Fast Sync, V-Sync, or Frame Cap for GTX 1070 @ 1080p 60hz

nkucz

Hey guys,

I started another thread on this but it got off topic, and no one really answered my question. I currently only have a 23" 60hz IPS monitor and have just ordered a GTX 1070 as an upgrade to my very old and weak GTX 660 2GB. Until I can afford a G-Sync monitor I will have to stick with this 60hz panel, so my question is which should I use to stop stuttering, and tearing; Fast Sync, V-Sync, or a Frame Cap? I mostly play BF1, TF2, Cod 4 Remastered, and CSGO. Also, should I dish out the extra money for a G-Sync monitor or save some money and get a regular 144hz 1ms monitor?

Thanks

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

Adaptive Vsync

^unless they've changed the name, that's what you want to use

Roses are red, Templars wear white. 

Will you take Jerusalem with me tonight?

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Use Fast Sync. It's basically another take on triple buffering + VSync. You can read more about it at http://www.anandtech.com/show/2794/2

GSYNC is useful if you play games whose frame rates vary wildly, but that's about it.

Will I get less tearing using Fast Sync on a 144hz monitor than a 60hz monitor with my GTX 1070?

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

14 minutes ago, nkucz said:

Also, should I dish out the extra money for a G-Sync monitor or save some money and get a regular 144hz 1ms monitor?

IPS + Gsync +144hz is what you  should aim  for.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

2 minutes ago, Praesi said:

IPS + Gsync +144hz is what you  should aim  for.

I can't afford that, the only Gsync monitor I could really afford EVENTUALLY is the 24" acer predator 1080p 144hz Tn panel. 

I highly recommend you check out some of this guys' videos on youtube. His channel is Battle(non)sense and he goes pretty in-depth into lots of topics, and recently made a video explaining the differences between all the different sync options.  Be warned though, the videos are pretty long and can be boring if you aren't THAT into it. VERY informative though.

When in doubt, re-format.

2 minutes ago, nkucz said:

Will I get less tearing using Fast Sync on a 144hz monitor than a 60hz monitor with my GTX 1070?

Yes.

The difference between Fast Sync and Vsync is:

• In Vsync, the video card doesn't bother rendering a new frame until the monitor says "Okay, I'm ready for a new image". This adds artificial input lag of one frame behind.
  • In Fast Sync, the video card continues to render frames, but drops them until the monitor says "Okay, I'm ready for a new image", at which point the video card sends the most recent render.

Look at the article I linked, it has pictures that effectively show the difference.

I can't afford that, the only Gsync monitor I could really afford EVENTUALLY is the 24" acer predator 1080p 144hz Tn panel. 

Safe more Money if you can wait a bit longer.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 minute ago, Praesi said:

Safe more Money if you can wait a bit longer.

As a college student I will not be able to justify spending over $400 on a monitor for many years. 

I'm honestly so lost with all of this. I thought that fast sync works better when you FPS is 2-3x more than your monitors refresh rate. Therefore wouldn't I get less studdering or tearing with a 1070 and a 60hz monitor? Why would 144hz be better unless it was gsync?

2 hours ago, nkucz said:

I'm honestly so lost with all of this. I thought that fast sync works better when you FPS is 2-3x more than your monitors refresh rate. Therefore wouldn't I get less studdering or tearing with a 1070 and a 60hz monitor? Why would 144hz be better unless it was gsync?

Fast sync will create stuttering lag @ 60 hz...

Use adaptive Vsync. Best way to go

5 minutes ago, smokefest said:

Fast sync will create stuttering lag @ 60 hz...

Use adaptive Vsync. Best way to go

why would it do that as long as I'm above 60 fps all the time, or even more likely at 120 fps. 

1 minute ago, nkucz said:

why would it do that as long as I'm above 60 fps all the time, or even more likely at 120 fps. 

dunno, thats what i've experienced. Fast sync makes me lag a lot even if i got high fps, on 60 hz...

Why not just use adaptive vsync ? Works fine, and no lag ( a bit of lag input heh ) for cs go just take it off, for other games, fine

Just now, smokefest said:

dunno, thats what i've experienced. Fast sync makes me lag a lot even if i got high fps, on 60 hz...

Why not just use adaptive vsync ? Works fine, and no lag ( a bit of lag input heh ) for cs go just take it off, for other games, fine

because of the input lag

because of the input lag

NEed gsync :P

I use vsync for bf1, 6700k gtx 1070, 1080p @ 75 hz...

I dont get input lag or, cant notice it, i always finish with top score, :P

the thing with fast sync as well is that once frame rates dip below the refresh rate of your monitor, it'll automatically allow tearing. 

2 minutes ago, smokefest said:

NEed gsync :P

I use vsync for bf1, 6700k gtx 1070, 1080p @ 75 hz...

I dont get input lag or, cant notice it, i always finish with top score, :P

I'm not an extremely intense gamer so I would rather have a little lag anyway I guess. BF1 and TF2 are my main games. Would 144hz regular monitor benefit over a 60hz regular monitor for stopping tearing?

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

the thing with fast sync as well is that once frame rates dip below the refresh rate of your monitor, it'll automatically allow tearing. 

Well doesn't the same occur for v-sync... it only prevent tearing when you are above the monitors refresh rate?

I'm not an extremely intense gamer so I would rather have a little lag anyway I guess. BF1 and TF2 are my main games. Would 144hz regular monitor benefit over a 60hz regular monitor for stopping tearing?

Well doesn't the same occur for v-sync... it only prevent tearing when you are above the monitors refresh rate?

144 hz regular monitor = 144 fps needed

1 minute ago, smokefest said:

144 hz regular monitor = 144 fps needed

That is what I thought, someone said that it would help prevent tearing but that didn't make sense to me. 

fast sync works when fps is higher than monitor refresh rate. for v-sync, it works well when you get consistent fps matching your monitor refresh rate. otherwise frames drop once you dip below the refresh rate. some games use double or triple buffering to mitigate this effect

2 hours ago, pwn_intended said:

I highly recommend you check out some of this guys' videos on youtube. His channel is Battle(non)sense and he goes pretty in-depth into lots of topics, and recently made a video explaining the differences between all the different sync options.  Be warned though, the videos are pretty long and can be boring if you aren't THAT into it. VERY informative though.

was going to post these myself

2 hours ago, pwn_intended said:

Just watched the first video, so essentially he is saying my best bet when discussing v-sync and fast sync would be neither. To try and maintain 144 fps in game on my 60hz monitor should make the tearing very hard to see. Also, if I had a 144hz regular monitor and maintain 144 fps in game I will basically not be able to see the tearing at all. Is this correct?

7 minutes ago, Prysin said:

was going to post these myself

So neither v-sync or fast sync? Just try and maintain 144 fps in game and it should mask the tearing?

running 144fps on a 60hz is a massive waste, as you're not even seeing the benefits of 144fps.. but yes, it is true that tearing won't be as big a problem at such high fps. though you will have to note if you can maintain a consistent +100fps range. 

employing fast-sync would be your best bet if you really want to run high fps with a low refresh rate panel.