MSI gtx 1060 vs rx 480

Crypt1c

So with my remaining budget I can go with either of these gaming x cards from msi(they're the 6/8gb versions to be clear). But if I go fot the 1060 I would need to downgrade my i5 6500 to an i5 6400. Which is the better choice in this case?

2 minutes ago, Crypt1c said:

So with my remaining budget I can go with either of these gaming x cards from msi(they're the 6/8gb versions to be clear). But if I go fot the 1060 I would need to downgrade my i5 6500 to an i5 6400. Which is the better choice in this case?

In DX12/Vulkan the 480 does better than the 1060 does in dx11  performance vs the 480. The better processor is going to make more of a difference than the GPUs.

I thought the 1060 was cheaper... but I agree with @MaxBunny 

480 is more future proof but right now 1060 is in the lead

6 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I thought the 1060 was cheaper...

Not in my country apparently.

16 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

In DX12/Vulkan the 480 does better than the 1060 does in dx11  performance vs the 480. The better processor is going to make more of a difference than the GPUs.

In DX12 the 480 gets 0 improvement and the 1060 gets negative improvement.

So either way you should be using DX11 until games are properly made in DX12 and actually have some benefit.

In almost every game currently the 1060 performs better when not using crappy DX12.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I've also found the inno3d 1060 ichill x3 for around the same price as the msi 480. From the specs and one review that I found, it performs pretty similar to the msi 1060. Anyone have this card? And what do you guys think with this card in the picture? My problem with it is that there're not that many reviews of the card.

4 minutes ago, Crypt1c said:

I've also found the inno3d 1060 ichill x3 for around the same price as the msi 480. My problem with it is that there're not that many reviews of the card.

I've heard of them. Usually there are smaller Asian brands competing against bigger ones like MSI there. Inno is from Hong Kong, so yeah they're probably fine. I wouldn't be worried if I bought them. I'm still a fan of HIS. :P

Whichever one suits your needs.