Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rx 470 frame stuttering?!

Go to solution Solved by timh1995,

Eh. I'm done trying with this thing. Nothing I do works. Its still in return period so I'm returning it and getting a gtx 1060 from pny. I don't know if its just amd slacking or MSI slacking or what but I'm gonna give nvidia a try. Haven't bought any of there stuff in a while

So I got my fiance a MSI rx470 8gb and its a great card...in some games. On some games it plays fine and dandy but then some games it stutters every 30 seconds or so. They are not new games that require a lot of GPU power so I know its not pushing the GPU too hard because she was playing these games fine on an r9 270x. Anyone have any idea what's causing the frame stuttering?

What are the rest of the specs of his PC?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Motherboard Tier LIst

PC Troubleshooting

PSU Tier List

You don't need a big PSU

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 512GB SSD - 16GB DDR4 - I lost my pen so I convince myself I don't need it

"Sometimes I just buy computer hardware with no practical use for it, maybe I'm weird"

-Galileo Galilei, 1604

we need a bit more info. is it oc? power limit? what cpu? how are the temps?

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

OK should've thought if that. I have 16 gigs of ripjaws ddr3 with an i7 4770 on a z97 motherboard. Temps never go over 70°c on the CPU or GPU. The GPU is in oc mode through the MSI program but it happens even when it isn't in oc mode. The CPU isn't ocd at all. Neither is the ram.

14 minutes ago, DrM said:

we need a bit more info. is it oc? power limit? what cpu? how are the temps?

14 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

What are the rest of the specs of his PC?

OK should've thought if that. I have 16 gigs of ripjaws ddr3 with an i7 4770 on a z97 motherboard. Temps never go over 70°c on the CPU or GPU. The GPU is in oc mode through the MSI program but it happens even when it isn't in oc mode. The CPU isn't ocd at all. Neither is the ram.

drivers up to date 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Geil EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

Camera Gear: Canon SL2, 60D, T5, 24-105 F, 50mm F1.4, 75-300 III, rokinon 25 T1.5, Helios44-m, Sony FS700R, 2 Cos-11D lavs

May I ask what games you are playing and at what resolution and settings? 

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

10 minutes ago, Carlos1010 said:

May I ask what games you are playing and at what resolution and settings? 

11 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

drivers up to date 

Just updated drivers yesterday to most current and still happening. Games like resident evil, 7 days to die, GTA v have it happen. One game that it doesn't happen at all is dead by daylight and I don't think I've seen it happen on any battlefield game. All games maxed out at 1080p. We have also tried turning down settings in these games but it still happens with lowered settings.

Windows up to date?

What power supply are you using?

Did you do a fresh install of the Radeon drivers when you installed the new card?

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5

47 minutes ago, Zangashtu said:

Windows up to date?

What power supply are you using?

Did you do a fresh install of the Radeon drivers when you installed the new card?

Yes. Most up to date radeon driver. 550 watt cooler master PSU and windows 7 is up to date. No current updates through windows update available.

Use DDU to wipe old drivers before you install new ones.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 hour ago, ivan134 said:

Use DDU to wipe old drivers before you install new ones.

So you think I should completely remove the current drivers and reinstall them?

40 minutes ago, timh1995 said:

Yup, with DDU

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

25 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Yup, with DDU

Alright just got off work so gonna try it.

And just make sure that the temp target and max and Wattman arent' set too low or that the fan speeds aren't overly restricted.

CPU: i7 4770K  |  Corsair H80i  |  ASUS Z87-Pro  |  8GB Corsair 1866Mhz  |  GPU: MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB  |  Corsair HX  750

Eh. I'm done trying with this thing. Nothing I do works. Its still in return period so I'm returning it and getting a gtx 1060 from pny. I don't know if its just amd slacking or MSI slacking or what but I'm gonna give nvidia a try. Haven't bought any of there stuff in a while

10 hours ago, timh1995 said:

This is what I was going to suggest hence my question but I got beaten to it :P

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5

1 minute ago, Jorgen297 said:

is that a dragon ball

No....

Just now, Jorgen297 said:

yes it is lol 

It is indeeeed :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2016 at 9:44 PM, timh1995 said:

For anybody else coming from Google, I had the same issues with the RX 470 Red Devil. I lowered the power limit in Global Wattman until it stopped stuttering and switched the clockspeed to dynamic. Also turn power efficiency off in global settings.

Maybe these OC cards are trying to take too much power from the mobo, IDK.

2 hours ago, slymeasy said:

For anybody else coming from Google, I had the same issues with the RX 470 Red Devil. I lowered the power limit in Global Wattman until it stopped stuttering and switched the clockspeed to dynamic. Maybe these OC cards are trying to take too much power from the mobo, IDK.

The motherboard can't limit it, they do consume more power than they should by the specification but its not setting on fire or at least melting plastic or crashing its unlikely power.

What is more likely is the usual thing, AMD has a history with stutter/microstutter issues and of late we have been seeing a lot of reports in certain games on Polaris. I would simply call it a driver issue, a fairly common one for AMD unfortunately. Its highly unlikely its all games, just 1 or 2 the OP is trying to play right now. If you play something a bit older and mainstream and still well benchmarked it'll probably run as its meant to.

On 11/1/2016 at 6:16 AM, BrightCandle said:

The motherboard can't limit it, they do consume more power than they should by the specification but its not setting on fire or at least melting plastic or crashing its unlikely power.

What is more likely is the usual thing, AMD has a history with stutter/microstutter issues and of late we have been seeing a lot of reports in certain games on Polaris. I would simply call it a driver issue, a fairly common one for AMD unfortunately. Its highly unlikely its all games, just 1 or 2 the OP is trying to play right now. If you play something a bit older and mainstream and still well benchmarked it'll probably run as its meant to.

Update:

@BrightCandle was right here. The stuttering came back and I found that it's a variety of issues that were causing a bottleneck.

This is what I did:

- Excluded all game folders from my anti-virus. My anti-virus scans all files as they are opened.

- Used Razer Game Booster to suspend a lot of resource hog services in Windows 10

- Placed the stuttering games on the SSD.

The SSD alone didn't change a thing, but only after doing all of those different steps did the stuttering stop. Now I occasionally will hit a bottleneck with the CPU, but it's not the consistent stuttering that I experienced before.