Looking for headphone amp for ps4 and pc

lukky211111

so as the title says im looking for a headphone amp to replace my shitting smsl sd793ii and i just returned the micca origen + because i have windows 10 and i couldnt get the driver for the usb to work at all and i didnt feel like screwing around with it. i want to have the ability to switch with just the push of a button from my ps4 audio to my pc audio and not have any issues and id like to be compact enough so that i can mount it under my desk. thank you. EDIT: my budget is around $300 i live in the united states. hope that helps.

askdjfasdf

1 hour ago, lukky211111 said:

shitting smsl sd793ii

What's wrong with the SMSL?

You could pretty easily get a Schiit Uber stack, which would be right on budget for you. That way you would have all the input options on the DAC (USB from your PC, and Optical from your PS4) and you could use the magni for your headphones (it could easily power any headphones that you're likely to have) and the RCA pre outs on the back mean that you could plug it into powered speakers, or a power amp if you wanted speakers to work.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Just now, KaminKevCrew said:

What's wrong with the SMSL?

You could pretty easily get a Schiit Uber stack, which would be right on budget for you. That way you would have all the input options on the DAC (USB from your PC, and Optical from your PS4) and you could use the magni for your headphones (it could easily power any headphones that you're likely to have) and the RCA pre outs on the back mean that you could plug it into powered speakers, or a power amp if you wanted speakers to work.

the smsl has issues with both channels working and this is withg both pairs of my headphones you gotta wack it to make it work sometimes....and ive looked at schiits stuff and ive hear lots of good things only thing i worry about is mounting them under my desk i dont want them to overheat or anything and do they require any drivers?

askdjfasdf

3 minutes ago, lukky211111 said:

the smsl has issues with both channels working and this is withg both pairs of my headphones you gotta wack it to make it work sometimes....and ive looked at schiits stuff and ive hear lots of good things only thing i worry about is mounting them under my desk i dont want them to overheat or anything and do they require any drivers?

They are driverless. As for overheating, as long as you have an inch or so above the Magni, you'd be fine for cooling. It's not like they get as hot as a PC or anything. (Source for that: I've owned them both.)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

They are driverless. As for overheating, as long as you have an inch or so above the Magni, you'd be fine for cooling. It's not like they get as hot as a PC or anything. (Source for that: I've owned them both.)

yeah i know that they dont get extremely hot i just remember the magni having the  lil hole vents on top so now i gotta figure out a way to mount that to my desk xD i was also checking into the fostex hp a3 and z reviews did a pretty nice review on it as well any comments youd like to add about that?

askdjfasdf

Just now, lukky211111 said:

yeah i know that they dont get extremely hot i just remember the magni having the  lil hole vents on top so now i gotta figure out a way to mount that to my desk xD i was also checking into the fostex hp a3 and z reviews did a pretty nice review on it as well any comments youd like to add about that?

I've never owned it, nor have I ever done any real research about it. As such, I can't really comment. Couldn't you just put the magni on the top of your desk?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I've never owned it, nor have I ever done any real research about it. As such, I can't really comment. Couldn't you just put the magni on the top of your desk?

im an extreme i need open desk space kinda freak about that cuz cables and cable management xD i think ill figure out a way to mount it but have it have enough room to stay cool just in case have you ever used the modi on a ps4?

askdjfasdf

5 minutes ago, lukky211111 said:

im an extreme i need open desk space kinda freak about that cuz cables and cable management xD i think ill figure out a way to mount it but have it have enough room to stay cool just in case have you ever used the modi on a ps4?

I've never even used a PS4. That being said, optical has pretty much nothing to do with anything, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

1 minute ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I've never even used a PS4. That being said, optical has pretty much nothing to do with anything, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

well the optical on the micca worked with the ps4 so i imagine thisll be just fine thnaks for your help dude im not sure where i heard it from but ive heard somewhere that schiits amp has broken peoples headphones before?

askdjfasdf

1 hour ago, KaminKevCrew said:

but yeah thank you! im gonna grab a magni 2 and a modi 2 uber and im also gonna be grabbing some k7xx off massdrop here pretty soon as well! thank you again dude!

askdjfasdf

55 minutes ago, lukky211111 said:

but yeah thank you! im gonna grab a magni 2 and a modi 2 uber and im also gonna be grabbing some k7xx off massdrop here pretty soon as well! thank you again dude!

No problem! Glad I could help!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

3 hours ago, lukky211111 said:

well the optical on the micca worked with the ps4 so i imagine thisll be just fine thnaks for your help dude im not sure where i heard it from but ive heard somewhere that schiits amp has broken peoples headphones before?

You possibly could with cheap headphones or iems and turning volume knob up all the way. But at safe listening levels, you will be fine. Same for any other amp.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

3 hours ago, lukky211111 said:

didn't see this. Basically, that would be due to people turning the volume up too loud when they weren't paying attention. The amps that Schiit makes are fairly powerful, so just make sure you turn the volume all the way down before plugging in a pair of in ears, if you had headphones in it before. Stuff like that. Basically, just don't turn them all the way up if you have a pair of headphones that can't take it.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

23 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

didn't see this. Basically, that would be due to people turning the volume up too loud when they weren't paying attention. The amps that Schiit makes are fairly powerful, so just make sure you turn the volume all the way down before plugging in a pair of in ears, if you had headphones in it before. Stuff like that. Basically, just don't turn them all the way up if you have a pair of headphones that can't take it.

how do i know how far i can push my headphones with an amp? im guessing not past a point of where it becomes uncomfortable?

askdjfasdf

Headphones generally won't fail before it REALLY hurts your ears. They'll get loud enough to permanently damage your hearing before you'll break them. Also, the drivers will typically start to distort the sound in a noticeable way before the headphone will break. Basically, just don't plug them in with the volume already cranked all the way up.

Hey! New SIgnature!