AMD Zen SR7 to sell for $499

NumLock21
1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

6900k is 8 cores 16 threads MSRP of $1000 USD, which is why I doubt this rummor: This Zen is still too good to be true.

i somewhat agree with that but its possiable that they will undersell the 6900k massivly, it would be a pretty stupid move to do it by $500 tho lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Is this even believable or should we just stomp this theory all together and presume its nothing but an attempt at gaining attention over a properly placed

"extreme" edition AMD cpu :/?

Groomlake Authority

46 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

The FX series had a definitely better naming scheme. While 2, 5, and 7 don't really have any meaning, other than "higher must be better", the FXs were at least meaningful in the first 2 figures. Only the two last numbers could need some simplification. 

^ Cores

^ Generation

^ Power level

46 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

SRx is the codename. Of course it's not going to actually be called that.

45 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Yeah like the 8(1)50 or 8(3)50 (Being the generation, assuming so)

It makes logical sense to have the SRx part of the name just be the lineup and tier of power, with an FX number to follow.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i somewhat agree with that but its possiable that they will undersell the 6900k massivly, it would be a pretty stupid move to do it by $500 tho lol

Yeah if they know this is 10 to 15% slower but pricing it at 20 to 30% discount would still be a great deal and it would still be 700 to 800 bucks, like 50% more cash than this 499 crap.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Yeah if they know this is 10 to 15% slower but pricing it at 20 to 30% discount would still be a great deal and it would still be 700 to 800 bucks, like 50% more cash than this 499 crap.

yah thats how they should do it IMO, im going to save up to get a Zen hexa core if they are any good probably because i 1: want to support AMD so they dont die 2: want more threads because im starting to find streaming quite fun(Internet is still shit tho and i cant do anything about that :/ )

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

6900k is 8 cores 16 threads MSRP of $1000 USD, which is why I doubt this rummor: This Zen is still too good to be true.

Or intel has been fleecing even more then you thought.  They could price according to their costs and margins as their measuring stick rather than peg against intels MSRP.

1 hour ago, Ashiella said:

-snip-

Something else to get irritated by:

i7-3770K: 3rd gen

i7-4790K: 4th gen

i7-5775C: 5th gen

i7-6700K: 6th gen

While...

i7-3960X: 2nd gen

i7-4960X: 3rd gen

i7-5960X: 4th gen

i7-6950X: 5th gen

21 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

^ Cores

^ Generation

^ Power Level

FX-9590

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Just now, Dash Lambda said:

Something else to get irritated by:

i7-3770K: 3rd gen

i7-4790K: 4th gen

i7-5775C: 5th gen

i7-6700K: 6th gen

While...

i7-3960X: 2nd gen

i7-4960X: 3rd gen

i7-5960X: 4th gen

i7-6950X: 5th gen

FX-9590

^ AMD saying fuck you

^ Generation

^ Power level

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

6 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

^ AMD saying fuck you

^ Generation

^ Power level

No.

^ AMD saying fuck you

^ (GTX) Power requirments

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

Time for EXTREME SPECULATION

AMD SR7 ($499) -  8 cores, 16 threads - 3.2 Ghz Normal - 3.5 Ghz Boost - Better IPC (~3.4% better)

Intel i7-6800k ($449) - 6 cores, 12 threads - 3.4 Ghz Normal - 3.6 Ghz Boost - Worse IPC (~3.4% worse)

The IPC figures come from AMD's blender video versus an i7-6900k, which has the same basic die as the i7-6800k, and therefore should have the same IPC per core. If you wanna see my method and math check the spoiler at bottom of the post. 

I will use a made up unit, the "performance unit", to compare these 2 specific chips in relative terms. To calculate the relative performance of a chip, you start at one, add half the percent difference of IPC (because you compare 2 chips), multiply by the boost clock, and multiply by the number of threads. This doesn't have any correlation to performance numerically, but it does show the performance relatively between the SR7 and i7-6800k.

SR7:

1 + 0.017 = 1.017 * 3.5 = 3.5595 * 16 = 56.952 performance units

i7-6800k:

1 + (-0.017) = 0.983 * 3.6 = 3.5388 * 12 = 42.4656 performance units

The SR7 is supposedly 34.11% faster than the i7-6800k, but the SR7 is supposedly $50 more expensive.

To compare value, you find the performance units per cost.

SR7:

56.952 / $499 = 0.11413226 performance units per dollar

i7-6800k:

42.4656 / $449 = 0.09457817 performance units per dollar

If you divide each result by the lowest result, you can figure out the adjusted value:

SR7:

0.11413226 / 0.09457817 = 1.20675 adjusted value

i7-6800k:

0.09457817 / 0.09457817 = 1.00000 adjusted value 

For every dollar spent, the SR7 supposedly provides a 20.0675% better value.

For reference, when you do this with the FX-9590 and 4790k, the 4790k is 17.3% faster but 318.4% better value at launch price, $920 and $339 respectively.

Of course, this is a WCCFtech article. WCCFTech has been both right (480) and wrong (390x) about specs in the past. For those who don't remember, WCCF became infamous for jumping to conclusions about the R9 390X, which they had assumed would be running the Fiji XT chip that was actually meant for the Fury X. As a result, the R9 300 series refreshes disappointed many after WCCF published articles that implied the 300 series would be 45% faster than the preceding 200 series, when in reality most cards did not see more than a 5% improvement (9 times slower). Recently their leaks have been somewhat more accurate, but I would account that to chance rather than any increase in WCCF's credibility. 

Stay skeptical, but these numbers imply that Zen will be very good. 

Spoiler

I calculated the IPC difference by taking the Youtube Zen demo video (link at bottom of spoiler) and measuring the time it takes the Zen and Broadwell-E finish. The actual finish is very close, but because the speed is relative, I took my measurements while playing the video at 1/4 speed to give myself a better reaction time.

Zen chip: 75.32 seconds 

Intel chip: 77.89 seconds

77.89 divided by 75.32 equals 1.03412:1 ratio, which means the zen is 3.4% faster.

AMD Zen (SR7) vs Intel i7-6900k

Edit: I started typing this 2 minutes after the thread got posted and now its on page 3...

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

Even though that never happened with Athlon 64 or the cheap productivity movement of the FX 8 series...

That was long time ago and the market changed since then but I understand what you mean, Intel still got a lot bigger fan base and satisfied customers in general that are willing to pay premium for the same performance just because Intel.

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

That was long time ago and the market changed since then but I understand what you mean, Intel still got a lot bigger fan base and satisfied customers in general that are willing to pay premium for the same performance just because Intel.

Better reliability with Intel too. It's not half as much about fanboying as you may think.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

3 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Better reliability with Intel too. It's not half as much about fanboying as you may think.

Anyone who likes Intel is a bit wrong in the head.

It's hard to be fanboys when a companies knows, and is taking full advantage of the fact, that it's basically the only option.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

I feel like they should name their SKUs or at least start with A, A3, A5, A7 xxxx.

But as you know people don't take the time to read, do some research and buy out of impulse and wonder why they didn't get what they wanted/paid for.

Yes apple named their SoCs A7, A8, etc. so that could be a confusing event.

Also I used to have a flyer for bestbuy that was 3 years old, I was wondering what AMD vision was. There was some confusing names for their laptops like E-350, 450 etc.

2 hours ago, Cosmopath said:

Why do people still take WCCFTech's word for things? They're such an awful publication. 

salt.gif

for every WCCFTech publication please add a can of salt 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

58 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

^ Power level

giphy.gif

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

We will see as soon as they are released.

Rumors like this dont really mean much to me.

Numbers look promissing, but cannot relaid on any true source.

allthough the numbers look to be fairly in line with that JIm Keller said last year.

Rumor or not, it would be a bit it if they undercut much and performance is there though. But we'll see. Hopefully they'll really great chips.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Cool, can't wait for temps

29 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Cool, can't wait for temps

Temperature was never problem with AMD CPUs but the heat output was.

2 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

Or intel has been fleecing even more then you thought.

I don't see how they're pretty fucking merciless. No vaseline or nothing.

But point taken though: we're not sure how many intel would move with reasonable prices so they could come out swinging hard enough to get a T.K.O.

-------

Current Rig

-------

AMD copying Dodge's Challenger SR7 much?
AMD is going to release a "challenger" against intel

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

4 hours ago, zMeul said:
  1. the naming scheme is absolutely retarded
  2. the price, if right, is competitive

Only if the quad core SR3 beats quad core i5s....

Otherwise the pricing is stupid.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),