Corsair Rm 750 or Evga Supernova Nex750g

carnage_5150

Hey, everybody! I just registered to Linus Tech Tips. I am in a bit of a bind. I can't decide on which PSU I should get. I am wanting it to be fully modular and it to be 750w. I have 2 that I have picked so far and I can't decide on which one I should get. Either the Corsair Rm 750 or Evga Supernova Nex750g. I have read good things and not so good of things on both. Right now, Amazon is having a sale on the Evga for just $99. The Corsair is priced at $129. Help or advice would be greatly appreciated!  :lol:

Firstly, welcome :)

I would go for the EVGA one, you save $30, that's a lot of money and you probably won't run into any problem going for either.

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

i would get the rm series (worth the extra money) , the cables are flat on the rm and makes everything look nice :D

and the fan doesnt kick on until it gets too warm

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

Corsair all the way

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

The majority of the hardware I own is Corsair. The only thing that was bothering me was the fact that they used the Ltec caps. And from what I have read, they don't have a very good reputation. And yes, the flat cables would be very nice to have, indeed

That's a big price difference between two good power supplies. If you like that $30 savings and/or on a budget for your build, go for that. Personally I like the RM series, though. For silence and cosmetic reasons.

The RM has shitty CapXxon caps for the secondaries. I would buy a Seasonic in the price range, or a nice FSP. Even a Channel Well (Corsair CX Series).

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

From a performance standpoint, the RM is indeed superior (DC-DC regulated vs group-regulated on the EVGA). It also superior due to it's optimization for silence as well. On the other hand, the NEX750G does offer better caps choice (Nippon Chemi-Con vs LTec / Luminous town on the RM750). It's optimization for silence can be considered as a flaw too, as the fan doesn't spin up until 60%+ load which can be worrisome with the cap choice it has.

The EVGA also have a 10 year warranty if that's something you would like and it would effectively cost $79.99 if you take advantage of the Mail-in-Rebate. Personally, it probably go with the NEX750G, the Rosewill Capstone 750-M if it doesn't need to be fully modular, or the XFX ProSeries 750w Black Edition over the RM.

What are you powering?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 1 month later...

What are you powering?

2 months later, I still haven't pulled the trigger on either of them ha ha. I am powering a single GTX 680, i-5 2500k,and a Evga z68 SLI mobo. Along with 7 Corsair SP and AF fans. I have a Corsair TX 750 right now, but I am wanting to get rid of all of the cables that I am not using. I have watched Videos from Linus and Logan a.k.a Tek Syndicate ( Which uses the RM 850 in his personal build ) and they recommend them. But with all the negativity towards the caps on the RM 750, has anyone had any problems? I mean Corsair does back them with a 5 year warranty. 

2 months later, I still haven't pulled the trigger on either of them ha ha. I am powering a single GTX 680, i-5 2500k,and a Evga z68 SLI mobo. Along with 7 Corsair SP and AF fans. I have a Corsair TX 750 right now, but I am wanting to get rid of all of the cables that I am not using. I have watched Videos from Linus and Logan a.k.a Tek Syndicate ( Which uses the RM 850 in his personal build ) and they recommend them. But with all the negativity towards the caps on the RM 750, has anyone had any problems? I mean Corsair does back them with a 5 year warranty. 

The RM has bad caps for a high end psu. The thing is that it isn't a high end psu and is more of an entry to enthusiast level psu.

If you just want ribbon cables, I'd take a look at the Rosewill Hive series.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Seasonic X series also has flat black cables. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Are you planning on powering the 680 in SLI or upgrading to a multi-GPU setup in the future? If not, you can power that system on a quality 550w (in fact, I'm powering same system, minus the fans and a different mobo, on a Rosewill Capstone 450w. lol

The concern with the cap choice isn't an immediate concern. If you get a RM750, chances are, you won't see any issues with it. It's a well-performing PSU that is very quiet. Well, the first revision did had issues with potential heat problems on the RM750/850, but that should have been fix with the revision made after October 19, 2013 I believe (the 41st week of 2013 and back was the ones that had these issues).

The concern is more about longetivity which brought forth many discussions regarding it, which I'm growing tired talking about, but Corsair is fairly confident that it will outlast it warranty.

Personally, I would rather just go with a higher quality power supply in the first place. I don't find the the RM series to be well price.

If you want an alternative, it would be helpful to know where are you able buy from, and what is your budget.

Seasonic X series also has flat black cables.

And so is the Platinum series.

If you regard my facts as wrong, feel free to rectify it.

——————————————————————————

If you regard my opinions as wrong, feel free to ignore it.

The Seasonic X KM3 design also uses flat black cables, as well as the 2nd gen Platinum series (which is also based on the KM3 design). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102

Ah, I see, thanks for the correction, edited my post.

If you regard my facts as wrong, feel free to rectify it.

——————————————————————————

If you regard my opinions as wrong, feel free to ignore it.