Possible 100% scaling with dual GPU?

Mr.Meerkat

So AMD has created a blog today show casing how in Deus Ex and DX12, you can get "up to" 100% scaling.

DXMD-DX12-mGPU.png

Up to 100% faster performance using Radeon Software Crimson Edition (RSCE) driver 16.10.2 running Deus Ex: Mankind Divided DirectX®12 on 8GB Radeon RX 480 multi-GPU than with 8GB Radeon RX 480 single-GPU.

Personally I find this quite interesting as AMD continues to push multiple GPUs solutions while Nvidia has basically given up on it with the dropped support of SLI in their xx60 cards and limited to dual GPUs support on their xx70 and 80 (and titan) cards.

We should probably take a massive grain of salt but at least they aren't lying with the 35FPS result with the RX480 ;).

Proof:

Spoiler

7xBlWN1.png

Source: http://radeon.com/en-us/deus-ex-directx-12-mgpu/?sf40634085=1 &  https://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/DX12-Multi-GPU-scaling-and-running-Deus-Ex-Mankind-Divided (watch the video, shows 100% scaling at 1440p like AMD states)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

While it's probably impossible to completely do away with the overhead of using multiple GPUs, I guess it's possible to reach the ideal scenario in which the actual scaling is close enough to 100% to be within the margin of error of these measurements. My understanding is that GPUs and their dirvers can't by themselves grant this, meaning the exact scaling you get will depend on the particular game you play. I wouldn't be surprised if Deus Ex works abnormally well with Crossfire.

And though the claim is for their latest cards, I never really benchmarked my dual GPU setup to see how well it scales, I only cared about being able to crank this or that setting up and get consistent 60FPS without added problems. Maybe I should, just to see in which range it lies.

Here is PCPer article

https://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/DX12-Multi-GPU-scaling-and-running-Deus-Ex-Mankind-Divided

They got 55 for 1 and 87 for 2 of them at 1080p Very High

In the video they show the same results as AMD 100% scaling at 1440p on Very High

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

12 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Snip

DX12 and Vulkan are designed to have much better multi GPU support, so I certainly believe you can get near 100% scaling in the right situations/games. and Nvidia hasn't given up on SLI... they just took out SLI on their lower end cards so that people wouldn't try SLI with lower end cards because its a waste of money (same with 3-way and 4-way SLI, waste of money). Also newer API's and technologies allow for the MDA/LDA setups which will phase out traditional SLI and Crossfire, so if you're interpreting recent events that Nvidia is giving up on SLI, that is because there is also something better coming along which will replace it as it is.

7 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

While it's probably impossible to completely do away with the overhead of using multiple GPUs, I guess it's possible to reach the ideal scenario in which the actual scaling is close enough to 100% to be within the margin of error of these measurements. My understanding is that GPUs and their dirvers can't by themselves grant this, meaning the exact scaling you get will depend on the particular game you play. I wouldn't be surprised if Deus Ex works abnormally well with Crossfire.

And though the claim is for their latest cards, I never really benchmarked my dual GPU setup to see how well it scales, I only cared about being able to crank this or that setting up and get consistent 60FPS without added problems. Maybe I should, just to see in which range it lies.

AMD's CFX has had better scaling than Nvidia's SLI recently so...meh? 

Maybe DX12 really can grant 98%+ scaling (AMD's already had 95% scaling in some DX11 titles) which in that case, it actually makes a bit more sense to go dual GPU :P 

6 minutes ago, elkenrod said:

Show me that performance in some quality titles and then we can start talking.

Hold on for a few months then :P 

We need more games that are full DX12 (and Deus Ex isn't really fully DX12 anyway :/)

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Yah, maybe but maybe it's something to do with it being tested at 1080p (with better scaling at 1440p? Has happened before...)

Just now, Zyndo said:

Snip

Hehehe, pcper's tests show zero improvements with dual 1060s :P 

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

If you would look at their video you will see it scales 100% at 1440p but not at 1080p. and AMD article states that.

7 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

AMD's CFX has had better scaling than Nvidia's SLI recently so...meh? 

Maybe DX12 really can grant 98%+ scaling (AMD's already had 95% scaling in some DX11 titles) which in that case, it actually makes a bit more sense to go dual GPU :P 

I'm not sure why you mention SLI, as I also have AMD cards, just 280+7950 instead of the latest. But I'm just curious what the scaling is with the latest driver, or with any driver really, because I've never measured it :P 

a 480 gets 20 FPS at 2160p and a 1080 gets 29 while the Titan XP gets 40. so if it can scale 100% again 2 480's would be faster then a single 1080 or on par to a Titan XP.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/deus-ex-mankind-divided-pc-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,9.html

Considering the horrendously poor performance / optimization of single cards in that game... it's probably entirely surprising. Whereas in most games a 2nd GPU only runs at 50%, in this game even the first GPU only runs at 50%! xD

Also, I think the 1060 not having SLI isn't because nVidia gave up on SLI, rather I think it's to prevent 1060 SLI combos from cannibalizing potential 1070, 1080 and future generation sales.

4 minutes ago, Jovidah said:

Also, I think the 1060 not having SLI isn't because nVidia gave up on SLI, rather I think it's to prevent 1060 SLI combos from cannibalizing potential 1070, 1080 and future generation sales.

mGPUs in DX12 do not work in SLI/CFX, they work in explicit multi-adapter

nVidia should release some drivers for the DX12 mGPU scaling

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I'm not sure why you mention SLI, as I also have AMD cards, just 280+7950 instead of the latest. But I'm just curious what the scaling is with the latest driver, or with any driver really, because I've never measured it :P 

Well I can't remember who did an article on it a few months back and it showed that in Dual GPU support games, AMD generally had better scaling than Nvidia did :P  (don't worry, even back in 2014 AMD got some games to scale at 95%~ ;)).

Just now, The Benjamins said:

a 480 gets 20 FPS at 2160p and a 1080 gets 29 while the Titan XP gets 40. so if it can scale 100% again 2 480's would be faster then a single 1080 or on par to a Titan XP.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/deus-ex-mankind-divided-pc-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,9.html

Yah, and if gloflo can manufacture the polaris 10 wafers to a higher quality then...maybe we can see 95watts RX480 in general :P (the "mobile" RX480 is rated at 95watts while being a full phat P10 like the desktop 480 and their embedded polaris 10's also being rated at 95watts)

Maybe AMD can finally live up to their promise of 1080 performance while consuming less power :P 

This also helps as well.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

I'd imagine nGreedia would rather force their customers into buying a high end card and find an excuse to not allow cross vendor multi-gpu potential in Dx12. 

Honestly, mixing different brands graphics cards sounds like a compatibility / driver nightmare to me. Good luck trying to optimize  that.

Actually what I would be most interested in is somehow unlocking the ability to use the iGPU on the CPU in tandem with the graphics card. Right now the iGPU is seen mostly seen as a useless afterthought by most gamers, but that would be a gamechanger.

2 hours ago, Jovidah said:

Honestly, mixing different brands graphics cards sounds like a compatibility / driver nightmare to me. Good luck trying to optimize  that.

Actually what I would be most interested in is somehow unlocking the ability to use the iGPU on the CPU in tandem with the graphics card. Right now the iGPU is seen mostly seen as a useless afterthought by most gamers, but that would be a gamechanger.

When the PCIe bus can support that much communication between the iGPU and dGPUs, it will be worth it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

6 minutes ago, ApolloFury said:

“Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear."

I really like for someone to explain how 102% mGPU scaling is actually possible

43 minutes ago, zMeul said:

“Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear."

I really like for someone to explain how 102% mGPU scaling is actually possible

margin of error

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

Just now, bbqsauce said:

margin of error

margin of error?!

if you like to talk margin of +/- error, then the difference could be greater than 102%

It mainly depends on the games and resolution you play at.

at 4K you should basicly see a pretty good scaling in games that are good optimized to work with crossfire or sli alike.

But if you play at lower res like 1440p then it realy depends from game to game.

Gpu demending games should be able to show a pretty nice scaling.

But there are also games in which the scaling will be garbage regardless of whatever api is used.

15 hours ago, zMeul said:

@LinusTech @Slick @Whaler_99

Can we have a "Misinformation" tag/upvote ??
Shit like what the poster above posted, which is taken out of context only to tarnish a brand due to personal vendetta is not helpful to other community members. Be it old or new.

@The Benjamins already showed and prooved that @zMeul was wrong. Yet the above poster keeps tarnishing this thread with his personal hatred.

38 minutes ago, Prysin said:

@LinusTech @Slick @Whaler_99

Can we have a "Misinformation" tag/upvote ??
Shit like what the poster above posted, which is taken out of context only to tarnish a brand due to personal vendetta is not helpful to other community members. Be it old or new.

@The Benjamins already showed and prooved that @zMeul was wrong. Yet the above poster keeps tarnishing this thread with his personal hatred.

That is a form of downvoting and I'm pretty sure it would be heavily missused. 

That and people thinking they are right branding the real corrct answers as wrong. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.