64GB vs 32GB DDR4

JohnFPS

Ok so I am planing to build a PC for streaming and gaming not to list all specs but i7 6800k gtx 1080 and the other parts are high end. Any way I am trying to decide if I need 64gbs or 32gbs of ram for My setup I want to be able to play pc games and stream at the same time. Do I need 64gb or is 32gb enough? Thanks for help   

2x16 so with an upgrade to another 2x16 if you want

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

2x16 so with an upgrade to another 2x16 if you want

I would go with 4x8 so he has quad channel. He could then add another 4x8 for 64GB. By the time he actually needs 128GB we'll probably be on DDR7.

I mean 16GB would be plenty for what your doing. 32GB would be way overkill, 64GB is a complete waste of money.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

If you have 8 slots then I'd get 4x8Gb sticks now and then get another 4 if you find yourself needing more ram. If you only have 4 slots than what @deXxterlab97 said. But then again I've never even filled 16Gb gaming + Photoshop and Lightroom open + a bunch of chrome tabs, I can see 32gb being needed for streaming though. But 64Gb would be great if you were planing on doing editing as well.

CPU: I7 5820K@4.0Ghz | Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 | Ram: 4 x 4Gb G.Skill Tridentz@3200Mhz | GPU: XFX 390x | Cooling: Corsair H115i | PSU: Corsair RMX 850x | Storage: Samsung 250Gb 850 EVO + 2tb Seagate HDD | Case: Inwin 805 | Keyboard: Tesoro Gram Spectrum | Mouse: Tesoro Gram H3L | Mousepad: Corsair MM800 RGB  | OS: Windows 10

5 minutes ago, Hal_9000 said:

If you have 8 slots then I'd get 4x8Gb sticks now and then get another 4 if you find yourself needing more ram. If you only have 4 slots than what @deXxterlab97 said. But then again I've never even filled 16Gb gaming + Photoshop and Lightroom open + a bunch of chrome tabs, I can see 32gb being needed for streaming though. But 64Gb would be great if you were planing on doing editing as well.

He has a 6800K so he has 8 slots.

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

uuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no. Plenty of X99 MoBos only have 4 slots, the CPU doesn't determine the number of physical slots.

The original ones with Haswell-E had 4 slots, but most of those aren't even on the market anymore. He said high-end, and even a reasonable X99 mobo would come with 8 slots.

37 minutes ago, JohnFPS said:

Ok so I am planing to build a PC for streaming and gaming not to list all specs but i7 6800k gtx 1080 and the other parts are high end. Any way I am trying to decide if I need 64gbs or 32gbs of ram for My setup I want to be able to play pc games and stream at the same time. Do I need 64gb or is 32gb enough? Thanks for help   

I recommend fitting 16GB with half of the slots now so that if you NEED 32GB you'll have the space.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just get 16 if you want to stream and future proof. I have a 5820k paired with 8gb of ddr4 and my ram doesn't bottleneck my stream at all. Only my cpu does while playing bf1 pretty much.

41 minutes ago, JohnFPS said:

X99 and 32/64 GB of RAM is pretty overkill for gaming/streaming.... i7 6700k/7700k (when it comes out in a few months here) +16GB is going to be the way to go for your needs. That being said, if you don't care, and just want more as well as have the extra money to spend, then going 6800k+32GB is PLENTY enough. like a lot of other people in this thread are saying, get a 4x8 kit now, and if you find by some fluke that you need more, then just buy another identical 4x8 kit in the future to get you to 64GB, as you're unlikely to ever need more than that for the lifespan of your components and your workload.

Running a 5820K (64GB Max) with 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 (full sys specs in sig), grab a 32GB (2x16GB) kit and start with that for your 6800K (128GB Max), so it's easy enough to drop in another 2x16GB kit to bump it to 64GB and still have space for upgrading past that without worrying about having to toss out/sell/re-purpose RAM sticks if you need to go beyond 64GB at any point in the future.

Better to have the ability to upgrade and not need it, than need to upgrade and not have the ability to do so. Having learnt that the hard way some time back.