How much bandwidth for 720p 60fps?

ArmswieldTheHero

Is it possible to stream 720p 60fps video over 1.2 megabytes/second internet with low latency?

and if not, is it possible to stream that over the local network?

And also the title, kind of theoretical network WOULD you need to do that?

My initial guess is no. 8Mbps is recommended for 720p 30FPS video. It'll work fine over the local area network though.

The amount of bandwidth however depends entirely on what codec you're using and the compression quality you're looking at. In other words it's a pretty open ended question.

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

My initial guess is no. 8Mbps is recommended for 720p 30FPS video. It'll work fine over the local area network though.

The amount of bandwidth however depends entirely on what codec you're using and the compression quality you're looking at. In other words it's a pretty open ended question.

Could you give me a few examples of codecs and compression qualities?

Sure you can, but at that low of a bitrate can introduce some artifacting depending on what you're streaming (resolution, frame rate, how much motion, etc.), the codec you're using (h.264 is very common), etc. For instance, if you're streaming something like gameplay or an action movie with a lot of motion, it could look a little blurry/artifacty at times at lower bitrates.

On a local network, you could certainly stream quite a bit higher than this if you wanted to and get a clearer picture, with how much depending on how you're transmitting data to and from the network.

1 minute ago, Kavawuvi said:

Sure you can, but at that low of a bitrate can introduce some artifacting depending on what you're streaming (resolution, frame rate, how much motion, etc.), the codec you're using (h.264 is very common), etc. For instance, if you're streaming something like gameplay or an action movie with a lot of motion, it could look a little blurry/artifacty at times at lower bitrates.

On a local network, you could certainly stream quite a bit higher than this if you wanted to and get a clearer picture, with how much depending on how you're transmitting data to and from the network.

Ahh, yes, quality is secondary here. 60 frames a second and low latency is primary. 

I plan to transmit it wirelessly, over the local network. what kind of quality could I get like that? 

First, clarify if it's 1.2 megabytes per second  or 1.2 megabits per second. 

Network speeds are usually specified in megabits per second ... 8 megabits = 1 megabyte of data in one second

The bitrate required to stream something depends on the actual content of the stream. If it's something like the Wan show, where a big part of the image is static background and you have just Linus and Luke in the chair talking, most of the bitrate would be spent encoding their faces and very little on the rest of the images. So, in theory, for such a stream you'd still get a lot of quality even with low bitrates.

However, if you plan to stream a first person shooter, or some racing game, where there's lots of motion from frame to frame, then you'll need more bitrate.

h.264  is standard and produces good quality for the bitrate.

VP9 is slightly better but requires much more processing power to encode, so if you want to compress in real time 60 fps it may make more sense to stick to h.264

hevc is even better than both, but also uses a lot of processing power to compress so it would be hard to achieve real time 60fps .. also, it's not really compatible with various playback devices out there.

So h.264 is most compatible and most supported by lots of things out there, and my suggestion would be to stick with it.

For 720p 60fps , a good start would be a bitrate of around 3-4 mbps or about 400-500 KB/s

It may make more sense to capture a game at 1080p 60 fps and to do a basic resize to half which results in a 960x540 picture, and for that you could probably do with 2 mbps average bitrate.

In local networks , you can set up a streaming server ( see MistServer , Red5 , other open source streaming servers) and you can configure OBS or Adobe Flash media live encoder to encode and send the stream to your streaming server and from there, people in your network can enter the video url into their movie players and watch the stream (or you can embed the url in a web page)

9 hours ago, mariushm said:

First, clarify if it's 1.2 megabytes per second  or 1.2 megabits per second. 

Network speeds are usually specified in megabits per second ... 8 megabits = 1 megabyte of data in one second

The bitrate required to stream something depends on the actual content of the stream. If it's something like the Wan show, where a big part of the image is static background and you have just Linus and Luke in the chair talking, most of the bitrate would be spent encoding their faces and very little on the rest of the images. So, in theory, for such a stream you'd still get a lot of quality even with low bitrates.

However, if you plan to stream a first person shooter, or some racing game, where there's lots of motion from frame to frame, then you'll need more bitrate.

h.264  is standard and produces good quality for the bitrate.

VP9 is slightly better but requires much more processing power to encode, so if you want to compress in real time 60 fps it may make more sense to stick to h.264

hevc is even better than both, but also uses a lot of processing power to compress so it would be hard to achieve real time 60fps .. also, it's not really compatible with various playback devices out there.

So h.264 is most compatible and most supported by lots of things out there, and my suggestion would be to stick with it.

For 720p 60fps , a good start would be a bitrate of around 3-4 mbps or about 400-500 KB/s

It may make more sense to capture a game at 1080p 60 fps and to do a basic resize to half which results in a 960x540 picture, and for that you could probably do with 2 mbps average bitrate.

In local networks , you can set up a streaming server ( see MistServer , Red5 , other open source streaming servers) and you can configure OBS or Adobe Flash media live encoder to encode and send the stream to your streaming server and from there, people in your network can enter the video url into their movie players and watch the stream (or you can embed the url in a web page)

Thanks bro!

And I thought I was clear in the OP, 1.2 megabytes/second.

megabyte/megabit? 1.2MB/s is almost 10Mb/s, you really need to get the units right.

Lets say for instance it is 1.2Mb/s in the direction you want the media to travel, 720p @24fps (typically what movies use) require 2 or 4Mb/s. at 1.2Mb/s the quality is going to suffer  even at 24fps so to ask for 60fps there just isnt enough bandwidth. You would need at least 4Mb/s but 8Mb/s is recommended.

If you have IPTV and look at the bandwidth it uses when you watch TV, 1080p at 24fps uses between 8-12Mb/s while 720p uses 2-4Mb/s 4K at 24fps needs 20Mb/s at least so when you say 60fps you need almost 3 times the bandwidth as 24 fps.

40 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

megabyte/megabit? 1.2MB/s is almost 10Mb/s, you really need to get the units right.

Lets say for instance it is 1.2Mb/s in the direction you want the media to travel, 720p @24fps (typically what movies use) require 2 or 4Mb/s. at 1.2Mb/s the quality is going to suffer  even at 24fps so to ask for 60fps there just isnt enough bandwidth. You would need at least 4Mb/s but 8Mb/s is recommended.

If you have IPTV and look at the bandwidth it uses when you watch TV, 1080p at 24fps uses between 8-12Mb/s while 720p uses 2-4Mb/s 4K at 24fps needs 20Mb/s at least so when you say 60fps you need almost 3 times the bandwidth as 24 fps.

bRO I SAID IT TWICE ITS 1.2 MEGABYTES

I just tested it on a laptop, 720p 60fps with a low quality codec (so some artifacting and drowned out colors) But it ran really good, it only stuttered every now and then and it was totally playable.

Just now, ArmswieldTheHero said:

bRO I SAID IT TWICE ITS 1.2 MEGABYTES

I just tested it on a laptop, 720p 60fps with a low quality codec (so some artifacting and drowned out colors) But it ran really good, it only stuttered every now and then and it was totally playable.

Than based on my post where i mentioned the bandwidth required, at 1.2MB/s you do have enough for 720p at 60fps at good quality preset.

2 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

Than based on my post where i mentioned the bandwidth required, at 1.2MB/s you do have enough for 720p at 60fps at good quality preset.

yupyup, it worked fine. thanks for stopping by!