Can an iPad/Tablet replace a Laptop....

Abudis

.... in my case?

So guys. With the new iPad lineup, i've been thinking about getting one. i've never had a tablet and I've never used iOS before. Just an old-trusty Android smartphone.

Now, what's the situation. I'm willing to go UP to the 32GB version of an iPad (I'm looking at the Mini as well, but you can advise me on that) for the non-cellular model. But I face the following dilemma: will a 600$ laptop suit my needs better?

What are my needs? Basically, I want to surf the web. View PDF files from various websites, a lot of Youtube, scroll through forums, a little twitter and such (yay! one point for Tablet!). But, during a 4-5 hour trip, watching a movie or two, wouldn't be bad, not bad at all actually (well here it seems like a deuce, but I think tablets have generally more battery life, so should they get another point here?). And last - but I'm afraid - no least there comes the office use. I have 2 spare licences for mobile devices on Office 365 Student Version (it gave 4 licences, two for PC/Mac and two for mobile devices). I certainly, don't want to create whole word documents, powerpoint presentations or excel sheets, but using some OneNote or reviewing/changing some last-minute details on the go, well it's important. At this point, laptops get not only one, but two points, because that's their job. And when you're not talking about 2k dollar laptops but rather the 500-600 then this is their field in my opinion.

Let's sum up what we have in order of frequence of use/need:

1)Youtube, twitter, websites, forums, articles and newspapers 
2)Movies during a trip
3)Office Use

I want a device that can implement all three (in the degree I mentioned in that weirdly-written passage above). Is that device a Tablet? And if so, which one? (I've looked at some W8 Tablets, didn't like them, I'm too used to closing the window with clicking the mouse, rather than trying pressing the little "x" on top of the screen. I prefer the iPad because I think it feels better well-built, has a fantastic screen, and a crisp response (so what about the Mini? Will it be too small? ) ). Or is that device a nice 13'' laptop? 

Thank you for getting in the hassle of reading all this and if you catch yoursellf scratching your heads at my writing, it's because I'm not a native English speaker.

I hope in a good conversation.

CASE: Corsair Obsidian 550D PSU: Corsair TX750M M/B: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H CPU: Intel i5 3570K COOLER: Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 RAM:Corsair Vengeance 8GB GPU: Gigabyte GTX-660Ti SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black MONITOR: LG IPS231P-BN

Hell fucking no. Try typing out a 3000 word essay on a touchscreen and get back to me. And if you happen to use scientific terms...

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

ipad, no, surface pro 2 with keyboard attachment, maybe

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

Let's sum up what we have in order of frequence of use/need:

2)Movies during a trip

3)Office Use

1. Perfectly fine.

2. Sux on the iPad, as let's say, you can't put on your own movies without lots of conversion and so on, Apple doesn't like your personal movie database, it prefers you buying / renting them on iTunes. So if you plan on dropping an occasional .avi or something on it, you're screwed. Android tablets don't care what file it is, PowerAmp and VLC will play them all [including subs and stuff].

3. Office 365 Mobile does not work on iOS / Android tablets. You'll have to use iWork / QuickOffice or something similar.

If you go for a tablet, get the Nexus 7 [if you want a small one] or something like a Note 10.1 [2014 edition 1440p screen!].

For Office it's rather useless. No matter if 365 or any other office you gonna have a bad time with your layout and the likes.

If you can live without the Office part, get a Nexus 7 / Note 10.1[2014].

I had an iPad and I gave it away as it was more of a nuisance at university than a benefit. [Note 10.1 doing fine ^^]

So be sure you can live without a very reliable office re malaka ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Hell fucking no. Try typing out a 3000 word essay on a touchscreen and get back to me. And if you happen to use scientific terms...

Thats why bluetooth keyboards were created  :D

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

Thats why bluetooth keyboards were created  :D

Exactly, i'm pretty sure you can find some rather cheap bluetooth keyboards that work with all kinds of mobile devices on websites such as Amazon  :D

The iPad Mini will do fine imo. To me something like the iPad Mini or Nexus 7 is the ideal size for a tablet, easy to carry around and still big enough to use comfortably. 

It can be a little awkward when typing text though (I have a Nexus 7 2013).

I'm not entirely sure why someone in this thread mentioned that Office 365 will not work on iOS or Android. 

I don't use this app, but after a quick search, it does seem to be available on the Google Play store at least.

Even if it doesn't work, for example Android has a couple of other free office apps that will do for the most basic stuff (such as their own Google Drive app).

Other than that, i can really recommend the Nexus 7 2013 too. It's a lot of tablet for an affordable price.

Exactly, i'm pretty sure you can find some rather cheap bluetooth keyboards that work with all kinds of mobile devices on websites such as Amazon  :D

The iPad Mini will do fine imo. To me something like the iPad Mini or Nexus 7 is the ideal size for a tablet, easy to carry around and still big enough to use comfortably. 

I'm not entirely sure why someone in this thread mentioned that Office 365 will not work on iOS or Android. 

I don't use this app, but after a quick search, it does seem to be available on the Google Play store at least.

Even if it doesn't work, for example Android has a couple of other free office apps that will do for the most basic stuff (such as their own Google Drive app).

Other than that, i can really recommend the Nexus 7 2013 too. It's a lot of tablet for an affordable price.

I do have a cheap bluetooth keyboard that I got from Amazon lol and I use Google Drive since it's so awesome and my school only uses Drive now  :)

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

I would personally get a tablet, but an Android one.

It is well known that the ipad environment is more comprehensive and easier to handle thanks to optimized apps.

But what I like about an Android tablet is that you have more choices when it comes to consuming media and productivity.

If you really needed you could connect a regular keyboard to it using an OTG cable.

Tablet support for android is not the best but seeing the tablet market grow like it is growing, app optimization is only going to get better.

If you have some time to wait you could wait until Google unveils the Nexus 5 because the new Nexus 10 is probably going to be announced on the same event.

If you go for a tablet I would really recommend looking into the Logitech K760. It is "made for iOS" but it really works with everything. It is solar powered and bluetooth, so you will never have to worry about charging it

As soon as I can use Visual Studio on an iPad.  Microsoft should definitely work with apple on this.  :lol:

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

In my first post, I state that I don't want to write whole essays on a tablet, just do some last-minute checks or even change some small details if i have to. Can a Tablet do that? A laptop can, for sure. But a Tablet?

[...]

2. Sux on the iPad, as let's say, you can't put on your own movies without lots of conversion and so on, Apple doesn't like your personal movie database, it prefers you buying / renting them on iTunes. So if you plan on dropping an occasional .avi or something on it, you're screwed. Android tablets don't care what file it is, PowerAmp and VLC will play them all [including subs and stuff].

[...]

So be sure you can live without a very reliable office re malaka ^^

Let's say I have a .mkv file, an anime episode (yay!). It is impossible to get it in the iPad? (I imagine that on Android, it's a simple drag&drop)

P.S.: that "re malaka" thing, if you come to Greece, don't go around using it because it is an offensive word. Very offensive one. But between close friends it is used in the context you may have heard. It's fun that you know this thing, because truth is we say it a lot to each other when we have a certain level of intimacy, but you wouldn't want to call the baker or the waiter "malaka". But, if you become friends with them, it's a must! (I'm not offended at all, just wanted to clear it for you so that you don't get in trouble) 

Regarding the Office compatibility, I contacted the Greek Customer Service of Microsoft and an empolyee told me that is only available for Android Smartphones, iPhones and Windows Phones for now. He didn't seem to know any more details, but I think that a tablet optimization will follow as well.

As for the smaller tablets, they surely are more comfortable to hold, easier to carry around and such, but isn't that a trade-off for the ability to read text without straining your eyes and doing a bit of typing?

I would personally get a tablet, but an Android one.

It is well known that the ipad environment is more comprehensive and easier to handle thanks to optimized apps.

But what I like about an Android tablet is that you have more choices when it comes to consuming media and productivity.

If you really needed you could connect a regular keyboard to it using an OTG cable.

Tablet support for android is not the best but seeing the tablet market grow like it is growing, app optimization is only going to get better.

If you have some time to wait you could wait until Google unveils the Nexus 5 because the new Nexus 10 is probably going to be announced on the same event.

I will surely wait for the new Nexus and I want to see the iPad after some time from it's launch, read/watch reviews etc. When does the Nexus come out?

And another question for all, because I've missed all news on the Android market recently. What are the hottest Android Tablets now? (I say again, that I kind of disliked the Windows alternatives)

CASE: Corsair Obsidian 550D PSU: Corsair TX750M M/B: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H CPU: Intel i5 3570K COOLER: Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 RAM:Corsair Vengeance 8GB GPU: Gigabyte GTX-660Ti SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black MONITOR: LG IPS231P-BN

.Let's sum up what we have in order of frequence of use/need:

2)Movies during a trip

3)Office Use

For the first 2 items on your list a tablet easily replaces a laptop and in my opinion is a nicer, more comforting experience than using a laptop

Office use is where tablets really fall short of a laptop.  Obviously typing a document on a tablet is painful using the on screen keyboard, and an external Bluetooth keyboard is not a good experience.  Also there are no full featured office suite apps for tablets and any other word processing apps will differ from Microsoft Office.  I think for you, the best option is to look into one of the Microsoft surface tablets (surface 2 or surface pro 2).  That way you can use it like a tablet and when you need a keyboard for typing Facebook messages, tweets, documents etc. you can use the touchcover which is a much better alternative than other tablets. 

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

TL; DR:

Nope. But if you really want the form factor get one of the convertible ultrabooks.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

People seem to forget that tablet devices have full support for bluetooth keyboards. If one absolutely must use them for productivity, they are more than capable of fulfilling such needs.

I need to use my Galaxy Note 10.1 at college for taking notes and doing research. Whenever I need to type a lot, I use a £15 bluetooth keyboard which works perfectly well with it.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Let's say I have a .mkv file, an anime episode (yay!). It is impossible to get it in the iPad? (I imagine that on Android, it's a simple drag&drop)

It's  nerve-wrecking to impossible. I had one. Gave up on it after like 20 converters didn't do anything useful. You gonna hate it.

Yes Android is drag&drop and download VLC from google play, use subtitles and w/e ^^

P.S.: that "re malaka" thing, if you come to Greece, don't go around using it because it is an offensive word. Very offensive one. But between close friends it is used in the context you may have heard. It's fun that you know this thing, because truth is we say it a lot to each other when we have a certain level of intimacy, but you wouldn't want to call the baker or the waiter "malaka". But, if you become friends with them, it's a must! (I'm not offended at all, just wanted to clear it for you so that you don't get in trouble)

Ellinas eimai alla milao liga Ellinika ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

A convertible laptop/tablet would be the most ideal option. Those tend to be pricier though. A keyboard attachment may work, but some may be awkward to use (due to being too small). 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Regarding the Office compatibility, I contacted the Greek Customer Service of Microsoft and an empolyee told me that is only available for Android Smartphones, iPhones and Windows Phones for now. He didn't seem to know any more details, but I think that a tablet optimization will follow as well.

As for the smaller tablets, they surely are more comfortable to hold, easier to carry around and such, but isn't that a trade-off for the ability to read text without straining your eyes and doing a bit of typing?

I must say that the typing experience when using the on screen keyboard is probably far worse than on a bigger tablet (although i don't have that much experience with bigger tablets). But no matter what, typing with a touch keyboard is always a lot slower than using a normal keyboard. That's why you might want to get a cheap portable bluetooth keyboard from some online shop.

Something like a Microsoft Surface is definitely very good at doing this, with its keyboard cover. I have used one before (the RT version), and its build quality is very good as well (and by the way, those keyboard covers have a touchpad like on a laptop too :P ). The only downside when getting the RT version is of course the number of apps you can get, although this seems to be an improving situation lately.

If you want to get the regular Surface, you're obviously looking at a much higher price.

I don't have any problems with reading text on my tablet however. I especially love this tablet because of its high resolution screen. It allows you to zoom text quite a bit and still get a very crisp and clear result.

For the text editor, you might want to check out this app for android.

I think it is pretty similar to what you would get with something like open office on a regular computer.

It seems like it does have a lot more functionality than something like Google Drive.

I for one completely replaced my laptop with my tablet. I dont use my laptop much anymore and primarily use my nexus 7 v2 now. Its small and light enough to bring it with me where ever I go and its powerful enough to do whatever I need with it. Battery easily lasts me 2-3 movies. I find that typing on the screen not too hard in landscape mode and with 2 hands, and I can get by replying emails and small paragraphs in forums, but anything longer ill use my desktop for the text heavy stuff.

I must say that the typing experience when using the on screen keyboard is probably far worse than on a bigger tablet (although i don't have that much experience with bigger tablets). But no matter what, typing with a touch keyboard is always a lot slower than using a normal keyboard. That's why you might want to get a cheap portable bluetooth keyboard from some online shop.

Something like a Microsoft Surface is definitely very good at doing this, with its keyboard cover. I have used one before (the RT version), and its build quality is very good as well (and by the way, those keyboard covers have a touchpad like on a laptop too :P ). The only downside when getting the RT version is of course the number of apps you can get, although this seems to be an improving situation lately.

If you want to get the regular Surface, you're obviously looking at a much higher price.

I don't have any problems with reading text on my tablet however. I especially love this tablet because of its high resolution screen. It allows you to zoom text quite a bit and still get a very crisp and clear result.

For the text editor, you might want to check out this app for android.

I think it is pretty similar to what you would get with something like open office on a regular computer.

It seems like it does have a lot more functionality than something like Google Drive.

I think there will be a tablet opimization for MS Office soon enough, so I will wait for news on that front as well. I'm not rushing it, i will also wait for the new Nexus. I've done some reading and I think that the Nexus 7 is the best money can buy when it comes to Android so I have many expectations from the Nexus 10. We'll see.

I for one completely replaced my laptop with my tablet. I dont use my laptop much anymore and primarily use my nexus 7 v2 now. Its small and light enough to bring it with me where ever I go and its powerful enough to do whatever I need with it. Battery easily lasts me 2-3 movies. I find that typing on the screen not too hard in landscape mode and with 2 hands, and I can get by replying emails and small paragraphs in forums, but anything longer ill use my desktop for the text heavy stuff.

That's exaclty what I'm talking about. I am a desktop fan, so there always be a desktop around that I can use for the serious stuff. Just some small e-mail replies, forums as you said and the occasional word document correction or something similar. I don't want to buy a device that replaces a desktop (that's what a laptop tries to do). I have a desktop and I use it -and that's kind of sad I guess- many hours a day. But for the time I am out, a simple, portable device with a few working capabilities, seems useful.  

A convertible laptop/tablet would be the most ideal option. Those tend to be pricier though. A keyboard attachment may work, but some may be awkward to use (due to being too small). 

^Agreed. While they are pricey, the keyboard attachments allow tablet to be used exactly like a laptop, with exception of being able to just take the keyboard out if you don't need it. The convertible laptop/tablet ''hybrid's'' keyboards are usually better than cheap 15$ bluetooth keyboards. But that doesn't mean convertible laptop/tablets' keyboards are perfect, at least by my experience on Acer Iconia W511.

As far as tablet replacing a laptop goes, yes. You can replace it with a tablet, but you may lose some functionalities  that regular desktops and laptops have. The exception being Windows 8 tablets...

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

TLDR, but No... maybe if the ONLY usage you have is the one numbered on the first post, a Surface Pro 2 with a Type Cover will probably do the trick, but when you say gaming? No. Just No. Get an ASUS/MSI gaming laptop and you are good to go.

No, not in a million years. You cannot use a tablet for productivity like you can use a laptop. Touch can never replace a mouse and a touch keyboard is never as good as a laptop's keyboard. Tablets are for entertainment purposes only

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

TLDR, but No... maybe if the ONLY usage you have is the one numbered on the first post, a Surface Pro 2 with a Type Cover will probably do the trick, but when you say gaming? No. Just No. Get an ASUS/MSI gaming laptop and you are good to go.

The usage is the one numbered in the first post in order of importance and frequency. I didn't say anything about gaming, off course not. I have my pc and my PS3 ( :ph34r: ) for that. 

No, not in a million years. You cannot use a tablet for productivity like you can use a laptop. Touch can never replace a mouse and a touch keyboard is never as good as a laptop's keyboard. Tablets are for entertainment purposes only

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You don't think a tablet will be able (at least not now, but I feel there will be software-updates shortly) to have some porductivity cabability? I don't mean writring a whole essay, just reviewing some details and making small changes.