Is my University most likely AC or N wireless network?

nkucz

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a PCIe Wireless Card or a Wireless USB Adapter for my gaming PC, because at school we do not have any ethernet to plug into. However, I don't know whether or not to buy an AC card or a N card because I don't know which my school has, and I'm unsure how to find out. What is it most likely? I'd rather not spend too much on this around $30 or so. 

Thanks!

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

I would just get AC anyway because I'm pretty sure it includes N and some older ones but if they ever upgrade the wifi or you want to connect to an actual AC network you'll be able to take advantage of it.  It's probably AC because schools are usually good with keeping up on technology.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

If they have upgraded in the last 5 years, its probably AC. Most schools ive seen are using cisco and rukus, and all the new models are ac.

If you have a andriod phone or a laptop there are wifi monitoring apps that will show the version.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If they have upgraded in the last 5 years, its probably AC. Most schools ive seen are using cisco and rukus, and all the new models are ac.

If you have a andriod phone or a laptop there are wifi monitoring apps that will show the version.

any examples of one of these apps?

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

1 hour ago, Gamessys said:

I would just get AC anyway because I'm pretty sure it includes N and some older ones but if they ever upgrade the wifi or you want to connect to an actual AC network you'll be able to take advantage of it.  It's probably AC because schools are usually good with keeping up on technology.

my school still uses iMac G5

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

my school still uses iMac G5

No idea what that is but congrats.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

My school is pretty much all brand new and updated, I'm sure they have AC. 

59 minutes ago, Darrenl81 said:

Slightly obsolete mac many are powerpc but others on intel (why I say slightly)

we can't even get on google drive, which is what we're supposed to use these computers for.

no chrome, no firefox.

it is powerpc and 256mb ram..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Alright well AC it is I guess...

59 minutes ago, Darrenl81 said:

Yeah I know that struggle I got a powermac on intel but it's still not able to do what I need lol

no, this is school computers.

what year is it again? 2016.. soon to be 2017.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

8 minutes ago, nkucz said:

Id get the cheaper one. Should still get 100mb/s + with good aps(normally schools have top of the line access points)

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id get the cheaper one. Should still get 100mb/s + with good aps(normally schools have top of the line access points)

So that should be pretty decent for gaming right?

Just now, nkucz said:

So that should be pretty decent for gaming right?

Gaming doesn't require much network speed at all. You can game with 1 meg up one meg down.

It will be fine.

I would get the AC adaptor as it is well documented that you get a better connection even with AC at one end only than if both ends are N - this is because AC chipsets are newer and chipset makers (intel, broadcom, etc) are constantly making improvements to all sorts of different things. Plus even if your school only has N now, they would be overdue for an upgrade to AC. My company doesn't do univerity dorms, but we do apartment complexes for students, and even the stingiest of property owners has put in AC in the last 3 years, unless they had just put in N. IT hardware is usually on a 5 year rotation.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: