Earbud Jack broke on laptop?!

LukeS

So I have never heard of this until now. Apparently my year-old laptop's headphone jack broke? I haven't really ever used it, but I have started some prerecorded school sessions, and headphones get annoying. So I tried plugging in my earbuds. They didn't work (yes, I configured to "line in", then "headphones in", then "skull candy headphones in", and it didn't work still). All I get is loud, annoying white noise. I cannot think of any reason why this should be broken, but it is. Is there a way to do a debug on the slot to make sure it isn't the sound card/drivers or anything?

Thanks in advance,

-LukeS

I_M_3rd

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

well, to start, are you certain it isn't the headphones?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

well, to start, are you certain it isn't the headphones?

Hello, thank-you for your fast response. I meant to put in that I have tried using 3 different earbuds and a pair of headphones that were AUX/the plug. They did not work and got the same white noise.

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

1 minute ago, LukeS said:

Hello, thank-you for your fast response. I meant to put in that I have tried using 3 different earbuds and a pair of headphones that were AUX/the plug. They did not work and got the same white noise.

well it probably is a hardware issue but you could theoretically rule that out by firing up another OS, like an Ubuntu Live USB

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

In addition to what Ryan said, you could also try using a USB port if you happen to have any USB headphones or adapters around.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

11 minutes ago, Railgun said:

In addition to what Ryan said, you could also try using a USB port if you happen to have any USB headphones or adapters around.

My USB Siberia 150 SteelSeries USB headphones have been working fine.

47 minutes ago, LukeS said:

My USB Siberia 150 SteelSeries USB headphones have been working fine.

Sounds like its a problem with the jack itself then

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

11 hours ago, Railgun said:

Sounds like its a problem with the jack itself then

Okay, so besides buying an AUX Jack/USB adapter, how would one go about fixing the panel?

3 hours ago, LukeS said:

Okay, so besides buying an AUX Jack/USB adapter, how would one go about fixing the panel?

I don't know how to fix it at this point. Look around the internet and see what you can find. Also, check to make sure the jack doesn't just need to be cleaned or something. You could also try taking your laptop to a repair shop if nothing else works.

3 hours ago, LukeS said:

Actually, if your laptop is only a year old, maybe you can RMA it. That might be an extreme resort but if your warranty hasn't expired, its an option.

1 hour ago, Railgun said:

Actually, if your laptop is only a year old, maybe you can RMA it. That might be an extreme resort but if your warranty hasn't expired, its an option.

Okay, thanks. I might just buy a USB AUX converter. How would I clean it? Also, the PC is like 2 years old

1 hour ago, LukeS said:

Okay, thanks. I might just buy a USB AUX converter. How would I clean it? Also, the PC is like 2 years old

I thought you said it was a 1 year old laptop...

51 minutes ago, Railgun said:

I thought you said it was a 1 year old laptop...

This December marks 2 years or so.

Or maybe longer... Hmmm time flies.

Edited by LukeS