Monitor does not detect signal after installing new GPU

R3-Flex

i switched my Geforce 9400 GT for Sapphire Raedon RX 460 2GB a few days ago. 

installed the new GPU and connected it with DVI-D cable. But monitor receives no signal. GPU fans were spinning.

replaced new GPU with old one which uses VGA ; display works.

what is going on ?

some things to keep in mind are :

1) GPU has no external power supply slots , i triple checked.

2) I have a 450 Watt PSU , the GPU needs 400 minimum.

3) The DVI-D Port on my old monitor has not been used for 6 YEARS , i think that it may have been broken by dust/rust.

4) No beeps from the Mobo when i start PC , it just says no display signal.

SPECS :

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50 GHz

Intel DG43GT

Nvidia Geforce 9400 GT (old gpu)

450 Watt crappy PSU

2 x 2GB DDR2 RAM

Windows 7 64-bit

500GB HDD Samsung.

Help !

I haven't experienced this but I suspect it could be your drivers. Uninstall the old video drivers and install new ones for your specific card, perhaps on the amd/Radeon website (just google it).

I'd also suggest looking online for tutorials for installing new video drivers because I haven't had to go through that so I don't know if there are any major problems you may run into.

59 minutes ago, R3-Flex said:

Just recently had an R9 280X stop working for no apparent reason. The latest driver update for it bricked it for some reason. Had to pull a GTX 680 from another computer and remove/reinstall an older version of the AMD drivers. It now works just fine once more. The 280X responded exactly how your RX460 is responding: fans spin up, no monitor signal, etc.

The secondary option of the port on the monitor being faulty is possible too, but even damaged ports will generally cause the screen to flicker or have noticeably different effects.. If the port is completely broken though, it could cause the same effect. Is there another display you can test the card on, or a way you can test the DVI port on your monitor?

I had the same problem with my current GTX 1080.

What I did was to first uninstall all old Drivers with DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). 

Then I made sure the integrated graphics chip was working while the new GPU is plugged in. 

Then while the new GPU is plugged it, but the iGPU of my 6700k runs the monitor, I installed the new graphics driver. 

Then it worked. 

Instead of using integrated graphics, you can also use your old GPU. 

15 hours ago, smittywits said:

Just recently had an R9 280X stop working for no apparent reason. The latest driver update for it bricked it for some reason. Had to pull a GTX 680 from another computer and remove/reinstall an older version of the AMD drivers. It now works just fine once more. The 280X responded exactly how your RX460 is responding: fans spin up, no monitor signal, etc.

The secondary option of the port on the monitor being faulty is possible too, but even damaged ports will generally cause the screen to flicker or have noticeably different effects.. If the port is completely broken though, it could cause the same effect. Is there another display you can test the card on, or a way you can test the DVI port on your monitor?

i thought about DVI port of the monitor breaking up due to rusting, so i ordered some HDMI cables and DVI to VGA converters , i'll test them on my LCD TV and monitor , i hope to god my GPU isn't the problem here.

15 hours ago, organ_pleasin said:

I haven't experienced this but I suspect it could be your drivers. Uninstall the old video drivers and install new ones for your specific card, perhaps on the amd/Radeon website (just google it).

I'd also suggest looking online for tutorials for installing new video drivers because I haven't had to go through that so I don't know if there are any major problems you may run into.

i installed a fresh WIN7 64 bit before installing the new GPU. i dont know if you can install drivers for the GPU before you physically install it .