Who is the winner?

Moose_e

RX 470 GDDR5 4GB or EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5?

Which graphic card will perform the best?
Which GPU would you pick over another? 

RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 RX 470 

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

I love how all your topics are posted in varying fonts and sizes

thank you <3

Without a doubt the 1060

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

1 minute ago, Moose_e said:

okie dokie, thank you

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The GTX 1060 is about 20% faster than the RX 470.

You need to step up to the RX 480 to match the 1060 in terms of performance.

2 minutes ago, Brandonsr said:

Without a doubt the 1060

4 minutes ago, AleyG said:

1060 of course?!

Except for the fact that 4GBs of VRAM is the minimum nowadays. 3GB just doesn't cut it anymore.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Except for the fact that 4GBs of VRAM is the minimum nowadays. 3GB just doesn't cut it anymore.

it will in some games

3 minutes ago, Moose_e said:

it will in some games

Some, not all. You can choose to have like 5-15 more FPS in some games but stutter badly (1060 3GB) in others or have less FPS overall but no stuttering in any games (470 4GB).

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

6 minutes ago, Moose_e said:

it will in some games

I recently just installed the EVGA GTX1060 3gb SC in a build for someone and it performs very well somewhere between 970 and 980 performance the 6gb 1060 performs slightly better than the 980 due to the extra cuda cores and Vram it has over the 3gb version as for the RX 470 I don't know how that performs as I haven't had experience in using that card. 

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

10 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

What does that even mean? At the end of the day what matters is performance, and we can easily look at benchmarks and see that the 1060 performs better despite the lower amount of VRAM. Looking at VRAM to determine performance is like looking at cache size to determine CPU performance.

Also, correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the current memory compression used in GPUs also increase the amount of info you can store in VRAM (on top of increasing bandwidth)? Because if it does, then 1GB of VRAM on an Nvidia GPU can contain quite a bit more info than 1GB of VRAM on an AMD GPU (because of Nvidia's better memory compression).

I might be wrong though, and the memory compression is only used to increase bandwidth.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

What does that even mean? At the end of the day what matters is performance, and we can easily look at benchmarks and see that the 1060 performs better despite the lower amount of VRAM. Looking at VRAM to determine performance is like looking at cache size to determine CPU performance.

Also, correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the current memory compression used in GPUs also increase the amount of info you can store in VRAM (on top of increasing bandwidth)? Because if it does, then 1GB of VRAM on an Nvidia GPU can contain quite a bit more info than 1GB of VRAM on an AMD GPU (because of Nvidia's better memory compression).

I like nvidia

4 minutes ago, Moose_e said:

I like nvidia

The GTX1060 3gb is a good card if you don't plan on playing AAA titles maxing out the settings then it's a great card for mid to high settings and won't show any issue with Vram however if you do want to be able to crank the settings up I would recommend taking a look at the larger 6gb version. 

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

1 minute ago, PeggersXtreme said:

The GTX1060 3gb is a good card if you don't plan on playing AAA titles maxing out the settings then it's a great card for mid to high settings and won't show any issue with Vram however if you do want to be able to crank the settings up I would recommend taking a look at the larger 6gb version. 

I don't play a lot of heavy games. I mostly play CS:GO, Battlefield 3, GTA V and league of legends.

I watched youtube benchmark for GTA V with the 3gb and it ran smoothly at high to very high settings getting minimal of 60 fps, so I guess that Battlefield 3, CS:GO and league of legends will run 300+ fps. Well not BF3 not 300+

Just now, Moose_e said:

I don't play a lot of heavy games. I mostly play CS:GO, Battlefield 3, GTA V and league of legends.

I watched youtube benchmark for GTA V with the 3gb and it ran smoothly at high to very high settings getting minimal of 60 fps, so I guess that Battlefield 3, CS:GO and league of legends will run 300+ fps. Well not BF3 not 300+

You should be fine then GTA V was one of the games I tested on the build I built for someone and it played very well they were the same they play a lot of games like Rocket League, CS:GO, Fifa and Battlefield the lighter games if you want to call them that lol  It also stays very cool so thats a bonus as well :) 

Custom PC:

1 minute ago, PeggersXtreme said:

You should be fine then GTA V was one of the games I tested on the build I built for someone and it played very well they were the same they play a lot of games like Rocket League, CS:GO, Fifa and Battlefield the lighter games if you want to call them that lol  It also stays very cool so thats a bonus as well :) 

my current build has an Asus GTX 950 Strix edition where the fans turn on once the GPU reaches its point

27 minutes ago, Moose_e said:

my current build has an Asus GTX 950 Strix edition where the fans turn on once the GPU reaches its point

A 1060 will be a massive difference I can't remember if the 1060 does that no fan spin thing it may do I know my 1080 fans don't spin up till the card hits a certain temperature made me kind of nervous lol that the card is gonna overheat but i'm use to it now. Selected 1060's probably do the same thing I know the Strix version of the 1060 doesn't spin up it's fans at idle. 

Custom PC: