Help upgrading home network (router/modem)

TopWargamer

I'm looking into upgrading my router/modem because our WiFi signal sucks and it's better to go after market anyways. I'm currently with Bright House, and Bright House doesn't use a separate modem and router; they use those "all-in-one router/modems." Would I have to use a router/modem or would I be able to use a modem and router separately? I've also never done this before, so would it be as simple plug the modem into the router and then run the first time setup on the router?

COMIC SANS

1 minute ago, TopWargamer said:

I'm looking into upgrading my router/modem because our WiFi signal sucks and it's better to go after market anyways. I'm currently with Bright House, and Bright House doesn't use a separate modem and router; they use those "all-in-one router/modems." Would I have to use a router/modem or would I be able to use a modem and router separately? I've also never done this before, so would it be as simple plug the modem into the router and then run the first time setup on the router?

My ISP, Telus, does the same thing. I've just bought another router, from D-Link, and it works by connecting through Ethernet from their modem. 

2 minutes ago, Jed M said:

My ISP, Telus, does the same thing. I've just bought another router, from D-Link, and it works by connecting through Ethernet from their modem. 

I guess I could do that, but I wanted to get rid of my ISPs router completely.

COMIC SANS

4 minutes ago, TopWargamer said:

I guess I could do that, but I wanted to get rid of my ISPs router completely.

Do you have dsl, cable, fiber?

Normally you can buy your own modem

For wifi, id go with ubiquify ap's.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you have dsl, cable, fiber?

Normally you can buy your own modem

For wifi, id go with ubiquify ap's.

Well, Bright House uses fiber lines, but we do have a cable box (cause my dad still watches TV), if that's what you mean.

COMIC SANS

Just now, TopWargamer said:

Well, Bright House uses fiber lines, but we do have a cable box (cause my dad still watches TV), if that's what you mean.

Normally if you have fiber, you have to use their modem.

You can only plug your own router into their box, and give it all the ports and disable wifi on theirs.