the node. But remember, the maxwell tegra is on 20nm, not 28nm.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

The two architectures are extremely similar afaik. So the efficiency is almost entirely lost from the node. But remember, there maxwell tegra is on 20nm, not 28nm.

Wow really!?

That's good news

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

The two architectures are nearly identical afaik

Doubtful either of us are in the position to say for certain they are nearly identical. Though it would make sense if Maxwell was originally slated for 16 nm. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, AresKrieger said:

Couldn't care less so long as it is decent in terms of battery/performance and has good games

I already have a gaming PC, I don't need a wanna be PC

This a million and one times over!  I already have a nice PC capable of chewing up 1080p like gum, I don't need a box struggling to do the same thing with a fraction of the performance. 

The whole point of a having a console on top of a gaming PC are fun games/experiences you don't get elsewhere. 

One thing I haven't seen anybody talk about it that it has a vent with a heatsink behind it(and most likely a fan). This was seen on the Jimmy Fallon show(if you look close enough). This just means that its packing "hot hardware"(which may or may not be due to it having Maxwell), but I hope the fan isn't too loud.

13 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

One thing I haven't seen anybody talk about it that it has a vent with a heatsink behind it(and most likely a fan). This was seen on the Jimmy Fallon show(if you look close enough). This just means that its packing "hot hardware"(which may or may not be due to it having Maxwell), but I hope the fan isn't too loud.

Lol. It probably will run hot and loud.

Then again, what do I know? I'm still running Kepler xD which is kind of hot and most definitely loud.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, DELTAprime said:

Lol the times when we were praising maxwell for its efficiency has now reduced to this xD

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Did anyone who wasn't living in some kind of fantasy world really expect this to match the PS4? It's a portable device and one that is rumoured to be reasonably priced. You can't have all of the things at once. And anyways, it being even remotely close is kinda impressive. Historically portable consoles have been about 10 years behind the curve in terms of power. The Switch is powerful enough that we're thinking about it as a modern home console. Imagine if the GBA had been as powerful as the PS2, that would have been nuts. That's what the Switch is.

1 hour ago, QueenDemetria said:

The current rumours are that the screen itself is 720p which isn't that bad for a portable device. Yes there are phones with higher resolution screens but this thing is going to be running actual games not Candy Crush and Facebook. So when it's undocked? The performance scales back, the fan slows down and the GPU is given less power. It's rumoured that when in this mode the fan isn't noticeable. When docked? There's a 1080p display, it gets full power from the wall and the fans ramp up. 

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Its custom designed so I wouldn't worry about power and heat. Nvidia has probably done something to make it more efficient over standard Maxwell.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Nothing new here, Pascal (and Parker) we're only ever rumoured, never confirmed and its already pretty much confirmed Switch will sit somewhere between XB1 & PS4.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

Power efficiency isn't, which is kind of important on a portable device. So it's kind of disappointing to know we might just get 2 hours tops of playtime out of it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's 20nm though, and not 28. That's going to help a lot. Pascals main earnings comes from just being 16nm. Just shrinking Maxwell to 20nm should give some good results compared to 28nm Maxwell

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

4 hours ago, QueenDemetria said:

According to patents people found yesterday, Switch has a fan, which is active both in portable and console mode. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Yeah okay.....

raw (336×400)

Groomlake Authority

5 minutes ago, aerandir92 said:

According to patents people found yesterday, Switch has a fan, which is active both in portable and console mode. 

You can see some ventilation right next to the 3.5mm jack (not Apple approved)

Nintendo_Switch_12.0.jpg

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

45 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Power efficiency isn't, which is kind of important on a portable device. So it's kind of disappointing to know we might just get 2 hours tops of playtime out of it.

6 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

6 hours ago, DELTAprime said:

Don't think efficiency and battery life would be bad, It would run on a 720p screen and Maxwell isn't a power hog. Plus, Nvidia has time to optimise it even more.

I think Nvidia just gave up on making a SoCs for pascal with the exception of ones for cars, so that could be the reason. Regardless, it's a rumour so take everything with a pinch of salt.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1) the console has been in development for presumably years, it's only normal the hardware inside will be slightly outdated. 2) It probably won't matter, at all. If you make a console to try and compete with PCs in terms of power you'll end up with a half arsed product that is neither here nor there, as sony and ms have shown. What matters is that its games run smoothly and fit the console's controls and design philosophy.

If they don't have that idiotic internet fee they already made a more compelling product than what its competition offers in my opinion.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*