Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NES mini tear down. Cpu is Arm based

Source: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/11/nes-mini-teardowns-have-begun-chips-identified/

The first major image of the NES Mini's motherboard hit the Internet thanks to Gamespot Senior Reviews Editor Peter Brown. His shots were shared and scrutinized by members of Reddit's Nintendo community. Code numbers on chips led those users to determine that the system (which emulates NES games and displays them on 1080p displays) is primarily fueled by an AllWinner R16 "system-on-chip" solution.

If the chip works as advertised by Chinese manufacturer AllWinner, as opposed to being customized for the NES Mini in any way, then it includes a dual-core Mali-400 GPU which could be powerful enough to pump out as many as 55 million triangles per second (in its 28nm, 500MHz variant). There's also a quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU, which has been clocked at 1.2GHz in smartphones, as well as 256MB of DDR3 RAM and 512MB of NAND flash storage.

Replacing a smd flash chip is easy peasy. Making it replaceable is also easy (or placing a larger chip). Since the cpu is arm based the OS Nintendo made is likely Linux at its core. And the Allwinner r16 has a usb otg controller built into it as well. i think we will see custom game list relatively soon IMO. 

Main PC:  Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM: Amd R9 Gamer 32gb 2400mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF X Case | Storage: Amd R7 480gb, 2x Crucial M500 240gb, Toshiba 5TB | PSU: Antec True Power Quattro 1200 | CPU: Amd FX-9590 | GPU: Asus Amd Fury X | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Sound: Razer Leviathan | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Display: Dell u3415w | Cooling: Apogee XL, Heatkiller Fury X w/ Back Plate, 720mm Rad

Brilliant move by Nintendo.  They will sell more of these this Holiday than they did WiiU's last year.

I'm buying one. Mainly so I don't have to dig in my moms attic for my old regular NES. 

Plus the nostalgia is strong with it, 30  games, 1 controller and a mini nes for 60? Throw in another controller for 10 and boom, instant 2P action.

12 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

This also means it's more powerful than the 3DS, lol.

The 3ds is 5 years old.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Which is why it amazes me that they release a "New" 3DS that's only a bit more powerful for all intents and purposes.

Just now, shdowhunt60 said:

Which is why it amazes me that they release a "New" 3DS that's only a bit more powerful for all intents and purposes.

I wasn't aware a mid-console refresh requires radically different internal hardware.

The New 3DS is fine as it fixes many of the original's flaws. That was it's goal. The additional performance was to alleviate CPU bottlenecking, which can be seen and duplicated in even games like Zelda; OoT.

The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Forever in search of my reason to exist.

I owned an NES as my first console and although having one of this would be awesome, it's a disappointment. If it had access to Nintendo's eShop to add more games and expandable storage, it would have been x100000 better. 

SNOWHEART - laptop

Model: TRACER III 17R XTREME VR 800 || CPU: Intel i7-8750H  || RAM: HyperX Impact 16GB || GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 || Storage: Intel 660P 512GB +  AData SX8200 1TB + Samsung 850 Evo 250GB || Display: 1920x1080p 144hz

MILK - desktop

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow (white) || PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750w || MB: Z490 Gigabyte Aorus Elite AC || CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K || CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 w/ Kaze Flex RGB fans push/pull || RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (white) || GPU: Galax GTX 1070 EXOC-SNPR || Storage: WD Black SN750 500GB + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB + Crucial MX500 2TB + SG Firecuda 2TB

PERIPHERALS / DISPLAYS

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Elite || Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Razer Basilisk Hyperspeed || Monitor: HP Omen 32 + HP Omen 27i

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I wasn't aware a mid-console refresh requires radically different internal hardware.

The New 3DS is fine as it fixes many of the original's flaws. That was it's goal. The additional performance was to alleviate CPU bottlenecking, which can be seen and duplicated in even games like Zelda; OoT.

Mid console? The 3DS has been out for almost 5 years at that point. If there's ever a time to replace the thing, it was then. And we have seen mid-console refreshes bring major revisions to the hardware, look at the billion different models of Gameboy up until the Gameboy Advance.

5 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Mid console? The 3DS has been out for almost 5 years at that point. If there's ever a time to replace the thing, it was then. And we have seen mid-console refreshes bring major revisions to the hardware, look at the billion different models of Gameboy up until the Gameboy Advance.

That would be 3 years, 2 for the XL.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

so what's the difference between this and retroPi?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

The NES mini still takes cartridges though, right? And is there still slow-down and flickering on the NES mini?

7 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

The NES mini still takes cartridges though, right? And is there still slow-down and flickering on the NES mini?

No cartridges. Everything is digitally stored on the console.

Due to the way how it's set up, what's on the console is what you get. Although, knowing the modding community that might change.

Mechanical keyboard aficionado, professional fox

Mechanical Keyboard Club | Don't buy "gaming" keyboards, yo

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Be proud of who you are.

Yeah, I can see homebrew being made for this thing. It's just... All it is, is a NES emulation box. Why not give it... I don't know, support for other Nintendo consoles?

2 hours ago, Daring said:

Due to the way how it's set up, what's on the console is what you get. Although, knowing the modding community that might change.

Well that sucks. I don't really see the purpose of it without actual cartridge support. I still have some cartridges, too, and it would've been great for the value of vintage NES games.

5 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Well that sucks. I don't really see the purpose of it without actual cartridge support. I still have some cartridges, too, and it would've been great for the value of vintage NES games.

It's too tiny for cartridges, so...

I know how you feel, though. I have some NES carts left over from my NES (and the NES before that, and the NES before the NES before that one), and being able to play them on my fancy, modern LCD TV would be nice. The game selection on the NES Mini isn't even that great, missing some great titles like Contra, Castlevania III and Ikari Warriors, and being limited to only 30 games out of 713.

Mechanical keyboard aficionado, professional fox

Mechanical Keyboard Club | Don't buy "gaming" keyboards, yo

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Be proud of who you are.

11 hours ago, Daring said:

As a part of that community, we are already on it. 

Main PC:  Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM: Amd R9 Gamer 32gb 2400mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF X Case | Storage: Amd R7 480gb, 2x Crucial M500 240gb, Toshiba 5TB | PSU: Antec True Power Quattro 1200 | CPU: Amd FX-9590 | GPU: Asus Amd Fury X | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Sound: Razer Leviathan | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Display: Dell u3415w | Cooling: Apogee XL, Heatkiller Fury X w/ Back Plate, 720mm Rad

As someone who never had a nes this is just fine for me, especialy since it is only 60 dollars/euro and it would be just plug and play with 30 games and a controller, would be sweet if there was an optin to add more games but i'm not going to complain formthat price

CPU:R7 2700X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, WD 2TB black, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105