AMD Athlons on A budget.

Definitely not.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-AMD-Athlon-X4-880K/3503vsm121029

Not even close.

Firt off, there isn't any i5 6500k. It's either i5 6500 or i5 6600k.

And non of the AMD CPUs can compete with either of those new i5 CPUs.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

but what about price? is rely worth it to spend 200$ just so you can tern up the graphics in you game A bit more?

3 minutes ago, malachileschorn said:

but what about price? is rely worth it to spend 200$ just so you can tern up the graphics in you game A bit more?

would you rather not be able to run the game or be able to run the game

buy an i3 6100 if you want to go cheap 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

17 minutes ago, malachileschorn said:

On A budget is this CPU power = to A core i5 6500K

AMD Athlon X4 880K

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BPEZ5P4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Not even close.  You'd probably be better off getting an i3 6100 over this.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

you can run the game just not at very hi settings and I just don't care about if my game is only running at medium or low as long as it runs

We've already gone over this in a different thread, this is a terrible idea. Stop spamming. 

I'm not spamming I just think you only looking at one side. I think the core i3 and i5 is great but I'd get A AMD if I didn't have the money for that kind of cpu.

11 minutes ago, malachileschorn said:

I didn't have the money for that kind of cpu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2MN-0004-00002 

and your motherboard to go with it : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130940

its 20$ more for the processor, and the motherboard would either be cheaper, or the same price as FM2. you can't seriously be that cheap

7 minutes ago, malachileschorn said:

I'm not spamming I just think you only looking at one side. I think the core i3 and i5 is great but I'd get A AMD if I didn't have the money for that kind of cpu.

That doesn't change the fact that the AMD cpu is no where close to the power of an i5 6500. There's no other side to it. If AMD had anything close to a i5's performance, it would be priced around the same as the i5.

You need to realize it isn't AMD's job to be robin hood. They are cheap because they are way behind in performance, not because they are "good guys".

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

27 minutes ago, malachileschorn said:

you can run the game just not at very hi settings and I just don't care about if my game is only running at medium or low as long as it runs

I had an AMD CPU and it was a pain, constant crashing when using firefox, the thing was so hot. Best choice ever was me going intel. 

47 minutes ago, malachileschorn said:

When it comes to CPUs its more sensitive. A lot of games offer settings to make the graphical load lighter but settings to reduce CPU load isn't nearly as common.

7 hours ago, malachileschorn said:

It will be fine for gaming, anything over a rx 470 or so will get held back by it though, if you plan on getting a rx480/gtx 1060 or better go for the i3.

7 hours ago, Powis21 said:

I had an AMD CPU and it was a pain, constant crashing when using firefox, the thing was so hot. Best choice ever was me going intel. 

Don't be a fanboy.

-firefox and amd cpus run fine, crashing can happen for any reason, doesn't have to be due to an amd cpu you can get it to crash on an intel cpu as well.

- The 880k has the same tdp as a 6600k, or a 6700k, and less tdp then the intel extreme series, all amd cpus don't run hot  if anything they have a lower max core

temp then intel cpus for the fx lineup (70-80C IIRC vs 100C)

7 hours ago, incarnate said:

That doesn't change the fact that the AMD cpu is no where close to the power of an i5 6500. There's no other side to it. If AMD had anything close to a i5's performance, it would be priced around the same as the i5.

They do have competition to the i5s it is called the fx 8xxx series, an 8350 stock will give the same performance as a 6600k, and you can get them and a board for the same price as an i3 now. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 hour ago, SLAYR said:

Don't be a fanboy.

-firefox and amd cpus run fine, crashing can happen for any reason, doesn't have to be due to an amd cpu you can get it to crash on an intel cpu as well.

- The 880k has the same tdp as a 6600k, or a 6700k, and less tdp then the intel extreme series, all amd cpus don't run hot  if anything they have a lower max core

temp then intel cpus for the fx lineup (70-80C IIRC vs 100C)

Snip

Edited by incarnate
I herped so hard I derped

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

1 minute ago, incarnate said:

Fanboy? Projecting much? I said nothing of Firefox. I said nothing about temps or tdp. I said nothing of crashing. 

Learn to read buddy. OP started a second thread asking if the Athlon was comparable to an i5. starting the second thread because people were only "looking at one side" of the issue. That is what I replied to.

Post some benchmarks showing that the Athlon is close to an i5 in performance (to prove my post wrong) or just drop it.

I didn't quote you on being a fanboy.

That was to @Powis21

My response to you was under where I quoted you. This.

1 hour ago, SLAYR said:

They do have competition to the i5s it is called the fx 8xxx series, an 8350 stock will give the same performance as a 6600k, and you can get them and a board for the same price as an i3 now. 

I never said the athlon was anywhere close to the performance of an i5.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

I didn't quote you on being a fanboy.

That was to @Powis21

My response to you was under where I quoted you. This.

I never said the athlon was anywhere close to the performance of an i5.

Wow my bad. Gotta stop making an ass of myself first thing in the morning. -.-

While you're correct that the fx 8s are close to i5s in games that can use all the threads, there's a huge backlog of games, and no guarantee that ever release is going to be heavily multithreaded.  and that is what it takes for it to match an i5.

However that is neither here nor there, the OP was asking about the Athlon.

My rig:

11 hours ago, Megah3rtz said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2MN-0004-00002 

and your motherboard to go with it : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130940

its 20$ more for the processor, and the motherboard would either be cheaper, or the same price as FM2. you can't seriously be that cheap

I'm trying not to go over 200$ for my mother bored and CPU

I know this was many hours ago xD but let me explain further. My amd cpu i had was the x4 860k. It ran hotter than my friends who owned the same, so maybe i should have said 'upgrading' was the best thing that i done as it gave me better performance regardless whether it was intel or Amd as the upgrade i got was with intel i just stated 'intel'. My bad for being so vauge in this area.... 

9 hours ago, SLAYR said:

Don't be a fanboy.

50 minutes ago, Powis21 said:

I know this was many hours ago xD but let me explain further. My amd cpu i had was the x4 860k. It ran hotter than my friends who owned the same, so maybe i should have said 'upgrading' was the best thing that i done as it gave me better performance regardless whether it was intel or Amd as the upgrade i got was with intel i just stated 'intel'. My bad for being so vauge in this area.... 

So your system ran hot, you did poor/no troubleshooting as to why (bad/underpowered cooler, poor airflow, bad thermal paste/application), threw money at the problem, swapped out all the hardware, and attributed the fact that things are now working fine to the change in brand, rather than:

• It now has a new cooler
  • Everything was removed and reinstalled
  • It now has different/reapplied thermal paste
  • It now has a different motherboard
  • It now has a different processor
  • It is now basically a different computer

Any one of the first three things could have solved your temperature problems.

Yup, definitely AMD's fault for not being able to run firefox.

*goes back to playing Forza Horizon 3 on a 3.8GHz 6 core Phenom II at 45°C*

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

6 hours ago, Phate.exe said:

So your system ran hot, you did poor/no troubleshooting as to why (bad/underpowered cooler, poor airflow, bad thermal paste/application), threw money at the problem, swapped out all the hardware, and attributed the fact that things are now working fine to the change in brand, rather than:

• It now has a new cooler
  • Everything was removed and reinstalled
  • It now has different/reapplied thermal paste
  • It now has a different motherboard
  • It now has a different processor
  • It is now basically a different computer

Any one of the first three things could have solved your temperature problems.

Yup, definitely AMD's fault for not being able to run firefox.

*goes back to playing Forza Horizon 3 on a 3.8GHz 6 core Phenom II at 45°C*

I had a hyper 212 evo and re applied thermal paste many times, maybe i should've sent it back really :/ . It idled at 65-70c. Any idea as to why? Also same cooler, same case, same airflow. I'm not saying amd is bad as i corrected my earlier post I'm just curious as to whether or not i just got unlucky. I was and still am using a s340. I done the first three things more than once as well.