How to improve visuals of PlayStation Remote play on PC

LaboonTheWhale

So I decided to try out the remote play for the PS4 on PC. It boots and connects but the image is blurry. I have a powerline adapter going to my PC that is about 80Mb/s down and 25 up. the PS4 on the other hand was running wireless and that was getting about 10 down. 

I knew that the PS4 has a weak wireless adapter so I switch and plugged the ethernet into the PS4 and went wireless with the PC. I am getting about 20Mb/s down and the quality is still very blurry and comparing it to the TV quality in my room it looks a lot worse. 

Do I just need to have both devices on great internet speeds to improve this? 

8 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

So I decided to try out the remote play for the PS4 on PC. It boots and connects but the image is blurry. I have a powerline adapter going to my PC that is about 80Mb/s down and 25 up. the PS4 on the other hand was running wireless and that was getting about 10 down. 

I knew that the PS4 has a weak wireless adapter so I switch and plugged the ethernet into the PS4 and went wireless with the PC. I am getting about 20Mb/s down and the quality is still very blurry and comparing it to the TV quality in my room it looks a lot worse. 

I've never used PS4 streaming but I would imagine that hardline ethernet connections on both would be almost required for a fast, solid connection.

Desktop: i5-6600k w/ be quiet! Pure Rock cooler. | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 mobo | Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-3000 | 240GB Sandisk SSD | Corsair 500r Case (White) | HTC Vive!! | Shitty Insignia monitor

Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Sennheiser 558

Phone: Nexus 5x
Tablet: Amazon Fire tablet (2015)

10 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Bingo. The video quality is 100% based on the bandwidth between the 2 devices.

If both are on your home network and wired, the picture should be pretty good. But the second your computer is on a different network that the ps4, OR one of them is running on (questionable) wifi, you're gonna have a bad day.

When in doubt, re-format.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Internet speed should have nothing to do with it though.

Wouldnt i though? Its like streaming, if you have poor internet connection and try to stream 1080p, its going to lag up or you need to bump down in quality. 

Wouldnt this apply to to the PS4 remote play? 

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Internet speed should have nothing to do with it though.

Internet speed is literally the only factor here.

there is a way to change the quality of the stream, but there's not much else you can do. it's not a big deal if you try playing on your smartphone or tablet as the blurriness is kinda resolved 

7 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Wouldnt i though? Its like streaming, if you have poor internet connection and try to stream 1080p, its going to lag up or you need to bump down in quality. 

3 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Absolutely not, not locally anyway - local streaming (which is what PS4 Remote play uses) has NOTHING to do with your internet connection.

If OP was talking about PS Now, then yes, internet speed plays a huge factor since you're streaming games from Sony over the internet.

Local streaming is entirely based on the connection and hardware sitting between your PC and your PS4, and your PC's ability to decode the video stream.

That said, things like a poor quality router/modem or a potato PC will affect streaming, but even on the Atom-based Kangaroo MiniPC it works fine.

If your PS4 is connected via WiFi though, you're going to have streaming anomalies - sometimes it'll be fine, others it will look like crap.

Powerline AV may also affect the stability of the stream, since it fluctuates depending on your household wiring.

If you can, try hardwiring your PS4 and PC directly to your router and seeing what results you get.

If it's still crappy, something else is to blame. Otherwise, you'll know what the issue is right away.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

INTRAnet not internet. The local network speeds matter, not internet speeds.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

5 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Absolutely not, not locally anyway - local streaming (which is what PS4 Remote play uses) has NOTHING to do with your internet connection.

If OP was talking about PS Now, then yes, internet speed plays a huge factor since you're streaming games from Sony over the internet.

Local streaming is entirely based on the connection and hardware sitting between your PC and your PS4, and your PC's ability to decode the video stream.

That said, things like a poor quality router/modem or a potato PC will affect streaming, but even on the Atom-based Kangaroo MiniPC it works fine.

If your PS4 is connected via WiFi though, you're going to have streaming anomalies - sometimes it'll be fine, others it will look like crap.

Powerline AV may also affect the stability of the stream, since it fluctuates depending on your household wiring.

If you can, try hardwiring your PS4 and PC directly to your router and seeing what results you get.

If it's still crappy, something else is to blame. Otherwise, you'll know what the issue is right away.

TIL. Ill try to get another powerline adapter (as i cannot go directly into my router due to different floors) and see how that goes. 

2 minutes ago, kirashi said:
1 minute ago, pyrojoe34 said:

INTRAnet not internet. The local network speeds matter, not internet speeds.

2 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Remote play lets you play away from your home network as well, so internet speed is absolutely an issue. Especially the upload speed which so many ISP's limit oh so much.

If you look back to my first post, I think you'll agree that I understand what you're saying.

Remote play lets you play away from your home network as well, so internet speed is absolutely an issue. Especially the upload speed which so many ISP's limit oh so much.

If you look back to my first post, I think you'll agree that I understand what you're saying.

The way OP is describing their setup implies they're doing this over the local network, not over the internet.

However I wouldn't put it past Sony to do the same thing Team Viewer does and uses the internet anyway.

7 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

It does? How do you get remote play to work outside your physical network without the use of a VPN?

Using remote play outside your LAN doesn't appear to be possible, or at least isn't advertised by Sony ... for some reason...

TODAY I LEARNED: Apparently, you can use Remote Play outside your LAN... Good job on advertising this feature, Sony! NOT

UPDATE 2: Apparently, this feature only works for remote play using the PS Vita.

Unless someone knows how to do it over PC, and would be kind enough to share this information...

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

7 hours ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Did you set the remote play quality settings to the highest available?  I think that would be 720p and whatever the best framerate option is.

1080p remote play seems to have been added to the remote play program but only for the PS4 Pro.

Also, while I realize this may reduce the convenience I have noticed that at least for me anyway it stopped working over wifi so I have to have my desktop plugged into Ethernet for remote play to work.  Otherwise it keeps disconnecting.

So having both your ps4 and computer connected to Ethernet might help it work better. 

• 3 years later...
On 11/9/2016 at 5:13 AM, pwn_intended said:

Bingo. The video quality is 100% based on the bandwidth between the 2 devices.

If both are on your home network and wired, the picture should be pretty good. But the second your computer is on a different network that the ps4, OR one of them is running on (questionable) wifi, you're gonna have a bad day.

Old thread sorry, but I have a great router and have connected the PS4 and my PC with ethernet cables, it still looks 720pish if not worse than it did over wifi tbh

In my experience Remote Play is suuuuper sensitive to having a solid network connection. I've played around with it a little - with both devices wired in, everything works pretty well, and I can bump the connection to the 720p version, but when I tried having the PS4 wireless, it went to hot garbage. When I went to the PC wireless, it was.. okay, but it seems at random moments (maybe the neighbours microwaving some popcorn) it would get real bad. I actually had better luck with the iPad, maybe it's on a better 5ghz connection.

Also, if you don't disable HDR, it looks terrible on remote play.

On 11/9/2016 at 12:09 AM, kirashi said:

UPDATE 2: Apparently, this feature only works for remote play using the PS Vita.

Unless someone knows how to do it over PC, and would be kind enough to share this information...

It works just fine over the Internet on PC as well. Just use the same PS4 Remote Play - app. I would know, I have used it myself.

EDIT: Whoa, whoops. Apparently someone necroed an old thread and I just simply replied there without looking at the dates.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.