Attempted to start 3 year old computer, 5 beeps? HELP PLZ :(

nkucz

Hey guys,

So in 2012 I built a gaming PC with Ivy Bridge, it was a core i5 3570k in a ASRock Z77 Pro 3 Motherboard. Eventually around 2014 I stopped gaming and sold my graphics card and a few other parts to the system. However, I got the itch to start again, so I went down to my basement looking in my Fractal Define R4 and found a motherboard, CPU, and a Power supply. So I ordered some Crucial DDR3 8GB 1600 CAS 9 ram and threw it in the system to see if it would still run. I hit the power button and the CPU fan starts spinning along with the case fans and everything is looking good (mind you I'm trying to use onboard graphics because I no longer have a video card, was gunna buy one but waiting to see if the system runs), but nothing ever shows up on my display. I tried both HDMI and VGA from the onboard graphics, so I decided to plug in my mobo speaker and I'm getting a 5 beep code, short beeps. What does this mean? I read a generic post on a forum saying that it means CPU failure, but another post directed towards my motherboard said the code meant no VGA card? Someone help me please :(

Thanks,

Nick

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

Make sure all the plugs are properly plugged in, power connectors and other cables. Make sure the CPU is properly seated and the CPU cooler has paste thats not years old.

Well it was working properly before and I have never taken it out so the CPU is obviously seated properly, and I just cleaned the CPU and installed a new stock intel fan so that rules out the bad paste. Also all the cables are plugged in fine. 

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

beep codes differ by manufacturer.

http://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=286

this says no VGA card detected

Thats what I thought and was hoping, but why would I need one, if it has onboard graphics? so does this mean I need a graphics card before I know if it all works properly...:(

Just now, nkucz said:

but why would I need one, if it has onboard graphics? so does this mean I need a graphics card before I know if it all works properly...:(

we need to find the manual for your motherboard to be 100% on what the beeps mean. I guess you dont know what your BIOS is?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

we need to find the manual for your motherboard to be 100% on what the beeps mean. I guess you dont know what your BIOS is?

Let me go check upstairs I'm sure I have the manual. I feel like I remember this occurring once I sold my graphics card though. 

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

did you possibly disable the onboard graphics while using the gpu? Sometimes people do that without realizing the consequences, a hard reset may be required

Yes I probably did, that was a fear of mine. Not sure how to go about a hard reset, let me refer to my manual first to make sure that is what it is. 

Well I couldn't find it. But I found this online, however I can't find anything about beep codes. 

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/Z77 Pro3.pdf

4 minutes ago, nkucz said:

Yes I probably did, that was a fear of mine. Not sure how to go about a hard reset, let me refer to my manual first to make sure that is what it is. 

You could clear CMOS and that would un-do that

6 minutes ago, bbpb said:

You could clear CMOS and that would un-do that

Just tried it to no avail, although I could have done it wrong lol. 

Just now, nkucz said:

Just tried it to no avail, although I could have done it wrong lol. 

In most motherboards there is a jumper that you have to switch to the clear position (the other way), you can find the location of the jumper on the motherboard's manual, or just take off the battery for 30 seconds.

1 hour ago, bbpb said:

In most motherboards there is a jumper that you have to switch to the clear position (the other way), you can find the location of the jumper on the motherboard's manual, or just take off the battery for 30 seconds.

Yea I moved the jumper switch into the clear position, but I'm still getting the beep code and no bios display. 

Well guys, I'm not sure what exactly to do, however I do believe that it is a VGA card error and not a CPU failure. I think I'll buy an extremely cheap video card (such as a GeForce GT610) from my local store and see if that fixes the issue at hand, what do you guys think?

Although, for the missing VGA card beep code it says 5 long beeps, and the beeps I'm getting are short. :/

Went out and bought a PNY GT 710 1GB just to see if it would stop the beep code, and display bios. And I'm please to say it worked guys! No more beep code and it's displaying now, so happy :)