No boot with more than 1 CPU core enabled..

Hi guys,

So I'm a bit demoralised at the moment... after a three week long project, I finally finished my watercooling loop with hardline tubing. I leak tested the PC for over a day, in addition to a few hours of testing with the PC on and stressed to ensure no leaks would emerge when the coolant heated up. No leaks so that was all good.

PC was running amazingly, hitting mid 40s (GPU+CPU) under load. While testing BF1, windows decides to reset and install some updates. While updating I walk away from the PC to make dinner, I come back and now the PC won't boot... 

Basically it gets stuck when trying to load windows. The screen stalls after the option to load bios with the ASUS logo displayed, and I get either code Ad or F6. I swap out the RAM, turn off XMP, CMOS reset, qcode Ad. I tried booting from a windows boot disk, even when removing my m.2 so only left with my SATA, same error. Linux boot disk - qcode Ad. Then I try memtest, and the boot failed when testing multiprocessing, so I go back to BIOS and disable HT, and all but one CPU core, and BAM, memtest boots, and windows boots...

Right now I am tearing my hair out trying to figure out why nothing will boot when any more than one core is active. Thing is, it doesn't matter which core is active, as long as it is only one, which leads me to think it may not be the CPU...

I am going to try completely wiping BIOS, updating BIOS, and then reseating the CPU. Does anyone have any advice on what could be causing this? 

I just don't understand how this has happened when none of the cores on the CPU were going above 45, the mosfets are cooled by the same block and they looked good too... how can a windows update cause such a ridiculous boot issue?

P.S system specs:

Asus deluxe II
i7 6850k running STOCK
64GB Trident Z 3200MhZ 14-14-14-16
Samsung 950 pro 512GB
Titan X Pascal
Corsair RM1000i

Water cooling:
EK Asus x99 monoblock
EK Titan XP full block + backplate
EK XE 360 + 3 x 3000RPM EK vardar push intake
Black ice nemesis 240 GTS + 2 x 3000 RPM EK Caesar pull exhaust
EK XRES 140 PWM D5

Could you please use normal formatting? It would make reading that bunch of text so much easier...

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Are you able to boot into safe mode with more than 1 core?

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

I'm not sure it's the Windows update that caused the problem, just happened to coincide with it. Aside from updating the BIOS, I'd recommend pulling your CPU and checking the pins on the motherboard to be sure there aren't any bent/shorted out. Also, you didn't mention what PSU you're using; I assume with a custom water setup and a Titan XP you've got something beefy enough to handle all that, but just to be sure, have you tried re-seating the power cables, paying special attention to the 4x4 CPU power?

5 hours ago, Runefox said:

I'm not sure it's the Windows update that caused the problem, just happened to coincide with it. Aside from updating the BIOS, I'd recommend pulling your CPU and checking the pins on the motherboard to be sure there aren't any bent/shorted out. Also, you didn't mention what PSU you're using; I assume with a custom water setup and a Titan XP you've got something beefy enough to handle all that, but just to be sure, have you tried re-seating the power cables, paying special attention to the 4x4 CPU power?

I'm using a 1000rmi, will double check the power cables too...

On 29/10/2016 at 3:37 PM, Runefox said:

Thing is if this were pins, surely it would've been an issue from the beginning?

On 29/10/2016 at 0:42 PM, Litargirio said:

Are you able to boot into safe mode with more than 1 core?

I'll try this...

11 minutes ago, shonik09 said:

Thing is if this were pins, surely it would've been an issue from the beginning?

Depends. Heating and cooling of metal can cause warping, so if there were a pin that was marginal at first... I'll admit it's not the most likely issue, but for a new build to be doing this, it's also not too far-fetched. Going along with the Safe Mode idea, try reinstalling Windows and seeing if it'll boot with all cores enabled then, too. By any chance, did you install AI Suite or anything like that?

3 minutes ago, Runefox said:

Depends. Heating and cooling of metal can cause warping, so if there were a pin that was marginal at first... I'll admit it's not the most likely issue, but for a new build to be doing this, it's also not too far-fetched. Going along with the Safe Mode idea, try reinstalling Windows and seeing if it'll boot with all cores enabled then, too. By any chance, did you install AI Suite or anything like that?

Yeah I did have AI suite installed. Thing is I can't boot into the windows boot disk with all cores enabled either, so don't think reinstalling windows will be able to fix it... It was working for about 12 hours before this happened, but will double check the pins just incase.

2 minutes ago, shonik09 said:

Yeah I did have AI suite installed. Thing is I can't boot into the windows boot disk with all cores enabled either, so don't think reinstalling windows will be able to fix it... It was working for about 12 hours before this happened, but will double check the pins just incase.

If the pins are fine, my suggestion from here would be to disable SpeedStep / C-states as well as Turbo to see if that makes a difference, or to bump the CPU's vcore voltage slightly.

I've already tried disabling Turbo and SpeedStep to no avail, but will give C-states a go too. Could bumping the core voltage really be necessary given I am running the chip stock?

2 minutes ago, shonik09 said:

I've already tried disabling Turbo and SpeedStep to no avail, but will give C-states a go too. Could bumping the core voltage really be necessary given I am running the chip stock?

It shouldn't be necessary, but it might help narrow down whether it's a problem with the CPU / motherboard VRM's. Check in the monitor section of your BIOS to see what the vcore is displaying as just to be sure it's actually giving the CPU what it says it's giving it.

5 minutes ago, Runefox said:

It shouldn't be necessary, but it might help narrow down whether it's a problem with the CPU / motherboard VRM's. Check in the monitor section of your BIOS to see what the vcore is displaying as just to be sure it's actually giving the CPU what it says it's giving it.

Do you think its possible the motherboard VRMs burnt out? Would it be possible to boot at all if this had happened though?

Just now, shonik09 said:

Do you think its possible the motherboard VRMs burnt out? Would it be possible to boot at all if this had happened though?

Not burnt out exactly, it's more common for them to be faulty / not outputting enough voltage. If you get any joy out of the extra voltage, then chances are it's a hardware issue with either the CPU or the motherboard. If not, then I'm about ready to call it for the CPU. Got a different board or CPU you could test with to be sure?

Just now, Runefox said:

Not burnt out exactly, it's more common for them to be faulty / not outputting enough voltage. If you get any joy out of the extra voltage, then chances are it's a hardware issue with either the CPU or the motherboard. If not, then I'm about ready to call it for the CPU. Got a different board or CPU you could test with to be sure?

Unfortunately not.. 

So I reseated the CPU - no bent pins on the mobo. Thermal paste looked a bit sketchy though so this time I just used therma grizzly krynoauts suggested method and actually spread the paste. Computer is up and running again normally, but I'm a bit paranoid this may happen again. For now things look good though, honestly temps look slightly better than before... 

Also, is it possible to bend LGA-2011v3 pins by putting pressure on the CPU block? While pushing piping into the CPU block I heard a click. It could've easily been another component, but am paranoid I may have bent a pin this time, even though everything looks OK...

41 minutes ago, shonik09 said:

Also, is it possible to bend LGA-2011v3 pins by putting pressure on the CPU block?

No.

47 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

No.

Yeah I didn't think so either, as I figure the socket cover pretty much makes it impossible. So basically you can only bend pins while installing the CPU itself? That's a relief :)

Well, hopefully it'll stay working. At least if it fails again I know it's prob the paste and CPU block being too tight more than anything else.. Thanks for the help!

7 hours ago, shonik09 said:

Btw thought id add some pics of my build :)

<snip>

That is a beautiful build. I'm really sorry things went south but I'm also really glad it was an easy fix. Enjoy!

50 minutes ago, Runefox said:

That is a beautiful build. I'm really sorry things went south but I'm also really glad it was an easy fix. Enjoy!

Haha cheers, yeah I was relieved to say the least when it worked after that. Just praying it doesn't happen again, will prob only be comfortable after a week of testing now. Either way happy nothing was actually fried.

I would have done the piping outside of the case.

Did you take any antistatic measures? While building and managing your rig?

10 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I would have done the piping outside of the case.

Did you take any antistatic measures? While building and managing your rig?

It was too much of a bitch to connect the piping outside of the case, especially since it's hard tubing. Yeah I have an anti static mat and wrist piece. Computer is working now anyways so defo didn't short anything.

33 minutes ago, shonik09 said:

It was too much of a bitch to connect the piping outside of the case, especially since it's hard tubing. Yeah I have an anti static mat and wrist piece. Computer is working now anyways so defo didn't short anything.

I understand it can be tough sometimes. I just wanted to check on the ESD. Some people believe it will either work or not work with ESD. It can fluctuate  it doesn't have to die instantly.

Glad it's working! Maybe playing around with the wires fixed whatever was wrong?