i4 4770k Custom Watercooling Temps

5 hours ago, Theo said:

If i decide to delid which im really considering since the vice method seems extremely easy ill probably go straight naked mount kit 

I will remount the block tomorrow and ill comment here again. I am guessing i might not have put enough tim.
Thanks again for replies. 

that isn't a bad idea although there is some extra risk/trouble running naked.  Like @Thx and Bye said, there are some possible issues like losing ram channels, spotty boot issues, complete no-boot issues and the increased chance of bending pins.  

If you are careful and follow the directions, you shouldn't have any issues going straight naked.  Most of the issues I've seen others encounter have been from under tightening the block or using too much liquid metal TIM (it only take a TINY bit and it must be spread out to a thin layer!). The naked kit directions say specifically to tighten it all the way down and I have personally found even a single turn less can cause issues.  

ALSO they do have delidding tools now which are pretty much fool proof.  Because SOMETHING about sticking an i7 in a vice still doesn't seem right xD

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

9 hours ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

that isn't a bad idea although there is some extra risk/trouble running naked.  Like @Thx and Bye said, there are some possible issues like losing ram channels, spotty boot issues, complete no-boot issues and the increased chance of bending pins.  

If you are careful and follow the directions, you shouldn't have any issues going straight naked.  Most of the issues I've seen others encounter have been from under tightening the block or using too much liquid metal TIM (it only take a TINY bit and it must be spread out to a thin layer!). The naked kit directions say specifically to tighten it all the way down and I have personally found even a single turn less can cause issues.  

ALSO they do have delidding tools now which are pretty much fool proof.  Because SOMETHING about sticking an i7 in a vice still doesn't seem right xD

Yeah i saw that you must spread the liquid metal. And if i decide to delid and naked dye ill trust in EK to prevent my cpu from being completely crushed lol.

As for sticking an I7 in a vice, it seems so counter intuitive its great lol 

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

@W-L @0ld_Chicken

I just remounted the block, used different tim and the temps are the same so could it just be the bad tim in the IHS?

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

1 minute ago, Theo said:

@W-L @0ld_Chicken

I just remounted the block, used different tim and the temps are the same so could it just be the bad tim in the IHS?

Before you go too much further, make sure that your block isn't partially obstructed by any capacitors or anything touching the EK CPU water block as you attempt to install the water block.

@Simon771 had an issues with his z97 board where a few of the capacitors where so close to the edge of the base plate on his water block that it caused uneven contact between the IHS and the water block base.  He ended up shaving just a bit of material from the base plate, which resulted in a perfect contact.

22 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Before you go too much further, make sure that your block isn't partially obstructed by any capacitors or anything touching the EK CPU water block as you attempt to install the water block.

@Simon771 had an issues with his z97 board where a few of the capacitors where so close to the edge of the base plate on his water block that it caused uneven contact between the IHS and the water block base.  He ended up shaving just a bit of material from the base plate, which resulted in a perfect contact.

Yap, that's true :)

Before that my temps would spike right up to 100°C and PC would crash. Since I fixed that, temps don't go above 80°C and PC never crashes. Not ideal, but it lowered my temps by 20°C and PC is stable now.

Maybe I will delidd that CPU after 2,5 years when there won't be any warranty xD 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

25 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

nothing obstructing the way here. I might just delid

4 hours ago, Theo said:

nothing obstructing the way here. I might just delid

I forgot to mention to check for caps and such. Definitely a good idea.  

If they're all clear then the only other thing I could think of would be if your block's internals got rotated 90° and the microchannels are no longer perpindicular to the inserts opening.  I'm assuming you're using an Evo/MX since you mentioned an Ek block. You should be able to see a small part of each channel through the insert, opposed to seeing most of a few of the channels.  If you've never disassembled the block then it should be fine but I'd check before delidding

Edit: I'd think that your temps would be worse if that were the case though

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

45 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

I forgot to mention to check for caps and such. Definitely a good idea.  

If they're all clear then the only other thing I could think of would be if your block's internals got rotated 90° and the microchannels are no longer perpindicular to the inserts opening.  I'm assuming you're using an Evo/MX since you mentioned an Ek block. You should be able to see a small part of each channel through the insert, opposed to seeing most of a few of the channels.  If you've never disassembled the block then it should be fine but I'd check before delidding

Edit: I'd think that your temps would be worse if that were the case though

Yeah its an EVO block, i got a black top so i cant see inside and i use the correct IN and OUT port.

Ill see how the temps go when playing cpu intensive games or programs but delidding will probably happen once the warranty runs out 

On 10/31/2016 at 3:27 PM, Theo said:

My setup is: a 360mm and 280mm, 60mm thick rads and the fans are running at 600rpm

The 4770k has a small OC to 4.2GHz at 1.123v and the gpu is a 980ti but it doesnt really matter here.

While running Aida64/OCCT the CPU gets to around 70C  (no gpu load) and for all that rad space that looks a bit high. Even if i reset my OC, the cpu still gets to 60c. 

This is normal or do i need to reapply thermal paste or something else?

Try increasing the rpm of your fans to cool the fluid better before you do anything drastic because 600rpm is pretty low.

@Theo I use Hardwarelabs Black ICe SR2 Radiators  too. Always @800RPM. I have two i7-6700k. One of them is delidded. It makes maybe 5-7°C difference if you delid under full load. 

my temps are

Room Temp 21°C, Fans @800RPM

WATER-Temp Idle 23°C

WATER-Temp Load 35°C

CPU-Temp Idle 20°C (not delidded)

CPU-Temp Load 55°C @4800Mhz

GPU-Temp Idle 25°C

GPU-Temp Load 40°C @2100Mhz

Room Temp 30°C, Fans @800RPM

WATER-Temp Idle 30°C

WATER-Temp Load 38°C

CPU-Temp Idle 28°C (not delidded)

CPU-Temp Load 65°C-70°C @4600Mhz

GPU-Temp Idle 30°C

GPU-Temp Load 45°C @2100Mhz

What is the temperature of water? What is the temperature of the room? If you have 30°C room temp, then it is normal. Water can not be colder than room temp.

Use a good thermal paste like thermal grizzly and remount it again. 

6 hours ago, CapedCrusader21 said:

Try increasing the rpm of your fans to cool the fluid better before you do anything drastic because 600rpm is pretty low.

I have increased them and it made no difference to cpu temps, it makes a difference to gpu but no cpu

3 hours ago, SmashinMachine said:

@Theo I use Hardwarelabs Black ICe SR2 Radiators  too. Always @800RPM. I have two i7-6700k. One of them is delidded. It makes maybe 5-7°C difference if you delid under full load. 

my temps are

Room Temp 21°C, Fans @800RPM

WATER-Temp Idle 23°C

WATER-Temp Load 35°C

CPU-Temp Idle 20°C (not delidded)

CPU-Temp Load 55°C @4800Mhz

GPU-Temp Idle 25°C

GPU-Temp Load 40°C @2100Mhz

Room Temp 30°C, Fans @800RPM

WATER-Temp Idle 30°C

WATER-Temp Load 38°C

CPU-Temp Idle 28°C (not delidded)

CPU-Temp Load 65°C-70°C @4600Mhz

GPU-Temp Idle 30°C

GPU-Temp Load 45°C @2100Mhz

What is the temperature of water? What is the temperature of the room? If you have 30°C room temp, then it is normal. Water can not be colder than room temp.

Use a good thermal paste like thermal grizzly and remount it again. 

If i delid ill get a bigger difference cause haswell. Room is always 20c and as for water temp, i dont have a sensor yet, but if the gpu is around 26c,  the water temp should be lower than that.

17 minutes ago, Theo said:

I have increased them and it made no difference to cpu temps, it makes a difference to gpu but no cpu

If i delid ill get a bigger difference cause haswell. Room is always 20c and as for water temp, i dont have a sensor yet, but if the gpu is arodund 26c,  the water temp should be lower than that.

I don't recommend to delid. do it if it  is your last way out. 

Those temps are perfectly normal if you don't have a delidded chip. My liquid cooled 1.32v 4770k hits 65-70c in Witcher 3 with sub 40c liquid temp, which is why I'll be delidding this chip like every Haswell I've ever owned. So far I've just been too lazy to do so, but soon I'll re-do my entire loop so I won't have any excuses not to do it any more.

The TIM between the IHS and the CPU die isn't good but it isn't exactly horrible either. The problem is usually just bad contact. Delid the chip, get rid of the epoxy glue or whatever the gunk is they use to glue the IHS to the chip and then use liquid metal TIM between the IHS and the die, and be amazed by the temps you get. Delidding, when done right, is easy, safe and definitely worthwhile - especially with Haswell chips.

Liquid cooling since 2002.

I totaly agree with @unholy_walrus just change the stock TIM between IHS and Die with some liquid metal and then mount the block with something like NT-H1 like you normaly would.
Of couse bare die will give you some better temps, but even just from transporting you could crack your die if you don't have something like a die-guard or are very careful.
I forgot to mention that with my bare die cooling attempt I also used this frame, but that didn't stop one RAM channel to stop working due to bad contact.

Just make sure when mounting the cpu in the vice that you mount it without the PCB having contact to the vice. At first I didn't pay attention to that but luckily I got away with a scratch on the pcb where it didn't matter. (that also was my first dielid attempt)
But the vice method is pretty easy and well documented on the net. And I don't think that something like this is worth the money if you don't delid on a regular basis.

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-