do you need to plug your OS drive to sata port 0 ?

my gigabyte z170x gaming 5 has 6 sata ports and all of then

sata 3

I didn't check where I need to plug my OS drive

do I need if all of the ports are sata 3 ?

I'm MARIA 23 years old Girl (Female) .

Christmas is all about hope , and that hope is NOT possible without JESUS king of kings . I love Christmas .

You can plug your OS drive into any of the sata ports. :)

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

nope it will work on any port.

If you were to have two drives plugged in, both with OS's, it would probably load the one closest to 0 first though.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

No, you can plug it into any of the ports, if you have more then one drive you can set the bios to load from a particular one first.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

any port will be fine :) 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

nope it will work on any port.

9 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Nope, any port will work fine.

9 hours ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

You can plug your OS drive into any of the sata ports. :)

but why for example on asus motherboard there is a sticker

OS here

why ?

I'm MARIA 23 years old Girl (Female) .

Christmas is all about hope , and that hope is NOT possible without JESUS king of kings . I love Christmas .

I will argue with those here. I've had MOBOs which would not boot from certain SATA ports. Generally they're colored a bit differently. After switching the port the drive worked fine for booting. 

Maybe just help to know what the sata ports are for xD Sorry for my english

1 minute ago, maria2244 said:

OS here

why ?

Because the bios is probably programmed to boot from that particular sata port first. You can change this of course, but that's probably the default. 

1 minute ago, maria2244 said:

OS here

why ?

because that's the order the BIOS searches for the bootable drive, from 0 and goes up

let's say you have two disk drives, one with Linux and one with Windows

if you put the Linux drive in front of the Windows drive, it will boot into Linux; unless you manually arrange the boor order from the BIOS

Just now, maria2244 said:

OS here

why ?

I have never looked close enough to see a sticker there. It might just be to illiminate confusion for people that might think that? I'm completely unsure lol. I am 100% sure you can put your OS drive in any sata port, and it will boot fine.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

2 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

If you were to have two drives plugged in, both with OS's, it would probably load the one closest to 0 first though.

If you haven't propperly selected boot options in your bios: yes. Otherwise, just change boot order from bios. No strange effects when booting from sata port 5. (or PCI-E sata raid card) Also, no real speed gain when plugging an HDD to sata2 port, since full bandwith won't be used.

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

I will argue with those here. I've had MOBOs which would not boot from certain SATA ports. Generally they're colored a bit differently. After switching the port the drive worked fine for booting. 

That's because that wasn't running of the chipset and was running off an additional Sata chip ;) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

That's because that wasn't running of the chipset and was running off an additional Sata chip ;) 

Good to know!

3 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

They let the drive communicate with the motherboard and thus the rest of the PC

I know that my fault.

6 minutes ago, maria2244 said:

OS here

why ?

I mean thats maybe just help for the people that build the pc :c