MSI GT80S Titan Laptop Questions

I just got myself a MSI GT80S Titan Laptop, I know its not the greatest in the whole world but it definitely is enough for me for right now. I allows me to game on it and also is enough that I can run my CAD programs for school courses, etc. I ended up having to sell my brand new rig that I loved very dearly but I am very broke at the moment so the only way I could afford to get a laptop that had the performance of this Titan I had to sell the new rig. I bought the laptop and put the rest of the money towards college costs, etc. Now that I have the laptop though I have a couple questions that hopefully someone can help me out with.

1) One of the frustrating thing is that the Power cord constantly likes to fall out if I move the computer around, is there a solution I can use with this? even if its a DIY type thing. I would like anything hehe.

2) What are the best overclocking settings for this bad boy?

3) Does anyone know if a good quality yet affordable Laptop Backpack for this large computer? the overall width is about 18" by about 13", so its quite large in the laptop backpack catergory. Everything im finding is over $100, im looking for something hopefully under 40, but between 40 and 65$ (US)

and I am sure there is definitely things I cant remember but I will ask them when I remember them lol.

Thanks,

rich

1) not sure, sorry
2) all cpus and gpus overclock different, it comes down to silicone lottery, best to find out for yourself by starting low, than trying a clock/voltage thats too high and frying them.

3) also not sure

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I really wanted one of those, how do you like it? Is it a pain in the ass to lug around? I'm considering getting a used gt80s or the new razer blade 14 or the new razer blade pro but the pro is just so much money. I could buy two new razer blade 14's for the price of one pro. 

15 hours ago, Psykomantis00 said:

I really wanted one of those, how do you like it? Is it a pain in the ass to lug around? I'm considering getting a used gt80s or the new razer blade 14 or the new razer blade pro but the pro is just so much money. I could buy two new razer blade 14's for the price of one pro. 

I really like mine. I am not on the go to much but I don't see a problem with carrying it around if I find a decent backpack for it. They are larger and heavier than the razor blades tho, so if you are looking for something lighter than the razer are the way to go for sure, plus it's not touchscreen if that's important to you which I am pretty sure the razer blades are touchscreen. I personally love the nice large 18.4" screen on mine though.

If I could afford it I would have gotten THIS, but I really needed a nice powerful machine to run CAD, etc. on for school and I got a deal on my Titan I couldn't pass up. I would have gave up the extra 4.5" of screen for lightweight, touchscreen and the 1060.

20 hours ago, UneekConcepts said:

I just got myself a MSI GT80S Titan Laptop, I know its not the greatest in the whole world but it definitely is enough for me for right now. I allows me to game on it and also is enough that I can run my CAD programs for school courses, etc. I ended up having to sell my brand new rig that I loved very dearly but I am very broke at the moment so the only way I could afford to get a laptop that had the performance of this Titan I had to sell the new rig. I bought the laptop and put the rest of the money towards college costs, etc. Now that I have the laptop though I have a couple questions that hopefully someone can help me out with.

1) One of the frustrating thing is that the Power cord constantly likes to fall out if I move the computer around, is there a solution I can use with this? even if its a DIY type thing. I would like anything hehe.

2) What are the best overclocking settings for this bad boy?

3) Does anyone know if a good quality yet affordable Laptop Backpack for this large computer? the overall width is about 18" by about 13", so its quite large in the laptop backpack catergory. Everything im finding is over $100, im looking for something hopefully under 40, but between 40 and 65$ (US)

and I am sure there is definitely things I cant remember but I will ask them when I remember them lol.

Thanks,

rich

That's not a good choice. Have to get it out of the way. Not that buying a high performance notebook is so awful, but this notebook specifically is the issue.

1 - I have no idea how to fix that. But it shouldn't be "falling out".

2 - What are the specs? I need the CPU and GPUs.

3 - You won't find anything so good for $40-$60 USD.

15 hours ago, Psykomantis00 said:

The GT80 isn't a great notebook. Especially the 980 SLI model. Terrible. It would be a pain to lug around for the most part, but heavier laptops and a good backpack are manage-able unless you're pretty weak. I would avoid both a used GT80 AND all Razer notebooks ever. The Blade notebooks are all garbage, and the Pascal models are all beyond garbage. They basically EXIST in constant throttle status while gaming.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

10 hours ago, D2ultima said:

That's not a good choice. Have to get it out of the way. Not that buying a high performance notebook is so awful, but this notebook specifically is the issue.

1 - I have no idea how to fix that. But it shouldn't be "falling out".

2 - What are the specs? I need the CPU and GPUs.

3 - You won't find anything so good for $40-$60 USD.

The GT80 isn't a great notebook. Especially the 980 SLI model. Terrible. It would be a pain to lug around for the most part, but heavier laptops and a good backpack are manage-able unless you're pretty weak. I would avoid both a used GT80 AND all Razer notebooks ever. The Blade notebooks are all garbage, and the Pascal models are all beyond garbage. They basically EXIST in constant throttle status while gaming.

Have you owned either? I always hear how this would be too big and heavy or how razer is shit but 90% of the time it's be people that have never owned the product. The titan is going to be heavy, but it's a monster. I would rather have the blade but I'm stuck in this mentallity that I'm not going to like the Titan because it's too big and heavy or I'm going to get the blade and it's going to break and not be warrantied. I've never owned an MSI product other than my current motherboard, but I have owned lots of razer stuff. I had a really bad experience with the Razer edge tablet thing and still remember that so I'm holding out on getting the razer blade. If I'm completely honest I want the blade pro but the price is just crazy. I still might get it but at that point I could get the brand new titan but the new titan has two power supplies so I just think it's silly. All I want is a decently powerful laptop that I can play Rainbow Six Siege on. I've checked out all the laptops out currently and I just think the blade 14 and the titan gt80 are my two best options. The titan would replace my desktop easily and would fit me better I think. The blade is just so nice and portable though, just couldn't compete with my desktop. I don't travel much but when I do I'm stuck without any games to play so I think a laptop is the answer, just don't know which one. I've looked at MSI's super light razer blade competitor and it looks okay but the blade just looks much nicer. 

15 minutes ago, Psykomantis00 said:

Have you owned either? I always hear how this would be too big and heavy or how razer is shit but 90% of the time it's be people that have never owned the product. The titan is going to be heavy, but it's a monster. I would rather have the blade but I'm stuck in this mentallity that I'm not going to like the Titan because it's too big and heavy or I'm going to get the blade and it's going to break and not be warrantied. I've never owned an MSI product other than my current motherboard, but I have owned lots of razer stuff. I had a really bad experience with the Razer edge tablet thing and still remember that so I'm holding out on getting the razer blade. If I'm completely honest I want the blade pro but the price is just crazy. I still might get it but at that point I could get the brand new titan but the new titan has two power supplies so I just think it's silly. All I want is a decently powerful laptop that I can play Rainbow Six Siege on. I've checked out all the laptops out currently and I just think the blade 14 and the titan gt80 are my two best options. The titan would replace my desktop easily and would fit me better I think. The blade is just so nice and portable though, just couldn't compete with my desktop. I don't travel much but when I do I'm stuck without any games to play so I think a laptop is the answer, just don't know which one. I've looked at MSI's super light razer blade competitor and it looks okay but the blade just looks much nicer. 

I've never touched a single Razer machine or a GT80, but I know more about both models than over half the owners. I've had a Clevo D900F, which is about as big as the GT80 is, so I do have experience from lugging around 13 pounds of laptop & power brick, as well as peripherals.

What do you want to exactly know?

I have seen evidence of the Razer machines sitting at thermal throttle in relatively undemanding/non-hot titles. I'm talking 70fps Overwatch with the GPU sitting flat at 93c. I play OW at 120fps and I don't crack maybe 72c on my main card, and never on my slave, in similar (but worse) ambient temps to the Blade 14's situation. I know the GTX 1080, and I know for a god damn fact that Razer can't cool it. They just added a vapor chamber contact point and kept the crappy cooling solution otherwise that they already had, which throttles the *FAR* cooler 970M models. Do you want to know what can barely cool a 1080? This:

Y5pv1P0.jpg

Razer isn't breaking the laws of physics, and their stuff is still overpriced. They're pairing it with a 6700HQ, and 2133MHz 15-15-15-35 SOLDERED RAM. You cannot change that RAM out. And that RAM is shit. And the 6700HQ is 3.1GHz 4-core load turbo boost; it's also shit, all things considered. It's not enough; it's a very bad match even if the machine DID handle its cooling well.

The reason I bash the GT80 Titan is because it had a board power draw limit of 330W and it *NEVER* went above this. Even for spikes. The excess power it would inevitably need? It would draw from the BATTERY. Yeah. Overclock 980M SLI or use (yes, I said USE) 980 SLI at stock and play for a few hours in a demanding game? Your battery drains straight to 0 and your system throttles. Is the system physically capable of plugging in 2 x 330W bricks? Certainly. Will it use any more than 330W of delivered power, even with an unlocked system BIOS? Nope! Hence, waste of cash. The P870DM from a Prema shop would be much better (and cheaper, with a better, non-soldered CPU). Because of this, and its price, and lack of upgrade-ability even though part of its high price point was that MSI touted its upgrade-ability? I cannot recommend any form of the GT80 to anyone. It is a bad purchase. There's no other way to look at it.

As for the GT83VR? I don't know. I haven't seen or heard enough of it, however its price tag is still massive and it still uses a soldered mobile CPU. I don't know if it can handle the DDR4 3000MHz sticks that really should be paired with it, and I don't think it has a gsync screen, and I don't think it has 120Hz panels coming either (due to the screen being 18.4" in size). Therefore, I am not wild about recommending it. The GT73VR with a single 1080? I am quicker able to recommend that. The picture above is from a Clevo P775DM3, with a 6700K and 1080 in it. It is not, without aftermarket modding, capable of running the system at full bore easily without rather high heat. The potential is there, but unless I see a Prema partner shop selling it with those modifications as a choice to pay for (HIDevolution is one shop that does most of it, but it's about $132 USD for the process), I am currently more in tune with the idea of the GT73VR and 1080 with a 6820HK as a good option. You'll need to overclock the CPU though; and that I can't just "help" you with.

If you really want a lighter, but strong machine, I would direct you to either the Clevo P670RS, or the MSI GS73VR. The GS73VR comes with a 120Hz panel at least in some configurations, even though it's not a very good one (honestly I don't think any of them really are unfortunately; not anymore), but that's a decent selling point over the P670RS. The P670RS on the other hand can use a 6820HK and 1070 with a decent overclock on each part without too much trouble, especially if liquid ultra thermal paste is used on the CPU. But it only has 60Hz panels and you really would want a Prema mod on it (of which none are currently available, though they should be in a month or two). It also hold the benefit of being capable of switching between Optimus (for battery life) and dGPU mode (for no problem gaming and gsync etc). I also believe it can physically hold one or two of the 120Hz panels, but you would have to add them aftermarket. I have not seen anyone willing to try as yet, so I cannot definitely say "yes" or "no". But it's a potential option.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

1 hour ago, D2ultima said:

I've never touched a single Razer machine or a GT80, but I know more about both models than over half the owners. I've had a Clevo D900F, which is about as big as the GT80 is, so I do have experience from lugging around 13 pounds of laptop & power brick, as well as peripherals.

What do you want to exactly know?

I have seen evidence of the Razer machines sitting at thermal throttle in relatively undemanding/non-hot titles. I'm talking 70fps Overwatch with the GPU sitting flat at 93c. I play OW at 120fps and I don't crack maybe 72c on my main card, and never on my slave, in similar (but worse) ambient temps to the Blade 14's situation. I know the GTX 1080, and I know for a god damn fact that Razer can't cool it. They just added a vapor chamber contact point and kept the crappy cooling solution otherwise that they already had, which throttles the *FAR* cooler 970M models. Do you want to know what can barely cool a 1080? This:

Y5pv1P0.jpg

Razer isn't breaking the laws of physics, and their stuff is still overpriced. They're pairing it with a 6700HQ, and 2133MHz 15-15-15-35 SOLDERED RAM. You cannot change that RAM out. And that RAM is shit. And the 6700HQ is 3.1GHz 4-core load turbo boost; it's also shit, all things considered. It's not enough; it's a very bad match even if the machine DID handle its cooling well.

The reason I bash the GT80 Titan is because it had a board power draw limit of 330W and it *NEVER* went above this. Even for spikes. The excess power it would inevitably need? It would draw from the BATTERY. Yeah. Overclock 980M SLI or use (yes, I said USE) 980 SLI at stock and play for a few hours in a demanding game? Your battery drains straight to 0 and your system throttles. Is the system physically capable of plugging in 2 x 330W bricks? Certainly. Will it use any more than 330W of delivered power, even with an unlocked system BIOS? Nope! Hence, waste of cash. The P870DM from a Prema shop would be much better (and cheaper, with a better, non-soldered CPU). Because of this, and its price, and lack of upgrade-ability even though part of its high price point was that MSI touted its upgrade-ability? I cannot recommend any form of the GT80 to anyone. It is a bad purchase. There's no other way to look at it.

As for the GT83VR? I don't know. I haven't seen or heard enough of it, however its price tag is still massive and it still uses a soldered mobile CPU. I don't know if it can handle the DDR4 3000MHz sticks that really should be paired with it, and I don't think it has a gsync screen, and I don't think it has 120Hz panels coming either (due to the screen being 18.4" in size). Therefore, I am not wild about recommending it. The GT73VR with a single 1080? I am quicker able to recommend that. The picture above is from a Clevo P775DM3, with a 6700K and 1080 in it. It is not, without aftermarket modding, capable of running the system at full bore easily without rather high heat. The potential is there, but unless I see a Prema partner shop selling it with those modifications as a choice to pay for (HIDevolution is one shop that does most of it, but it's about $132 USD for the process), I am currently more in tune with the idea of the GT73VR and 1080 with a 6820HK as a good option. You'll need to overclock the CPU though; and that I can't just "help" you with.

If you really want a lighter, but strong machine, I would direct you to either the Clevo P670RS, or the MSI GS73VR. The GS73VR comes with a 120Hz panel at least in some configurations, even though it's not a very good one (honestly I don't think any of them really are unfortunately; not anymore), but that's a decent selling point over the P670RS. The P670RS on the other hand can use a 6820HK and 1070 with a decent overclock on each part without too much trouble, especially if liquid ultra thermal paste is used on the CPU. But it only has 60Hz panels and you really would want a Prema mod on it (of which none are currently available, though they should be in a month or two). It also hold the benefit of being capable of switching between Optimus (for battery life) and dGPU mode (for no problem gaming and gsync etc). I also believe it can physically hold one or two of the 120Hz panels, but you would have to add them aftermarket. I have not seen anyone willing to try as yet, so I cannot definitely say "yes" or "no". But it's a potential option.

Thanks for the input. I still don't know what I want but the more I think about it the less I want either of those two machines. I was looking at the GS73vr but the 1060 seems weak to me. I'll have to check it out in store sometime. I'll look at the clevo, looks like a pretty good price for the hardware. 

1 minute ago, Psykomantis00 said:

Thanks for the input. I still don't know what I want but the more I think about it the less I want either of those two machines. I was looking at the GS73vr but the 1060 seems weak to me. I'll have to check it out in store sometime. I'll look at the clevo, looks like a pretty good price for the hardware. 

6700HQ and 1060 is decidedly midranged right now. So in about a year or so, it'll not be decidedly midranged. Probably less. I suggest www.hidevolution.com if you want the Clevo. They'll get you up to speed with a Prema mod once they're launched.