AMD Zen SR7 to sell for $499

NumLock21
13 hours ago, RS2007GOD said:

A new CPU thats 2 years behind current gen Intel. Sounds like amd to me. ?

In what way is it 2 years behind Intel?

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

29 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

In what way is it 2 years behind Intel?

Because in reality it just edges out Ivy Bridge.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

5 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Because in reality it just edges out Ivy Bridge.

How so, because NOT A SINGLE benchmark out today compares to Ivy Bridge.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

58 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

How so, because NOT A SINGLE benchmark out today compares to Ivy Bridge.

Dresdenboy's leak of the AOTS benchmark in which the Zen 8-core matching the clock speed of the 5960X and LOSES by 20% disagrees with you.

And before you go there, he's never been wrong in 6 years of being the source of AMD leaks.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

Dresdenboy's leak of the AOTS benchmark in which the Zen 8-core matching the clock speed of the 5960X and LOSES by 20% disagrees with you.

And before you go there, he's never been wrong in 6 years of being the source of AMD leaks.

So a production 5960X versus a prototype Zen part were 20% different and you feel like that is a bad thing?  And not only that the ONLY running score we have seen, PROVES that Zen is at least on par with Broadwell in at least one test.

Personally, I think Zen needs to have the features of Skylake and at least the performance of Haswell... I'm not even asking that much.

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

So a production 5960X versus a prototype Zen part were 20% different and you feel like that is a bad thing?  And not only that the ONLY running score we have seen, PROVES that Zen is at least on par with Broadwell in at least one test.

Personally, I think Zen needs to have the features of Skylake and at least the performance of Haswell... I'm not even asking that much.

A2 is the last level of engineering sample, so no, not a prototype.

No, AMD's Blender benchmark was rigged with custom code. Post-launch 3rd party reviews will confirm this.

The only legitimate Zen benchmark we have puts it solidly behind Haswell at the same clocks and core counts.

wait wait... they are releasing a 150$ cpu thats better than a i5 6600k???

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 hour ago, spwath said:

-snip-

God damn, it's like that fan works fine until you focus on it and then the motor breaks and it jerks around like it's having a seizure.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

i've sen enough from past years not to believe amd hype until real world benchmarks & review show up!

Details separate people.

20 hours ago, zMeul said:
  1. the naming scheme is absolutely retarded
  2. the price, if right, is competitive
  3. the estimated performance - I'd wait for the actual results, not estimates

You're just mad it beats the intel line up :P

/jk

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Just give me a cheap 8c/16t, some good PCIE SSD support, or an 8c/16t APU and your damn high-end Fury cards.  We've had nVidia's 10xx series since May.  It's almost December 1st and AMD has not only not competed in the CPU space for five years, but hasn't competed in the GPU space for practically a year now.  GIVE ME SHIT TO BUY, DAMN.

2 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Just give me a cheap 8c/16t, some good PCIE SSD support, or an 8c/16t APU and your damn high-end Fury cards. We've had Nvidia's 10xx series since May. It's almost December 1st and AMD has not only not competed in the CPU space for five years, but hasn't competed in the GPU space for practically a year now. GIVE ME SHIT TO BUY, DAMN.

Well, they currently have 12-core APU's, so I'm sure they'll make a 16-core APU.

... And I'll hate them for continuing to not know how to count.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

On 11/25/2016 at 11:23 PM, zMeul said:

they are trying to do the exact same thing with Pentium Rating they did decate+ ago with Athlon XP line

and that was utter retardness 

or being and amd hater is utter retardness? im not really, sure help me out understand...

i tought bulldozer/excavator was retarded and havent heard you complain about that, now that they have a decent naming scheme you cry because of a combination of letters and numbers, its not like 6770k makes more sense

On 11/26/2016 at 10:23 AM, zMeul said:

they are trying to do the exact same thing with Pentium Rating they did decate+ ago with Athlon XP line

On 11/26/2016 at 10:28 AM, zMeul said:

no it's not

if you establish your product as a rating to something that already exists, you establish yourself as a 2nd place manufacturer - and that is fucking retarded

I wouldn't call it the same as the old AMD CPU performance rating system at all. That had a direct performance comparison number, AMD Athlon XP 2400+. The 2400+ was a literal claim of performance to a baseline product, one of Intel's.

How is AMD Zen SR7 etc even close to the same? It's just an arbitrary product/model naming scheme, you have to have something. It's no different, just with less numbers, than anything else on the market CPU or GPU wise. Who is even to say that this is actually the product naming scheme for the retail product.

By this measure how is any of Intel's or Nvidia's naming schemes not a rating system then either? AMD Zen SR3 vs Intel i5 6500 or Nvidia GTX 1060 etc. Each one of these has a generation or architecture representation in either number or word format and a representation of how high they are in the product range.

P.S. I suggest you ease up on the word 'retarded', you can express yourself perfectly well using other means. 

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

How is AMD Zen SR7 etc even close to the same? It's just an arbitrary product/model naming scheme, you have to have something

unless you are blind, or something

SR7 - meant to be a equivalent to Intel's i7 line

SR5 - i5

SR3 - i3

arbitrary? coincidence? absolutely not - just a whole lot of stupidity

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

SR5 - i5

SR3 - i3

You're being overly aggressive and grasping at straws.

They 3,5,7 naming scheme could mean anything.......  BMW uses i3 and i8 for their cars. Does that mean that it performs similarly to Intel's core i3 and i7 CPUs respectively? No of course not!

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

30 minutes ago, zMeul said:

SR5 - i5

SR3 - i3

And yet I don't see an actual claim of performance in the name unlike Athlon XP 2400+. Which exact i3 or i5 or i7 are they equivalent to?  I agree the are ripping off the i3, i5, i7 naming but that wasn't your accusation. If it was AMD Zen SR3 3300+ and the 3300+ meant equivalent to 3.3GHz then that would be a different story. How is i3, i5 or i7 not a rating system and why is it acceptable for Intel to do it and not AMD?

Also AMD has used similar naming already, R5, R7 and R9, on the GPU side of the business. Before you say it yes even here I think they were ripping off Intel's naming.

Doing what they have done is actually a smart move marketing wise. While the tech enthusiast may not like it it is clear and easy for the general consumer to look at products from both brands and compare them, along with price. The danger comes only if an SR3 is vastly different in performance to an i3, and that danger is there for both the consumer and AMD.

This is business, you do what you have to do to sell product and compete in your market. You don't get the same luxuries afford to you when your not the market leader and you don't get to set trends, this happens in many areas not just in computer tech industry.

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I agree the are ripping off the i3, i5, i7 naming but that wasn't your accusation.

that was exactly my accusation

I suggest you go back and read my posts; I only gave the PR rating as an example when AMD did a similarly retarded move - they rated their products against Intel's and they're doing it again

Just now, zMeul said:

that was exactly my accusation

I suggest you go back and read my posts; I only gave the PR rating as an example when AMD did a similarly retarded move

On 11/26/2016 at 10:23 AM, zMeul said:

Next time be careful with the use of 'exact' if that is not what you mean, exact has a well understood meaning and so does similar.

And for histories sake what was confusing about the old AMD CPU naming scheme was the literal performance claim in the product name which was never readjusted as Intel's architecture improved and subsequently passed AMD's leading to utter mess and confusion. Having a similar product naming scheme is a very far cry from having a literal performance comparison claim.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Next time be careful with the use of 'exact' if that is not what you mean, exact has a well understood meaning and so does similar.

you are taking my posts out of context, I was referring to the PR rating as a previous example where AMD named their CPUs against Intel's and not using a unique naming scheme like they used with Radeons R4, R7 and R9

8 hours ago, zMeul said:

SR5 - i5

SR3 - i3

The sr3 and the i3 are vastly different so I don't think they are trying to name their cpus to match up that way. I mean the sr3 is closers to an i7 than an i3 at least in the amount of cores and threads it has. it's a naming scheme and I would say it would be bad if people thought of comparing the sr3 sr5 and sr7 to the respective Intel chips because they are vastly different cpus.

Here's me waiting for Cannonlake. :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

On 11/25/2016 at 10:07 PM, Energycore said:

Well WCCF did say RX 480 would hit 390X to Fury levels of performance, and then it didn't and people were disappointed :v

Yeah, but i was referring to core count, but even when WCCFtech is right, they still are a little wrong.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Well i hope AMD can shift me from my X58 setup as intel can't.

Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock . XEON X5650 4.49ghz

On 11/26/2016 at 4:10 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

i somewhat agree with that but its possiable that they will undersell the 6900k massivly, it would be a pretty stupid move to do it by $500 tho lol

No it would Undercut Intel So some X99 guyz might also switch