I need to run an Ethernet through carpet floor

ripper101

So my current $15 wifi card I had laying around isn't exactly cutting it right now. So I moved into a new room and It has carpet floor and I need to run an ethernet cord through my crawl space to my room. How do I drill through carpet the right?

2 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

So my current $15 wifi card I had laying around isn't exactly cutting it right now. So I moved into a new room and It has carpet floor and I need to run an ethernet cord through my crawl space to my room. How do I drill through carpet the right?

You don't normally drill through carpet, what you would do is cut the section of carpet with a Stanley knife, I believe Americans call them box cutters or craft knives. then you would drill through the flooring so that you can route the cable through... In my advice I would leave the carpet so that it just tucks around the cable when situated where you want it, if not you could end up with a horrible hole in the carpet and possibly losing your deposit if renting.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Dont cut the carpet for an ethernet cable, just pull up a corner. Carpets are usually stapled down at the edges

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

11 minutes ago, themctipers said:

run it across the walls.

For the sake of aesthetic and functionality purposes I'll stick with running it through the crawl space

14 minutes ago, themctipers said:

run it across the walls.

Well along the floor and then like run it up a corner to the ceiling might be the best looking approach depending on how far OP needs to run the cable. Though that approach would probably also require a bit more cable length just to accommodate for that kind of run.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

4 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

For the sake of aesthetic and functionality purposes I'll stick with running it through the crawl space

Or, you know, you can hide it in plain sight.

Image result for cable run along wall

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

12 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

The way I did it was in a corner, took a drill and just simply drilled down through the floor, then I took a plastic bag and put it over the ethernet connector, and used masking tape to make sure the connector was protected, I threaded it through the hole, went under the house and pulled it to the new area, drilled another hole, and stuck it back through.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

Or, you know, you can hide it in plain sight.

Image result for cable run along wall

Are you suggesting I paint my walls blue?

6 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

Are you suggesting I paint my walls blue?

You know that ethernet cables come in more than just blue colour, right?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

Yes, I am well aware. But are you suggesting that I take back the cord I ready have?

4 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

Yes, I am well aware. But are you suggesting that I take back the cord I ready have?

I'm suggesting maybe buy white ethernet cords instead of blue ones because they cost the same...?

Spoiler

18 hours ago, Enderman said:

I'm suggesting maybe buy white ethernet cords instead of blue ones because they cost the same...?

And what for the people who actually like to close their doors properly... ?

5 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

And what for the people who actually like to close their doors properly... ?

If you need to go over or underneath a door you can get flat cables too.

Image result for flat white ethernet

Spoiler