Time for me to say goodbye

Dear all,

It is with great regret that I must inform you I am moving away from this position in Western Digital and Captain_WD will no longer be representing the brand nor it will be associated with WD.

It's been quite the ride for over two years and it was a great honor and pleasure to share and gain knowledge in the Linus Tech Tips community. You guys form an amazing community which has made my job fun, enjoyable and has enabled me to take pleasure in doing it each and every day that I have been here. I have also learned a lot of new things here from you guys so a huge Thank you for that.

I will truly miss being a part of this community, help people and interacting with each and every one of you. 

My role will be taken by @Boogieman_WD who I'm sure will do an excellent job helping people and offering solutions to whoever needs them. He has quite the experience throughout other communities so I'm sure he will be an excellent consultant. Please, treat him well and refer all WD and Storage related questions and troubles to him. 

If you have any questions or comments for me or for my colleague, please feel free to share them here.

Cheers! 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Bye :) thanks for everything!

You're awesome.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Am I missing something? Why do you have to leave the forum just because you're no longer representing the company? You can always make a new account :D 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

I loved that cat profile pic, shame to see you go. Thanks for all the help you provided here, you will be missed (Alot). If you wish though, you can just create a normal account (Not trying to pressure you or anything). Ah well, good luck with whatever you move on to doing there. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

you can always make a new account.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Thanks guys! I'm sure @Boogieman_WD will take a good care of you! 

I could create another account but I won't be associating it with this one in any way. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

no one cares you still know a lot about hard drives

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Hi guys,

I know that @Captain_WD will be missed here just as much as we'll miss him at WD. I'll definitely have big shoes to fill, but I'll try to do my best to help out with whatever I can. So don't spare me :)

I hope we'll be able to build the same kind of relationship and have some fun from time to time as well, among the more serious topics.

Cheers!
Boogieman_WD

WD Representative

http://www.wdc.com

2 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

Thanks guys! I'm sure @Boogieman_WD will take a good care of you! 

I could create another account but I won't be associating it with this one in any way. 

Thats fine, obviously WD wont be in the name or anything (Can you still make it known its still you?). I wont pressure you too much, goodbye for now. You're more than welcome to come back anytime if you wish, just know your help has been appreciated here. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Thankyou @Captain_WD, thankyou for helping me with non-WD related storage queries, I really appreciate it.

Create another account, I am sure you have opinions and knowledge about storage which you could not have said when you were representing WD, and we like having you here.

Farewell, Captain!

Have fun!

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Sorry to see you go. :( You've been such a good help and so friendly as well. It's sad to see you go. I appreciate you leaving us with another WD member to keep things moving. 

Best of luck! 

Wow Cap you've been here since I can remember and we've had many long conversations from anything storage related to even topics outside of simply Western Digital and you still kept a friendly attitude. I understand you'll be leaving your post at WD but hope you consider staying on at the LTT forums casually giving your amazing advice as a user like the rest of us.

You're a really cool guy and best of luck to @Boogieman_WD. You have some enormous shoes to fill.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Well then, it has been fun. Farewell, captain!

crying-man.gif

And welcome Boogieman!

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Thank you guys for the great words. This serves once again as proof of how truly amazing this community is. It was an honor and a pleasure chatting and helping here. 

On 2016-11-24 at 2:46 AM, Spork829 said:

Am I missing something? Why do you have to leave the forum just because you're no longer representing the company? You can always make a new account :D 

Well the idea is that if he creates a new account, we won't know it's "Captain_WD" - which is a good thing. His "Captain_WD" account was strictly related to his role at WDC. As his role has now changed, any account he has on the forum should be personal only, and not affiliated with WDC.

@Captain_WD I would suggest PM'ing one of the Mods if you intend on creating a personal account, just so they know it's you, they can close down your "WD" account, and there won't be any issues with breaking the rule on alt accounts.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Well the idea is that if he creates a new account, we won't know it's "Captain_WD" - which is a good thing. His "Captain_WD" account was strictly related to his role at WDC. As his role has now changed, any account he has on the forum should be personal only, and not affiliated with WDC.

@Captain_WD I would suggest PM'ing one of the Mods if you intend on creating a personal account, just so they know it's you, they can close down your "WD" account, and there won't be any issues with breaking the rule on alt accounts.

I think he could still inform people on his new account that he is the same person as the one behind Captain_WD, and that wouldn't cause it to be affiliated with the company. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

9 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

I think he could still inform people on his new account that he is the same person as the one behind Captain_WD, and that wouldn't cause it to be affiliated with the company. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

You might think so, but no, that would be a bad idea. It would still introduce bias. People would think "Oh he works (or used to) for WDC! He must know what's going on!" even if he posts a strictly opinion based post.

Also there's the fact that if he says something positive about Seagate (or negative about WDC) in his new account, it could reflect badly on him if this new account is known as being tied to the old one.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 11/24/2016 at 2:40 AM, Captain_WD said:

Dear all,

It is with great regret that I must inform you I am moving away from this position in Western Digital and Captain_WD will no longer be representing the brand nor it will be associated with WD.

It's been quite the ride for over two years and it was a great honor and pleasure to share and gain knowledge in the Linus Tech Tips community. You guys form an amazing community which has made my job fun, enjoyable and has enabled me to take pleasure in doing it each and every day that I have been here. I have also learned a lot of new things here from you guys so a huge Thank you for that.

I will truly miss being a part of this community, help people and interacting with each and every one of you. 

My role will be taken by @Boogieman_WD who I'm sure will do an excellent job helping people and offering solutions to whoever needs them. He has quite the experience throughout other communities so I'm sure he will be an excellent consultant. Please, treat him well and refer all WD and Storage related questions and troubles to him. 

If you have any questions or comments for me or for my colleague, please feel free to share them here.

Cheers! 

Captain_WD.

:( Cya Captain! It's been fun.