Can the MSI GT83VR 6RF TITAN SLI reach 144hz refresh rate and use G-Sync feature with an external monitor?

Hello everyone, I am looking for a new gaming laptop

I have my eyes on the MSI GT83VR 6RF TITAN SLI, which has two GTX1080.

I still likes to use external monitor while gaming, I want to experience 120hz or 144hz refresh rate and the G-Sync feature. Would this laptop be able to these using an external monitors?  My target resolution is 1440P

If this laptop cannot do these, are there other gaming laptops that can reach 120hz or 144hz refresh rate and the G-Sync feature using an external monitor?

2.PNG

擷取.PNG

I was hoping for a Titan X (maxwell) or Titan X (pascal) in SLI by that name but hey it works

Even though a 1080 mobile will be slower than desktop but with 2 of them should be good. Why not get a computer built if you going to use external monitors?

Also at what resllution?

It looks like the laptop is a 60hz screen, normally unless it is advertised as a 120hz or 144hz screen it isn't. That being said the computer will run 144hz on an external monitor provided the monitor supports it because you have no problem getting 144hz with two 1080s with a capable screen.

If your price range is that high, I'd suggest https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP9873-S.html   with the adding customization of dual 1080s, it has a 1440p 120hz screen. It also has desktop grade 6700k instead of 6820hk.

CPU: I5-6600k | MOBO: MSI Z170-A XPOWER Gaming Titanium Edition | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO |RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 2800 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition | Case: MasterCase Pro 5 | Storage: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB, WD Blue 1 TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Display: Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p 144hz | Keyboard:Logitech G910 Orion Spark | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Headset: Logitech Artemis G933 | PcPP: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/sfgGjc

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

I was hoping for a Titan X (maxwell) or Titan X (pascal) in SLI by that name but hey it works

Even though a 1080 mobile will be slower than desktop but with 2 of them should be good. Why not get a computer built if you going to use external monitors?

Also at what resllution?

Because I travel to varies locations through out the year, so even though I want to build a PC, I have to build three if I want to keep gaming the whole year. My target resolution is 1440P

Just now, lin9406 said:

Because I travel to varies locations through out the year, so even though I want to build a PC, I have to build three if I want to keep gaming the whole year. My target resolution is 1440P

should be fine with 2 of them

5 minutes ago, lin9406 said:

You could run a gaming pc and then buy a fast ultrabook with a lower-end graphics card but a good CPU and ram like a Razer then use steam stream or nvidia stream, assuming you have internet connection when gaming and you can leave the computer alone and on somewhere.

CPU: I5-6600k | MOBO: MSI Z170-A XPOWER Gaming Titanium Edition | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO |RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 2800 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition | Case: MasterCase Pro 5 | Storage: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB, WD Blue 1 TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Display: Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p 144hz | Keyboard:Logitech G910 Orion Spark | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Headset: Logitech Artemis G933 | PcPP: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/sfgGjc

33 minutes ago, lin9406 said:

I have my eyes on the MSI GT83VR 6RF TITAN SLI, which has two GTX1080.

Its shit. Runs a 6290HQ. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

33 minutes ago, danwager11 said:

You could run a gaming pc and then buy a fast ultrabook with a lower-end graphics card but a good CPU and ram like a Razer then use steam stream or nvidia stream, assuming you have internet connection when gaming and you can leave the computer alone and on somewhere.

I checked out this option before, but I play competitive games mainly. So I need the latency be as little as possible. In addition, whenever I travel, I will be in another country, so the connection will not be stable I think 

41 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

should be fine with 2 of them

So the output of the laptop should be able to output 144hz @ 1440p? I did some research that said laptop's output is limited to 60hz regardless of the monitor or graphic card, but nothing is certin.

Just an FYI the new titan uses dual power supplies. I really wanted the first gen titan for the mechanical keyboard but the price set me off of it. The new one is even more expensive and uses two huge bricks to power the sucker. Keep that in mind when thinking about portability. 

1 minute ago, Psykomantis00 said:

Just an FYI the new titan uses dual power supplies. I really wanted the first gen titan for the mechanical keyboard but the price set me off of it. The new one is even more expensive and uses two huge bricks to power the sucker. Keep that in mind when thinking about portability. 

Well it's a 5 KG laptop, it is heavy, but I think I will prefer performance over portability.

3 minutes ago, lin9406 said:

Well it's a 5 KG laptop, it is heavy, but I think I will prefer performance over portability.

I get what you're saying, I just wanted you to be aware it takes two power supplies that are massive. The first gen only had one brick so it's easy to assume the same from the new one. If you get it please update this thread, I'd love to get your opinion once you have it. I've been looking at a used first gen titan gt80 for pretty cheap. 

1 minute ago, Psykomantis00 said:

I get what you're saying, I just wanted you to be aware it takes two power supplies that are massive. The first gen only had one brick so it's easy to assume the same from the new one. If you get it please update this thread, I'd love to get your opinion once you have it. I've been looking at a used first gen titan gt80 for pretty cheap. 

You got it!

Yeah. You can use an external 144Hz 1440p gsync screen. But its CPU is pretty weak so don't expect to hold 120fps+ in many new titles.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

15 hours ago, D2ultima said:

Yeah. You can use an external 144Hz 1440p gsync screen. But its CPU is pretty weak so don't expect to hold 120fps+ in many new titles.

Is it still weak if I enable turbo boost and make it 3.6GHZ?

4 hours ago, lin9406 said:

Is it still weak if I enable turbo boost and make it 3.6GHZ?

lol the fastest mobile skylake CPU under 4-core load (what your games would likely be using) is 3.4GHz. If you're talking about a 6820HK or 6820HQ, then the 4-core load is a pitiful 3.2GHz. The 6820HK with overclocking, at least to let's say... 4GHz, should be absolutely required if you want to play a bunch of games (especially new AAA ones) above 60fps.

And I don't know if the system will allow your CPU to pull the required amount of watts. I've been wanting to get someone who had one to test for me how it does handle that. MSI has been known for limiting their mobile CPUs to about 45W long power draw since their GT70 days with Haswell and the 780M. I don't know if they've since changed it, and if they have not, if a SVET BIOS unlock will allow a user to change it.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016/11/2 at 11:00 PM, Psykomantis00 said:

Hello I got the unit!

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

1 hour ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

hardly shit

3.4GHz 4-core load, terrible binning as far as voltages/heat/OCing is concerned, cannot pass 4GHz, and MSI is known to lock TDP on their CPUs for long power.

Compared to anything named "i7" on a desktop, it's shit.

4 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

hardly shit

When you're in a chassis running 2 1080s it's shit. If you put that running a 1060, sure that'll be fine. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

On 11/12/2016 at 6:19 AM, lin9406 said:

Hello I got the unit!

Nice. How do you like it? 

On 2016/11/18 at 9:11 AM, Psykomantis00 said:

Nice. How do you like it? 

I love it, but there are some cons too. The fans are quite loud under full load, tho when I game, the fans never really reach their full rpm. As you expect, two GTX1080 in a laptop will generate lots of heat, but still around 80 most of the time. The dual 330w powerbricks are so beefy, they are hard to manage if you care about cable management. The laptop is also heavy as hell. In my opinions the pros outweigh the cons a lot. The performance is just insane, The keyboard is honestly the best one in all of the laptops right now. Materials are very nice. The software are useful and easy to navigate