The first device that can use gigabit LTE is launching this year, also Qualcomm announces 5G modem.

blaze756

Qualcomm, along with Netgear, Ericsson, and Australian carrier Telstra, is announcing the first product to support gigabit LTE, a mobile hotspot. As an Australian I am proud to say we have some of the worst (fixed line) internet in a developed country, however surprisingly we actually have pretty good 4G speeds (the best I've gotten is around 200 mbps) and I'm glad to see the ISPs actually continue to invest in upcoming technologies. Now all they have to do is give me fibre and I'll be happy!

Of course, while gigabit wireless speeds sound incredible, you likely won’t see them in the real world. Qualcomm’s Sherif Hanna says that in the company’s simulated testing environments, average speeds ranged from 112 to 307Mbps, with a peak of 533Mbps. While that’s not quite a full gigabit, it’s notably faster than most people see on current devices.

Qualcomm also announced its first 5G compatible modem to be launched sometime in 2018. It'll supposedly offer up to 5 Gbps transfer speeds. Sounds like it should be good.

The Snapdragon X50 is expected to be available in 2018 and will support speeds up to 5Gbps. It uses the 28GHz millimeter wave band and makes use of beam forming and beam tracking technologies to hit those speeds.

OP: http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/10/17/13306814/qualcomm-gigabit-5g-x16-x50-modem

http://fortune.com/2016/10/17/qualcomm-speed-up-4g-5g-wireless/

3245255470_aa1995f2df_b.0.jpg

And suddenly the sales of stylish tinfoil hats skyrocket!

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

Why does anyone actually need gigabit LTE? 4G LTE is already faster than most internet connections.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

1 minute ago, Daveeede said:

Why does anyone actually need gigabit LTE? 4G LTE is already faster than most internet connections.

I think it's more of a "Because we can." kind of scenario. But if it offers more reliable signal than that's always a benefit.

3 minutes ago, Daveeede said:

No, but it means there's more total bandwidth to go around to more people, assuming they're also upping the number of connections as well.

21 minutes ago, Daveeede said:

Nobody needed a 1TB hard drive 10 years ago, but now it's the norm. Accept the fact that technology is going to continue moving forward whether the upgrade is inline with other technologies or not.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

This is pretty great. Now I can hit my monthly data cap in less than a minute and a half. Awesome job. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

26 minutes ago, Suika said:

Nobody needed a 1TB hard drive 10 years ago, but now it's the norm. Accept the fact that technology is going to continue moving forward whether the upgrade is inline with other technologies or not.

I probably could have used one 10 years ago.

3 hours ago, Daveeede said:

Why does anyone actually need a 1GHz processor? 500MHz is already faster than most people need.

640K ought to be enough for anybody.

100GB hard drives are so ridiculous. Nobody will need that much storage.

"Why make X when Y is all we need" is one of the most stupid and short sighted things you can say when it comes to technology.

19 hours ago, Suika said:

i think its a pretty fair point. most data consumed on phones are streams and display stuff, the displays are not going to get a whole load more advanced i assume because we already are unable to differentiate pixels on the small phone screens we have. yes we will need it eventually but i doubt we will need it in 10 years. (unless its for mobile hotspots or something like that).

Don't care about this shit at all, having 4G and it can't even be with it's top speeds everywhere, though it fast enough for pretty much everything. Main reason not caring would be mobile data caps that are ridiculous beyond compare. And expensive. Until data caps get increased significantly more doubt anyone would care, at all. 

What I care is optic infrastructure expansion.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

It'll be interesting to see who wins this modem war. AT&T and several Asian telecoms are backing Intel's new 5G tech (IDF 2016, Murthy Rudichintala keynote).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

20 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Why does anyone actually need a 1GHz processor? 500MHz is already faster than most people need.

640K ought to be enough for anybody.

100GB hard drives are so ridiculous. Nobody will need that much storage.

"Why make X when Y is all we need" is one of the most stupid and short sighted things you can say when it comes to technology.

It was dumb back then because no one understood how adding more computation could benefit mankind. Beyond-1440p resolution on phones is stupid, plain and simple. Data demands on phones will hit a ceiling very soon, and 4G LTE throughput is far from used up. MIMO tech will handle the band contention where applicable.

Phones will not become laptop and desktop replacements. There's not enough screen real estate to be productive, and making screens bigger makes them impossible to fit in a pocket.

It is not so unwise today to say the edges of the map are being filled in for some products and technologies.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

On 10/18/2016 at 10:24 AM, Daveeede said:

Uhm, future proofing perhaps? How about a wider band LTE which means more bandwidth between the phone and the nearest cell tower resulting to more stable connection? Remember that standard giving bodies criticized early days of LTE as more of a 3.9G rather than being true 4G. And lastly, why not. In early 2000s I think, business investors called the idea of cellular data for phones to be silly as if calling and texting isn't enough. No one questions that anymore.

This talk of 5G reminded me of the Sprint Spark which uses carrier aggregation  to achieve near 1 Gbps speed. I don't know if they have truly achieved it.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside