• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is this the Surface phone? Huawei Mate 9 Pro also teased

Hmm..  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a Surface phone?

• Yes, I can't wait!
    • No, the mobile OS/Eco system still hasn't matured.

Listen. If it has ful Windows 10,Then check yes. 

Main PC:  Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM: Amd R9 Gamer 32gb 2400mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF X Case | Storage: Amd R7 480gb, 2x Crucial M500 240gb, Toshiba 5TB | PSU: Antec True Power Quattro 1200 | CPU: Amd FX-9590 | GPU: Asus Amd Fury X | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Sound: Razer Leviathan | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Display: Dell u3415w | Cooling: Apogee XL, Heatkiller Fury X w/ Back Plate, 720mm Rad

If the phone has an x86 CPU, then that means the phone will run x86 applications, else there is no point... x86 isn't efficient chip compared to ARM. Already, with such phone, you have to expect low battery life (meaning: no full day intensive use battery). Unless there is some sort of ARM and x86 hybrid Frankenstein chip inside.

Ultimately what it means, and we have to be realistic, is that under Continuum mode, this is where you can run x86 programs. On the go, as a phone, I doubt it, because most Win32 (x86) programs aren't high-DPI aware. So they'll look all wrong (blurry) or possibly even broken (options are out of screen, or work area is too small to do anything due to too large tool bars and such). Although, it could allow codecs and existing x86 code to run within a UWP app.. allowing for stuff like Steam in home streaming to run, and port even more easily some indi title games... although you'll need a keyboard/mouse or controller to play (which you can as Win10Mobile, already supports all this)

Now for the vote, I am surprised people saying that the OS is not mature.. it is mature, pretty mature I would say. Clearly people voting without knowing anything about the OS.

BUT, what I would agree, and I think this is what people meant, is that the ecosystem is not mature. Yes I agree. I expect further integration with Windows 10, and of course more apps.. but apps will only come if the user base is large. That said, thanks to Windows 10 and UWP, you do have full apps and updated/supported like: Facebook (and its Messenger app), Instagram, Whatsapp, Twitter, Netflix, Pandora, Spotify, VLC, Photoshop express, Hulu, Box, DropBox, Fitbit, TeamViewer, Evernote, Flipboard, Plex, and more.

Of course, it needs LOTS more. but it is an excellent start, if such phone comes into reality.

Personally, I hope that people are open into diving in another OS. Competition is good, and I feel like iOS and Android really lacks innovation. Both OS feels, at least to me, I don't know about you, stagnate. Yes yes, they are new features, but they come out very slowly.

Would like to see such phone. Would possibly have Android one alongside that WP SP cause yeah needs to mature as far as be it OS or store and app support.

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

6 hours ago, Eason85 said:

I will never quote again just because your jimmies are so rustled by it.

Windows on mobile that can run x86 apps has a clear advantage: instead of continuum giving you the facsimile of a full Windows computer, it is a full Windows computer. There should be no reason why you couldn't plug your phone in to a monitor/egpu and have a full desktop-power experience. 

Don't let someone who's a little salty get you down. Trust me, you won't get far on the forum if you do! ;)

I'm not quite sure why he even took issue with it tbh.

Quoting is important. Others will never know you replied otherwise.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

@dizmo Please don't put 2 news items in one.

Duly noted, however it should be in the Guidelines doc as I've done it many times before without issue.

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Interesting news - though I agree with @GoodBytes, not a fan of 2 different news items (however similar they might be) in one topic. People are going to get confused, and assume the Huawei Mate 9 Pro is the Surface Phone, when that's not the case at all.

Furthermore, what does "Laptop-class" CPU mean? Does that mean a super beefed up, high powered ARM SoC? Or does that mean a ultra low voltage x86 SoC? Because the implications of one vs the other are extremely different.

x86 + Continuum would be, frankly, badass, if the experience was smooth, and they could curb battery life to be similar to an 8xx series Snapdragon SoC. That would be a business professional's dream phone. I'd definitely be interested in that, and have a Continuum Dock setup on my desk at work, connected to my 2x Monitors over DisplayPort, so I could easily switch between my work PC and my phone - hell, this could even mean some people wouldn't even need a work PC, depending on their specific tasks they do - stuff like MS Word and Excel don't exactly need a $2000 Workstation.

I assumed most would be smarter than that. My mistake.

Considering an ARM processor hasn't really been used in a laptop afaik, I don't think it'd be that. Perhaps an M chip?

Though I'd really hope it'd be an i5, given they use the same power and are the same price.

Is it possible to lock an i5 at it's lower tdp? Wouldn't be much worse tooo than an Atom.

What exactly is it that you do for work, if you don't mind me asking? I've seen you mention it quite a bit, I'd be interested to hear what workflow can easily be taken from one spot to another like that.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

If the phone has an x86 CPU, then that means the phone will run x86 applications, else there is no point... x86 isn't efficient chip compared to ARM. Already, with such phone, you have to expect low battery life (meaning: no full day intensive use battery). Unless there is some sort of ARM and x86 hybrid Frankenstein chip inside.

Ultimately what it means, and we have to be realistic, is that under Continuum mode, this is where you can run x86 programs. On the go, as a phone, I doubt it, because most Win32 (x86) programs aren't high-DPI aware. So they'll look all wrong (blurry) or possibly even broken (options are out of screen, or work area is too small to do anything due to too large tool bars and such). Although, it could allow codecs and existing x86 code to run within a UWP app.. allowing for stuff like Steam in home streaming to run, and port even more easily some indi title games... although you'll need a keyboard/mouse or controller to play (which you can as Win10Mobile, already supports all this)

Now for the vote, I am surprised people saying that the OS is not mature.. it is mature, pretty mature I would say. Clearly people voting without knowing anything about the OS.

BUT, what I would agree, and I think this is what people meant, is that the ecosystem is not mature.

Personally, I hope that people are open into diving in another OS. Competition is good, and I feel like iOS and Android really lacks innovation. Both OS feels, at least to me, I don't know about you, stagnate. Yes yes, they are new features, but they come out very slowly.

The possibilities are quite interesting. I can't wait to see what they've actually done with it, if it turns out to be real.

Ah yes, that's exactly what I meant. I've changed the option to match it, though personally I still feel the OS itself is a little lacking. Mind you I haven't used it since 8. It just felt unpolished.

That's largely down to personal preference though. Could be I just hate the overall design.

I've always been baffled at some of the things that Google fails to bake into Android. For example, I recently switched to a Nexus while I await something interesting to come out. On stock Android I'm unable to dismiss notifications from the lock screen. On my Note5 I can simply swipe it away. How is this not a stock feature?! (Though now that I think of it...perhaps I have to push it to the left..)

I almost feel they're too afraid to go out and take all of the good ideals OEM's skins have.

I think they are improving though. Their battery optimization with Nougat is impressive. I don't think WP is any faster.

Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

9 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

You can also assume it will have either 4GB or 6GB RAM.

What's the point in >3GB RAM when Windows 10 Mobile is still 32-bit and can't take advantage of more than 3.5GB RAM?

Mechanical keyboard aficionado, professional fox

Mechanical Keyboard Club | Don't buy "gaming" keyboards, yo

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Be proud of who you are.

Microsoft needs to do two things:

Either try paying big app developers to port/support their platform (snapchat left, and twitch to this day has no native app. Just two big examples, there are quite a lot more) or go with x86 and find a way to run full windows apps on phones.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.” — Horacio Jones

9 minutes ago, Daring said:

What's the point in >3GB RAM when Windows 10 Mobile is still 32-bit and can't take advantage of more than 3.5GB RAM?

4GB, for that extra 500mb. Has Nvidia taught you nothing?

7 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

Microsoft needs to do two things:

Either try paying big app developers to port/support their platform (snapchat left, and twitch to this day has no native app. Just two big examples, there are quite a lot more) or go with x86 and find a way to run full windows apps on phones.

I think they tried that already, didn't they?

It's not really just having the app, as it is maintaining it which would be an even bigger battle.

For example I wouldn't go to an OS that doesn't have a banking app for my bank. That needs to be constantly tweaked by them, meaning an even bigger investment than simply making the app and running off.

Current PC:

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

18 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Don't let someone who's a little salty get you down. Trust me, you won't get far on the forum if you do! ;)

I'm not quite sure why he even took issue with it tbh.

Quoting is important. Others will never know you replied otherwise.

Duly noted, however it should be in the Guidelines doc as I've done it many times before without issue.

I assumed most would be smarter than that. My mistake.

Considering an ARM processor hasn't really been used in a laptop afaik, I don't think it'd be that. Perhaps an M chip?

Though I'd really hope it'd be an i5, given they use the same power and are the same price.

Is it possible to lock an i5 at it's lower tdp? Wouldn't be much worse tooo than an Atom.

What exactly is it that you do for work, if you don't mind me asking? I've seen you mention it quite a bit, I'd be interested to hear what workflow can easily be taken from one spot to another like that.

The possibilities are quite interesting. I can't wait to see what they've actually done with it, if it turns out to be real.

Ah yes, that's exactly what I meant. I've changed the option to match it, though personally I still feel the OS itself is a little lacking. Mind you I haven't used it since 8. It just felt unpolished.

That's largely down to personal preference though. Could be I just hate the overall design.

I've always been baffled at some of the things that Google fails to bake into Android. For example, I recently switched to a Nexus while I await something interesting to come out. On stock Android I'm unable to dismiss notifications from the lock screen. On my Note5 I can simply swipe it away. How is this not a stock feature?!

I almost feel they're too afraid to go out and take all of the good ideals OEM's skins have.

I think they are improving though. Their battery optimization with Nougat is impressive. I don't think WP is any faster.

Indeed, I suspect you're right that "Laptop-class" means x86. With that in mind, there have been ARM laptops before - mostly Chromebooks. Not really mainstream mind you :P

I work for a Public Library as part of the 3-man IT team, so we're pretty much jack of all trades in that respect, Systems/Network Admins, help desk, computer tech, etc, all rolled into one. I can't say that everyone would benefit to the same degree as I would, but I think x86-64 Windows Phone w/ Continuum that gives you full win32 compatibility and a normal desktop experience when using Continuum mode.

I suspect if they do go x86 for the Surface Phone, it'll be some sort of Intel Atom SoC. Perhaps an ultra low power i-series SoC (i5 quad core, for example)?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

But people can use Excel, Word, Powerpoint etc on a currently existing Windows Phones which support Continuum......

You can use all of those on an Android phone or iPhone. Not an advantage.

Be proud of who you are.

I would be interested in a surface phone if it did indeed come with a x86 processor and could run Win32 apps. I would be more than happy to do so, and Windows phone should have been like that in the first place.

Because obviously the Porsche Design isnt something most people would ever even consider lol. Meh honestly, Windows 10 Mobile variants are not recommended for anyone other than those who seek business oriented workspaces and integration with Continuum alongside the Microsoft Studio and Surface. Seriously, anyone who wants a great experience with any mobile operating system, must never consider a device running Windows 10 "Mobile" iterations. It will get very boring and dry in the 1st 12 hours at worst... Also, the Microsoft cooling solution wasnt exactly something revolutionary or not applied on mobile devices, with Samsung currently trailing them with similar solutions, altough they dont seem to be that effective anyways. An Intel Kabylake U cpu in a smartphone tough, that would be pretty cool to see. Intel been rocking some nice modems lately, especiall the X7480.

Groomlake Authority

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

I think they tried that already, didn't they?

It's not really just having the app, as it is maintaining it which would be an even bigger battle.

For example I wouldn't go to an OS that doesn't have a banking app for my bank. That needs to be constantly tweaked by them, meaning an even bigger investment than simply making the app and running off.

They were too broad, as in "we'll pay anyone putting apps on our platform" which resulted in a fuck-ton of crappy apps from random/new devs who were after the money. They literally need to approach big banks and top 100 apps and pay them millions to port and maintain.

Honestly, I have it good with KBC supporting all 3 main platforms (even though I'm on android), but many banks don't.

Honestly, what they need is either an UWP compiler for ARM, or fully switching to an x86 architecture on their phones and creating some kind of api/trigger that would enable devs to implement and switch-on phone layouts for normal Windows apps.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.” — Horacio Jones

Would get that surface phone in a heartbeat looks so sexy I really need a note 7 replacement already! 

To be honest, that "render" looks extremely fake.

• Why is the screen not part of the phone's body? Why is it sticking out a bit?
  • Why would they release a high-end phone without backlit buttons?
  • That body looks insanely thin. Like, unrealistically thin. Where would the battery go?
  • Also, the plastic used looks like something you'd find in a 3D printed fake phone... not something meant to be an $800 flagship.

Nothing to see here, people, just more garbage "leaks".

Be proud of who you are.

16 minutes ago, Daring said:

• That body looks insanely thin. Like, unrealistically thin. Where would the battery go?
  • Also, the plastic used looks like something you'd find in a 3D printed fake phone... not something meant to be an $800 flagship.

1. Why do apples cameras stick out? Part of the design.

2. Look at the picture on the right the search button is lit.

3. Have you seen how thin a Note 7 or Iphone 7 is? This is about the same plus having the screen sticking out a bit would give them some extra space.

4. Looks like textured metal to me. Maybe they don't wanna be like every other phone maker using aluminum.

Not saying this is real but your concerns aren't really valid.

Edit: Just saw this is from Evan Blass there is a good possibility this is actually legit.

12 hours ago, dizmo said:

How do you know? Perhaps it has one.

Also no one said it was for sale.

Haha, while their market share is super low, they've always said they'll continue to make mobile products. Even if no one buys them.

Might have one, we don't know yet.

I believe continuum would be what they're going for if the rumor is true. Usually I would put absolutely 0 weight into it, but coming from Blass it's highly likely. He's spot on with most of his stuff. Fits pretty in line with what they're attempting with the HP device.

I've tried it, I hated it. Not just the store, either.

I don't mind the live tiles/tiled wallpaper. I hate how the apps are just in a list. It all around felt unpolished.

Do they have a proper eBay app yet? Last time I tried it it was worse than Blackberry's bastardized version.

It even lacked the live countdown window.

no ebay app currently there is a paypal app though.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

8 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

1. Why do apples cameras stick out? Part of the design.

2. Look at the picture on the right the search button is lit.

3. Have you seen how thin a Note 7 or Iphone 7 is? This is about the same plus having the screen sticking out a bit would give them some extra space.

4. Looks like textured metal to me. Maybe they don't wanna be like every other phone maker using aluminum.

Not saying this is real but your concerns aren't really valid.

ok

But then what about the "laptop-class" CPU? If it has a Core M, then it will never be able to match the battery life of ARM-based phones. The Core M (and x86) is much more power-hungry than ARM.

Be proud of who you are.

4 hours ago, Daring said:

Soon it will be able to take advantage of 4GB RAM.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

iPhone 8 Plus (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XTX (Early 2021 Upgrade - AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT (12C/24T)  (2021) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler (2021), Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD (2020) , NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML120 x2 (2021)

18 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

But PayPal were dicks and discontinued support for it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

Samaritan XTX (Early 2021 Upgrade - AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT (12C/24T)  (2021) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler (2021), Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD (2020) , NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML120 x2 (2021)

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Amazon have done the same thing and dropped support in favour of the mobile website.

what windows phone needs right now is a major developer to take up support for windows phone. I think it will get there and Microsoft is playing the long game.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

It could mean Intel core M

4.5Watts, maybe a little more downclocking and it would be fine :P (although a S820 already throttles in a phone...)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

4.5Watts, maybe a little more downclocking and it would be fine :P (although a S820 already throttles in a phone...)

well, Intel officially supports a cTDP down TDP of 3.5w and a frequency of 600MHz :D. For the lowest end Core M class CPU.

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Indeed, I suspect you're right that "Laptop-class" means x86. With that in mind, there have been ARM laptops before - mostly Chromebooks. Not really mainstream mind you :P

I work for a Public Library as part of the 3-man IT team, so we're pretty much jack of all trades in that respect, Systems/Network Admins, help desk, computer tech, etc, all rolled into one. I can't say that everyone would benefit to the same degree as I would, but I think x86-64 Windows Phone w/ Continuum that gives you full win32 compatibility and a normal desktop experience when using Continuum mode.

I suspect if they do go x86 for the Surface Phone, it'll be some sort of Intel Atom SoC. Perhaps an ultra low power i-series SoC (i5 quad core, for example)?

Really? Oh man. Haha, luckily I don't think that's really what he meant.

I'm still really hoping for some kind of low powered i5 :D

Ahhh, nice. Makes sense!

I hope it's not an Atom, and something with a little more power to truly make the use of Continuum.

44 minutes ago, Daring said:

Renders often look better than the device that comes out.

The screen could be a design feature.

2 years ago we had phones that were 5mm thick, the Moto Z is about the same. Why does size surprise you?

Also worth noting is the phone looks to be quite large. Easy to fit a pretty big battery in there.

Buttons aren't backlit all the time, so maybe they're off?

You can't tell material from a photo, and it's easily subject to change.

Evan Blass has an excellent track record of being correct with leaks. It's the only reason I bothered posting it.

22 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

No eBay app, no purchase. Sad.

21 minutes ago, Daring said:

ok

But then what about the "laptop-class" CPU? If it has a Core M, then it will never be able to match the battery life of ARM-based phones. The Core M (and x86) is much more power-hungry than ARM.

The battery life is a fair issue. However, throw a large enough battery in there and have it optimized properly (more important than anything), and it'll easily last as long as a majority of Android flagships.

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Haha, gah. Even less useful. Though I can sort of understand, what with the extremely low market share.

Current PC:

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

The battery life is a fair issue. However, throw a large enough battery in there and have it optimized properly (more important than anything), and it'll easily last as long as a majority of Android flagships.

They'd need to put a massive fuckin' battery in there, considering how Core M laptops with batteries with tens of thousands of mAh can barely last 6 hours on a charge.

Be proud of who you are.