Samsung To Put DDR4 4266 in a Phone

patrickjp93

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-rolls-out-industrys-first-8gb-lpddr4-dram-package

A single 8GB LPDDR4 BGA package running at 4266mbps per pin (x64) has been developed by Samsung and will be deployed on next-gen mobile platforms. The package will be made using Samsung's 10nm process.

This is beyond stupid imho, but hey, who needs battery life, right?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

why? what's the use and possible benefit from this?

Sorry, but samsung, you are nuts to do this, first your daughter company that did the batteries screwed up* and now you do this? is there anything going to happen that does make sense?

*only a small part of samsung, but their mobile division actually stated to never use batteries again from their own daughter company, which is pretty bad for the companies image.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-rolls-out-industrys-first-8gb-lpddr4-dram-package

A single 8GB BGA package running at 4266mbps per pin (x64) has been developed by Samsung and will be deployed on next-gen mobile platforms. The package will be made using Samsung's 10nm process.

Why increase power consumption efficiency when you can just stuff more highly volatile energy storage mass? Just a simply circuit should keep the chemistry form over-reacting right?

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

Call me the voice of not reason, but I personally think this makes total sense. More so than dumping ever more ram at the phone.

In fact, I'd even suggest if not for the speed increase, they would want to be running dual channel already.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

26 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

A single 8GB LPDDR4 BGA package running at 4266mbps per pin (x64) has been developed by Samsung and will be deployed on next-gen mobile platforms. The package will be made using Samsung's 10nm process.

aha! they are planning to run AVX on the phone...

28 minutes ago, Prysin said:

aha! they are planning to run AVX on the phone...

>:(

37 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Call me the voice of not reason, but I personally think this makes total sense. More so than dumping ever more ram at the phone.

In fact, I'd even suggest if not for the speed increase, they would want to be running dual channel already.

WHY?! That is more bandwidth than a number of midrange PCs! Phones do not do anything requiring that kind of bandwidth!

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

12 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

WHY?! That is more bandwidth than a number of midrange PCs! Phones do not do anything requiring that kind of bandwidth!

dual channel ram is forcefully utilized on literally every laptop intel provides the cpu for (by contrast a huge limitation of carrizo was it's slow single channel ram implementation).

As phone gpu's get more and more powerful with each passing generation (often at 30-50% a generation), it is only logical that ram bandwidth has to follow suit.

BTW last gen S7 ran with 28.8 GB/s ram bandwidth, this package is only 34 GB/s. Not that big of a jump at all.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

This is so pointless, Samsung as well as other Android manufacturers already can't use all of their RAM because of the over aggressive power management, which prohibits high RAM usage. I would rather have use be able to use more RAM than just have it faster, which also takes more power. 

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

have you even TRIED to play fruitninja at insano mode? even on a cocktail of Red-Bull, cocaine and amphetamine you'd struggle to keep up!

you need that bandwidth to display all teh fruit

Also, my oh my you're up late

But, why?

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

39 minutes ago, Centurius said:

But, why?

Low power DDR4 uses even less power than low power DDR3, even less power if it's done at 10nm. So even though the speed is high (over 4ghz), battery required for it could end up using the same as current gen dram or even less. All graphical and gpu accelerated applications will benefit highly of the high speed ram, just as they do on a modern desktop GPU. Want to improve games? want to improve visuals? want to increase resolution? want to be able to use the phone as a PC conected to a monitor/TV using usb type C? want to be able to have much improved calculations using acceleration? want high fps video playback? You could use all that memory bandwidth for that. 

I guess we may see this in S8 I kinda expect it since new beefy GPU it will have and along 4K display.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

DDR4 requires less power and the additional bandwidth will be useful for the GPU (the latter of which always lacking in bandwidth on mobile platforms). Why is this not a win again? 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

7 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

dual channel ram is forcefully utilized on literally every laptop intel provides the cpu for (by contrast a huge limitation of carrizo was it's slow single channel ram implementation).

As phone gpu's get more and more powerful with each passing generation (often at 30-50% a generation), it is only logical that ram bandwidth has to follow suit.

BTW last gen S7 ran with 28.8 GB/s ram bandwidth, this package is only 34 GB/s. Not that big of a jump at all.

3D games on phones are so pointless, 2D don't need the bandwidth, and it's not like you can do real VR on them without an eGPU...

7 hours ago, Prysin said:

have you even TRIED to play fruitninja at insano mode? even on a cocktail of Red-Bull, cocaine and amphetamine you'd struggle to keep up!

you need that bandwidth to display all teh fruit

Also, my oh my you're up late

That wasn't late. That was about midnight.

10 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

3D games on phones are so pointless

So everything that is not a platformer is pointless on a phone. I'm sorry what?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

12 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

3D games on phones are so pointless, 2D don't need the bandwidth, and it's not like you can do real VR on them without an eGPU...

I mean, tell that to the Nintendo NX (I have little doubt that in a few years flagship phone GPU's will be similar to the tegra gpu).

But I'm just pointing out it makes sense for Samsung to push it either way, and it isn't even a revolutionary increase (The S6 had 17% less memory bandwidth than the S7, this new chip has 18% more bandwidth than the S7).

Rudimentary native support for tessellation was actually a big deal from ARM's perspective last gpu Mali Midgard generation. 3D mobile gaming is coming.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

10 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

This is so stupid............... Just use 2133MHz

Ah my brain hurts thinking about this :(.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

People, its more performance on something that already consumes less than the most energy conservative washing machine on standby for a week! (Yeah okay, i dont know any washing machine on standby, you got the point!). It would barely affect battery life and weve clearly seen that resolution of smartphone displays isnt as impactful as it used to be.

Groomlake Authority

13 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

People, its more performance on something that already consumes less than the most energy conservative washing machine on standby for a week! (Yeah okay, i dont know any washing machine on standby, you got the point!). It would barely affect battery life and weve clearly seen that resolution of smartphone displays isnt as impactful as it used to be.

Screens still consume the most power on any device period. Laptop, phone or tablet. You name it, the screen consumes the most power.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

-snip-

What i meant was, the 1080p vs 1440p no longer is as valid as it used to be. We see 1080p phones with 3000 mAh get outperformed by phones with 1440p displays with also 3000 mAh, without referencing any models. Its not like this ram kit will be as impactful as the rest of the package inside the phone :l

Groomlake Authority

10 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

This has been so for years now on virtually all of the specs. There's little reason to update and thus their phones get explosively gimmicky.

-------

Current Rig

-------

perhaps they are trying to discover another way of setting fire?

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch