thinking I want to put my computer table over a steam radiator?

greaves1111

I, unfortunately, live in a small NYC apartment with limited space. The perfect wall for my computer desk/table has a huge oldschool steam radiator sitting right smack dab in the middle of the wall.

Does anyone know of any tricks/tutorials on how to direct heat from the radiator out into the room instead of up towards the table and all of my equipment?

33 minutes ago, greaves1111 said:

I, unfortunately, live in a small NYC apartment with limited space. The perfect wall for my computer desk/table has a huge oldschool steam radiator sitting right smack dab in the middle of the wall.

Does anyone know of any tricks/tutorials on how to direct heat from the radiator out into the room instead of up towards the table and all of my equipment?

Move the radiator.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

14 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

Move the radiator.

You know radiators are plumbed into piping and affixed to walls, right?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

22 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

Move the radiator.

I guess I could if I used a sledgehammer, but my landlord would flip his shit lol. That's also the best way to lose your deposit

35 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

You know radiators are plumbed into piping and affixed to walls, right?

Yes and you do realise that people regularly move them/have them moved right? It's not impossible or as difficult or expensive as you might imagine.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

2 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

Yes and you do realise that people regularly move them/have them moved right? It's not impossible or as difficult or expensive as you might imagine.

I'm renting. Let's assume this isn't possible

Just now, Nuluvius said:

- Pisses off landlord/landlady, probably breaches any terms of tenancy agreement OP has signed.

- Requires multiple people to lift the thing, especially considering it is, according to OP, "a huge oldschool steam radiator". That thing is AT LEAST a 2-3 man job.

- Requires breaking wall open.

- Requires plumber to lay new piping.

- Risk of leaks.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

8 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

- Pisses off landlord/landlady, probably breaches any terms of tenancy agreement OP has signed.

One would obviously gain connect before proceeding.

- Requires multiple people to lift the thing, especially considering it is, according to OP, "a huge oldschool steam radiator". That thing is AT LEAST a 2-3 man job.

Highly unlikely given the statement:

1 hour ago, greaves1111 said:

I, unfortunately, live in a small NYC apartment with limited space.

And in any event a moot point.

- Requires breaking wall open.

Pipework is not usually routed inside walls.

- Requires plumber to lay new piping.

A triviality for a qualified plumber and quite cheap... It's a large component of what they do for a living.

- Risk of leaks.

That is why plumbers have public liability insurance.

Anything else? It seems as though you have never lived on your own before...

um, this is getting a little off topic. If I tell you you're both right can we stop fighting? This isn't solving my problem.

Nuluvius, the rad is not getting moved. Period.

8 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

Pipework is not usually routed inside walls.

Yes it is. In my apartment the pipes go into the floor, actually.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

10 minutes ago, Urishima said:

Yes it is. In my apartment the pipes go into the floor, actually.

The floor not the wall you just said it... O.o

You should just use a fan to blow the hot air wherever you want it to go. You could also insulate the table a little bit, cardboard taped to the underside would be worth trying.

Just keep the air circulating around the room and you should be good to go. If you don't mind the draft, you could put a box fan in front of the radiator aimed into the room.

On 2016-11-28 at 3:10 PM, greaves1111 said:

Use a fan to blow air away from the radiator to wherever you want. Not sure how effective this will be, but it's worth a try.

You might also want to apply some thermal insulation material under your table. That will prevent your stuff from being cooked by the radiator.

Finally, just make sure you have decent cooling in your rig. Even with the radiator, it shouldn't be anywhere near enough to overheat any component in your build.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

6 hours ago, drqi said:

You should just use a fan to blow the hot air wherever you want it to go. You could also insulate the table a little bit, cardboard taped to the underside would be worth trying.

most radiators have an off valve. Just turn the thing off.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

11 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

most radiators have an off valve. Just turn the thing off.

thanks. I hadn't thought of turning off the radiator.....dot dot dot. More dot dot dot.