Ram Discussion

Hi,

So I started a thread about ram and i'm getting mixed opinions on Cas Latency I don't want to spend silly amounts  of money just for lower timings and higher MHz if it makes little to no difference. I've seen some videos online that show extra MHz can make a big difference in games like GTA V and the Witcher 3 almost 20fps in some cases :o 

So I'm going to list some kits I can get and want to know your opinions:

Crucial Ballistix Elite 32gb 2666mhz CL16 - £146

Corsair Vengeance 32gb 3000mhz CL15 £187

Kingston HyperX Savage 32gb 2666mhz CL13 £224

Kingston HyperX Savage 32gb 2400mhz CL12 £216

Which is the best kit for performance per £

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

get the capacity you want for the cheapest price it makes very little difference.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Just now, vorticalbox said:

get the capacity you want for the cheapest price it makes very little difference.

So Cas Latency doesn't matter either that's the part that making it hard to decide the crucial kit is such a good price for 32gb vs the others but it has the highest cas latency although the timings on the corsair are 15-17-17 the crucial kit is 16-17-17 so difference between those two will be minimal xD so at £146 would you say the crucial is better than paying I think it was £230 for the same crucial kit but it runs at 3000mhz and has a cas latency of 15-16-16

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

I did a test in the ddr3 days, went from (1600) cl9 to cl11 and lost about 6% on my geek bench score. No difference in games, editing or anything else that i noticed, only changed because i ran out of ram.

So just make sure you have enough, most quality ram you can run at lower latency anyway. Can be a bitch to stability test though, no worse than a manual overclock.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

2 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

I did a test in the ddr3 days, went from (1600) cl9 to cl11 and lost about 6% on my geek bench score. No difference in games, editing or anything else that i noticed, only changed because i ran out of ram.

So just make sure you have enough, most quality ram you can run at lower latency anyway. Can be a bitch to stability test though, no worse than a manual overclock.

Yeah x99 itself is not easy to keep stable I hate x99 tbh and am considering moving over to z270 or Zen but Zen could be ages yet and I don't want to leave it too long as my cpu might not be worth anything once zen comes along lol it gets quite annoying cause I use an AIO and if I have it overclocked it ramps up and down every couple seconds I would rather it stay ramped up tbh might have to set the fan to 50% lowest or something to fix that but with ram the highest I have achieved stable is actually only 2400mhz :o which is why I was concerned more about case latency than speed I just remembered when I was running 2666mhz it kept crashing in planet coaster xD

Custom PC:

Then I'd go with whats ever has the tightest timings and then fastest speed.

But still at the end of the day just make sure you have enough ram in as few pairs as possible to maximise oc's

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

2 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Then I'd go with whats ever has the tightest timings and then fastest speed.

But still at the end of the day just make sure you have enough ram in as few pairs as possible to maximise oc's

yeah so if I go with 4 stick two each side of my cpu will that be ok later on if I do decide to go back to a mainstream platform like z170/z270 that only has 4 dims?

Custom PC:

As long as it its ddr4 and a quality brand should all be good. 4 sticks in a dual chancel system can limit your cpu overclock from the extra controller stress, but nothing to worry about much at all.

Just now, it_dont_work said:

As long as it its ddr4 and a quality brand should all be good. 4 sticks in a dual chancel system can limit your cpu overclock from the extra controller stress, but nothing to worry about much at all.

tbh with the clock speeds so high already on skylake and kabylake I wouldn't worry to much about overclocking 4.0 base or even 4.2 base for the 7700k and upto 4.5 boost is plenty for me leaving it at stock is less hassle with stability xD

Custom PC:

Day to day there isn't much benefit for most people. I just like sitting on the edge of stability and looking at the pretty numbers...usually without a bsod.

1 minute ago, it_dont_work said:

Day to day there isn't much benefit for most people. I just like sitting on the edge of stability and looking at the pretty numbers...usually without a bsod.

haha :D  Think the only cpu's I've ever seen quite large performance gains from overclocking is my 5960x but that's only because at stock the single core performance is pretty poor and my Athlon 240 again because it was pretty weak single core xD

Custom PC: