Verizon wont defuse the bomb. (Verizon wont kill the note 7)

alizaidi2000

Should Verizon have defused the bomb?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should Verizon have defused the bomb?

• Yes
    • No.
    • Anybody that still uses the Note 7 deserves whats coming

Verizon will not be releasing a just-announced Galaxy Note 7 software update designed to stop the recalled smartphone from charging. In a statement, the leading US mobile carrier attributed the decision to concerns over safety for customers who might not have another mobile phone to use after the Note 7 has been crippled.

“Verizon will not be taking part in this update because of the added risk this could pose to Galaxy Note 7 users that do not have another device to switch to,” the company’s statement reads. “We will not push a software upgrade that will eliminate the ability for the Note 7 to work as a mobile device in the heart of the holiday travel season. We do not want to make it impossible to contact family, first responders or medical professionals in an emergency situation.” The Galaxy Note 7 remains banned on airlines by the FAA and is prohibited from being used on many other public transit services in the United States as well. "

Verizon seems to think it’s already done an effective job communicating the recall to consumers alongside Samsung, but the carrier believes this update is a step too far — even for a phone that’s a very real fire hazard.

The Verge is reaching out to other US providers to see whether they plan to roll out Samsung’s update to remaining Note 7 customers. Sprint has announced that it will wait until January 8th to release the Note 7 update — after the holiday season has concluded. AT&T is doing the same thing, but launching a few days update on January 5th. “The battery will no longer recharge,” the company confirmed in a statement. “This Note 7 was recalled and is banned on all flights in both checked and carry-on luggage.” Samsung said the update would take 30 days to roll out across carriers, so AT&T and Sprint are holding to the end of that time frame, whereas Verizon is outright rejecting it for now.

T-Mobile will release the Note 7 update even earlier on December 27th, so after the Christmas holiday but before New Years. “We always want to do the right thing and make sure our customers are safe, so on December 27th we will roll out Samsung’s latest software update, which is designed to stop all remaining Note 7 devices from charging. These devices were recalled by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) on Oct. 13 and should no longer be used.”

Source:http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/12/9/13899852/verizon-refuses-samsung-note-7-update

1 hour ago, Arri said:

So when their Note blows up and starts a fire, what phone are they going to dial 911 with?

I know right? its so stupid

This.....sort of makes sense considering the time of year.

What they should be doing, is working with manufacturers to recall and replace this device with something safer. Instead of merely covering their own asses from the most immediate source of lawsuit.

They're worried about "you broke my phone and X happened and I got hurt". When they should be breaking the phone and replacing it with something that isn't going to explode.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

already discussed here:

Thats when, the software update was announced. This story is saying the that Verizon wont push it to there models

Just now, alizaidi2000 said:

Thats when, the software update was announced. This story is saying the that Verizon wont push it to there models

yes, that's discussed too

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Statistically speaking you'll never have the phone explode on you, so meh

Doesn't matter to the court system. 1 instance equates to potentially hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars in a wrongful injury lawsuit.

Have to cover medical bills, and therapy from "PTSD" or other emotional trauma, etc.

Remember that lawyers are human scum, and will spin ANYTHING into the most ridiculous thing possible, in order to jack up that settlement price, and make as much money for themselves as possible.

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

yes, that's discussed too

Well, here is main post for it, not a huge deal.

1 hour ago, AresKrieger said:

Statistically speaking you'll never have the phone explode on you, so meh

People have still been injured, i'm pretty sure.

Well, here is main post for it, not a huge deal.

opening numerous posts about the same thing is at least against the forum guidelines

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

Doesn't matter to the court system.

I'm aware, however you can't realistically confiscate it from people's homes thus it is a mute point, frankly the fact this could have been avoided with a mm of extra space or a mm smaller battery makes this hilarious.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

People have still been injured, i'm pretty sure.

And people get struck by lightning, my point was the odds are fairly low, and significantly lower if you use trickle charge instead of the fast one.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, AresKrieger said:

I'm aware, however you can't realistically confiscate it from people's homes thus it is a mute point, frankly the fact this could have been avoided with a mm of extra space or a mm smaller battery makes this hilarious.

Oh I agree, it's hilarious.

But again, Verizon should be pushing this update, informing its customers of the update, and replacing the phone with something else. This only shows that Verizon didn't properly test the product before offering it through their service, making them liable.

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

opening numerous posts about the same thing is at least against the forum guidelines

Nobody is really discussing about this issue. I think its a relevant issue that needs to be discussed. You simply mentioned it, but have not actually posted anything about it. So, no you simply mentioned the topic but not actually discussing it. This is a post where we can discuss it and making this a main issue. This is not even close to a duplicate thread.

Apparently for Verizon, losing maps for navigating this Christmas season is worse than carrying a potential incendiary. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Apparently for Verizon, losing maps for navigating this Christmas season is worse than carrying a potential incendiary. 

Which is hilarious because their App for GPS is completely terrible.

My mom's three year old Garmin GPS was more accurate, more up-to-date, and more reliable. And this is based on using it 4 months ago to get to a restaurant supply store, so I could buy a roasting pan for a rib roast for her memorial service.

VZ Navigator, completely and utterly failed to acknowledge the existence of said address, and when out of range of my home WIFI, refused to even function. Even with 3 bars of service.

This is for a paid subscription GPS service.

Verizon is complete and utter shit.

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

Which is hilarious because their App for GPS is completely terrible.

My mom's three year old Garmin GPS was more accurate, more up-to-date, and more reliable. And this is based on using it 4 months ago to get to a restaurant supply store, so I could buy a roasting pan for a rib roast for her memorial service.

VZ Navigator, completely and utterly failed to acknowledge the existence of said address, and when out of range of my home WIFI, refused to even function.

This is for a paid subscription GPS service.

I'm pretty sure most people will use Google Maps regardless of their wireless carrier. But it only shows that VZW is not so serious when it comes to safety. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

8 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Doesn't matter to the court system. 1 instance equates to potentially hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars in a wrongful injury lawsuit.

Have to cover medical bills, and therapy from "PTSD" or other emotional trauma, etc.

Remember that lawyers are human scum, and will spin ANYTHING into the most ridiculous thing possible, in order to jack up that settlement price, and make as much money for themselves as possible.

Counter Point: You mean like spinning the fact that Verizon disabled a users phone from charging, preventing them from phoning emergency services at a critical time which lead to loss of life?

Verizon has a point here. While more does have to be done to get the remaining Note 7's off the streets, should you arbitrarily deny people access to phone service presents a safety risk in and of itself.  Remember, a user who doesn't pay their phone bill, can STILL call for emergency services. They can all emergency services without even a SIM card installed.  A phone with a dead and unchangeable battery on the other hand can not contact emergency services.  Willfully interfering with access to emergency services is actually dangerous, a lot more dangerous than the risk of a Note 7's battery from igniting, and something that a telecom company could readily be held legally liable for the repercussions of that.  That is absolutely not a trivial thing.

Okay Verizon, how about this....Block all communication except communication with 911. Then 10 of the 20 remaining assholes with a Note 7 will trade it in. 

I'd say fuck it and let them keep their bombs if they want to, but the problem is those asshats will probably go on to sue someone when it explodes and/or cause trouble/affect someone else's life with their bullshit. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

Okay Verizon, how about this....Block all communication except communication with 911. Then 10 of the 20 remaining assholes with a Note 7 will trade it in. 

I'd say fuck it and let them keep their bombs if they want to, but the problem is those asshats will probably go on to sue someone when it explodes and/or cause trouble/affect someone else's life with their bullshit. 

Verizon does not make the software update, they simply push it to there devices. But i get what you mean. Rather than samsung giving people a replacement note 7 they should've allowed them to get a new samsung phone(that does not explode) for free.

Verizon does not make the software update, they simply push it to there devices. But i get what you mean. Rather than samsung giving people a replacement note 7 they should've allowed them to get a new samsung phone(that does not explode) for free.

They should be able to detect the model of the phone connecting to their cell towers and create explicit dial plan rules to only allow a white-listed set of numbers to be dialed.

People with a Note 7 were/are allowed to exchange it for an S7/Edge + money (iirc).

And Verizon could disable all phones/numbers from making a call to anything other than 911. All Verizon would have to do is disable the sim card/phone number. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

People with a Note 7 were/are allowed to exchange it for an S7/Edge + money (iirc).

And Verizon could disable all phones/numbers from making a call to anything other than 911. All Verizon would have to do is disable the sim card/phone number. 

Oh i thought, it was for a replacement note 7 which does not explode(but did).