asus z170-a

Asus rx480

corsair vengeance 8gb (2x4)

corsair rm 650x

be quiet dark rock 3

wd black 1tb

adata sp550 240gb

h440 black

my pic won't post. The LEDs for the cpu, dram and vga go on then go off but when it gets to the boot drive led it just stays on

i've moved the ram around. I've got it set up on my mb box with only the cpu, cpu cooler, single stick of ram, Paul and ssd and hdd. I've cleared the cmos

Can someone please help me

What BIOS version are you running? Also do you have a different set of RAM to test with?

Usually motherboards are not updated to the latest version so you might want to try flashing your BIOS with BiosFlashback and then see if it POSTs

I assume it still does not POST with just the CPU, RAM and HDD. It might be very unlikely but have you tried unplugging the SSD and HDD ? It is just a guess.

1 minute ago, Palden said:

What BIOS version are you running? Also do you have a different set of RAM to test with?

Usually motherboards are not updated to the latest version so you might want to try flashing your BIOS with BiosFlashback and then see if it POSTs

I can't see how an old version of BIOS would prevent it from POSTing. 

I would just leave the CPU and RAM (try one stick at a time) and if that doesn't POST, I would probably start thinking that its a dead motherboard. 

I can't acces the bios. How am I meant to do a bios flash

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/    <------- Link to the ASUS flashback tool

6 minutes ago, SenioRR said:

I assume it still does not POST with just the CPU, RAM and HDD. It might be very unlikely but have you tried unplugging the SSD and HDD ? It is just a guess.

I can't see how an old version of BIOS would prevent it from POSTing. 

I would just leave the CPU and RAM (try one stick at a time) and if that doesn't POST, I would probably start thinking that its a dead motherboard. 

I had this problem with one of my builds where the BIOS version didn't support the CPU. So I spent about 3 weeks troubleshooting everything else before someone pointed me in this direction.

Edit: I know the link I sent you says X99 MOBO, but according to the ASUS site, you're motherboard also has it as a feature.

Edited by Palden
Update

4 minutes ago, SenioRR said:

I tried that it still didn't work. It gets to the boot drive led and just stays on.

i know that when the led stays on it means there is a problem but I don't know what the problem is

motherboard will support the processor out of the box, try with 1 stick of ram and no drives/ video card plugged in, if it still doesn't post use the other stick of ram

Just now, PcPc said:

That link is only for x99 motherboards. I got a z170

Yeah, but your motherboard also has it according to the ASUS site.

I can't find a way to do a bios flash without having acces to my bios on my mb

Check your MOBO manual, but according to 

8 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

motherboard will support the processor out of the box, try with 1 stick of ram and no drives/ video card plugged in, if it still doesn't post use the other stick of ram

That's probably not the issue and I would suggest trying his fix first before messing with the BIOS. Also just because the lights are coming on on your MOBO doesn't mean the PSU is outputting all of the right power. If all else fails, sit down with a multimeter and your PSU manual and test all of your connections for the right voltage