Bent pins or PSU ?

Ok ... so the story is this - I have a msi b150pc mate that had a few pins bent in the cpu socket. I straightened them out and put in the cpu and it won't start. The cpu error led is on, no display, no power to keyboard/mouse, nothing. It just turns on, but nothing happens. 

Now the first thing you'll think about is that the cpu socket is busted, the pins don't make contact or whatever. Which makes perfect sense considering they were bent. However ... I've fixed bent pins before on quite a few occasions, almost always with success. These pins seem to be straight to me. When I first put in the cpu after straightening them out I was actually so confident it would work, it was somewhat shocking when it didn't. Unless you're looking at it from a certain angle you can't even tell they were ever bent.  

So for a second there let's just assume that it's not the cpu socket - my questions is : is there any chance the cpu won't start because I'm using a 4pin atx on a 8pin atx motherboard ? ( my psu only has 4pins, my mobo has 8 pins for the cpu ) ? I can't test it right now so I'm wondering if anyone's ever had an issue like this.

I've read in some places that it shouldn't be a problem, but i've also read in other places that some mobo's won't work with just 4pins, they require the full 8 to start up the cpu properly, even if the cpu doesn't need that much power. Any experience with this ?  

Just now, jumpinghermit said:

Ok ... so the story is this - I have a msi b150pc mate that had a few pins bent in the cpu socket. I straightened them out and put in the cpu and it won't start. The cpu error led is on, no display, no power to keyboard/mouse, nothing. It just turns on, but nothing happens. 

Now the first thing you'll think about is that the cpu socket is busted, the pins don't make contact or whatever. Which makes perfect sense considering they were bent. However ... I've fixed bent pins before on quite a few occasions, almost always with success. These pins seem to be straight to me. When I first put in the cpu after straightening them out I was actually so confident it would work, it was somewhat shocking when it didn't. Unless you're looking at it from a certain angle you can't even tell they were ever bent.  

So for a second there let's just assume that it's not the cpu socket - my questions is : is there any chance the cpu won't start because I'm using a 4pin atx on a 8pin atx motherboard ? ( my psu only has 4pins, my mobo has 8 pins for the cpu ) ? I can't test it right now so I'm wondering if anyone's ever had an issue like this.

I've read in some places that it shouldn't be a problem, but i've also read in other places that some mobo's won't work with just 4pins, they require the full 8 to start up the cpu properly, even if the cpu doesn't need that much power. Any experience with this ?  

What CPU?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

What CPU?

it's a basic g4500 so power shouldn't technically be an issue. it's not power hungry - then again the entire skylake line is easy on the power. 

Just now, jumpinghermit said:

it's a basic g4500 so power shouldn't technically be an issue. it's not power hungry - then again the entire skylake line is easy on the power. 

My thoughts exactly. Does the PSU turn on? (Paper clip test?) What PSU?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

My thoughts exactly. Does the PSU turn on? (Paper clip test?) What PSU?

it's a no-name, cheapo psu, and yes it turns on. i actually keep it on an old pc that works just fine. the cpu vents start, the hdds start spinning and all that. 

2 minutes ago, jumpinghermit said:

it's a no-name, cheapo psu, and yes it turns on. i actually keep it on an old pc that works just fine. the cpu vents start, the hdds start spinning and all that. 

Did you try to boot with the bent pins?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

I bought a donor AMD A8 5600k  computer. It had a mobo with an 8 pin connector for CPU power. However, this stock computer had only a 300 watt PSU, with only a single 4-pin connector... And it worked as it was supposed to work. So yes, only a 4-pin power connector CAN work. But not sure about your system. (I bought a new cheapo PSU with 2x4 pin, just to have some more of them watts to the mobo, because of OC-ing)

10 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Did you try to boot with the bent pins?

no, i didn't think of that. as soon as i got it i just straightened the pins out. and then put in the cpu. 

5 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

I bought a donor AMD A8 5600k  computer. It had a mobo with an 8 pin connector for CPU power. However, this stock computer had only a 300 watt PSU, with only a single 4-pin connector... And it worked as it was supposed to work. So yes, only a 4-pin power connector CAN work. But not sure about your system. (I bought a new cheapo PSU with 2x4 pin, just to have some more of them watts to the mobo, because of OC-ing)

yes, i've heard stories like that so i do know it CAN work. but i've also read that apparently it doesn't work sometimes. 

i have some pictures with the straightened out pins. you can clearly see in the first picture where they were bent. to me it looks like they should make contact and they should work. but maybe i'm missing something.

IMG_20161106_150022.jpg

IMG_20161106_150059.jpg

IMG_20161106_150111.jpg

IMG_20161106_150123.jpg

IMG_20161106_150155.jpg

@jumpinghermit Entirely possible the mobo is dead. Did you buy it used?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

yeah, i thought about that. and yes, it was bought used. eh, you win some, you lose some. i got it for like 10 bucks. i think i will make the drive to buy a proper psu and try that as a last resort since i needed a psu anyway. and if not ... i'll just buy a cheap h110. this will just end up being a desktop pc for my mom anyway. 

27 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

yup, you were right. the board was dead irrespective of the bent pins. i talked to the previous owner and asked him the full story. i had just assumed that the board was bought, the cpu put in and it didn't work because he bent the pins on cpu install. or maybe that's what the ad implied ( pretty sure he mentioned that it was brand new or something like that )... can't remember right now anyways ... 

he actually got the board, it worked for about 4 months and then stopped working and when he took it to warranty they refused him on account of the bent pins. 

so the board died ... he took out the cpu and bent the pins in the process and the warranty was refused because of the bent pins. but the board not working started before the bent pins. 

if the pins had caused the board dying it wouldn't have worked for 4 months then not work. it would have not worked from day one.

so ... can't really fault him ... should have asked before hand. eh, as i said ... win some, lose some.