Discovery of the worlds smallest transistor - breaking the barrier

glassjaw003

A new article published in Science - http://science.sciencemag.org/content/354/6308/99

Phys.org article on the subject - http://phys.org/news/2016-10-materials-smallest-transistor-nanometer-carbon.html

By using MoSi2 instead of Si, they were able to produce a smaller  (~1 nm) gate without the electrons going out of control due to tunneling. Good news for all of us, this discovery could further the timeline of Moore's Law. Although, this result is just preliminary, not yet to the application stage.

As a side note, I am taking a class with Dr. Moon Kim. He is a really great guy.

6 minutes ago, glassjaw003 said:

A new article published in Science - http://science.sciencemag.org/content/354/6308/99

Phys.org article on the subject - http://phys.org/news/2016-10-materials-smallest-transistor-nanometer-carbon.html

By using MoSi2 instead of Si, they were able to produce a smaller  (~1 nm) gate without the electrons going out of control due to tunneling. Good news for all of us, this discovery could further the timeline of Moore's Law. Although, this result is just preliminary, not yet to the application stage.

As a side note, I am taking a class with Dr. Moon Kim. He is a really great guy.

Further continue moore's law , yes , but at what price ? A 7nm SOC is already several times more expensive to produce than a 28nm one , and requires significantly more work ... 

What's the point of having smaller transistors for us enthusiasts if we get less of them ?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Cool stuff but..

Oh god. I'm sure the actual article is less buzzfeedy but I swear these articles for the common folk are just so absolutely awful....

Proof of concept... this is a proof of concept of a proof of concept. 

Btw if I hear another one of these articles referencing quantum tunneling incorrectly again, some poor animal is going to be shot as a proxy.

NEWSFLASH! QUANTUM TUNNELING IS A NON-TRIVIAL ISSUE EVEN WITH 14NM TRANSITORS!

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Exciting times seeing how much we can shrink. 2020+ will be very interesting to see where processors go. We will still be on silicon for some time now though but can't wait to see some quantum leap in progress with new materials and all.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Moore's law is dead already I believe, the shrinking rate has slowed down. If we can reliably go down to 1nm on silicon compounds we probably still have about 10 years before we'll be forced to move to something completely different.

2 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Further continue moore's law , yes , but at what price ? A 7nm SOC is already several times more expensive to produce than a 28nm one , and requires significantly more work ... 

What's the point of having smaller transistors for us enthusiasts if we get less of them ?

Intel has been throwing out the same old hyperthreaded quad cores for 6 years, let's be honest, their margins aren't small on the consumer lineup.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Scientist from Berkeley Lab's Materials Science Division has succeeded in creating a functional 1 nanometer transistor gate.

The team achieved this by using carbon nanotubes as gates inside of a material used as engine lubricant. With this breakthrough, they shatter the concern that sub 5 nm transistors were impossible due to quantum tunneling of the electrons, making them "jump" or leak onto other transistors, thus shorting out the chip.

Javey's team was able to hit the 1-nanometre limit by using carbon nanotubes with a material called molybdenum disulphide (MoS2), which is sometimes used as an engine lubricant.

1238176-transistor_1024.jpg

To put this into perspective, Intel's latest Kaby Lake CPU's uses a 14nm FinFet process node:

14nm-vs-22nm-metal-gate-rwd.png.renditio

This breakthrough could lead to Moore's law, that states that the number of transistors in a chip will double each year. As such we could see a massive jump in performance, and an ongoing performance improvement in the industry, that can carry us much further, until quantum computing becomes a feasible thing.

"This work is important to show that we are no longer limited to a 5-nanometre gate for our transistors," says Javey. "Moore's Law can continue a while longer by proper engineering of the semiconductor material and device architecture."

Source:

Article: http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-just-developed-the-world-s-smallest-ever-transistor

Intel picture: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/images/illustrations/14nm-vs-22nm-metal-gate-rwd.png.rendition.intel.web.576.324.png

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Now this is cool (literally)

How about less than 1nm? :P

Then you are making a transistor composed of a split neutron, known as a quark. So that would make the transistor smaller than an atom. I doubt we will see that in our lifetime, if ever.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, Notional said:

Then you are making a transistor composed of a split neutron, known as a quark. So that would make the transistor smaller than an atom. I doubt we will see that in our lifetime, if ever.

The diameter of an atom ranges from about 0.1 to 0.5 nanometers (1 × 10-10 m to 5 × 10-10 m).

3 minutes ago, Cla55ifi3xd said:

The diameter of an atom ranges from about 0.1 to 0.5 nanometers (1 × 10-10 m to 5 × 10-10 m).

Fair enough, but you still have to factor in the distance between the atom parts where the current can run.

4 minutes ago, Notional said:

Fair enough, but you still have to factor in the distance between the atom parts where the current can run.

We have already cracked that with  quantum computeing different I know but I love being contradictory. 

Just now, Cla55ifi3xd said:

We have already cracked that with  quantum computeing different I know but I love being contradictory. 

Well we are only limited by what we can do today. That limit shifts every day, so who knows where we will end up. However I think we will shift to quantum computing before 1nm transistors are obsolete.

why don't they just replace silicon, and make a carbon nanotube processor? 

Its one thing to make a functional 1nm transistor, but what about large scale production? If this process cant be used for large scale manufacturing then this technology will never see any kind of practical use. Little has been said in terms of production yields and cost. That is what really matters here. 

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Topic already posted. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

Moore's law is dead already I believe, the shrinking rate has slowed down. If we can reliably go down to 1nm on silicon compounds we probably still have about 10 years before we'll be forced to move to something completely different.

Intel has been throwing out the same old hyperthreaded quad cores for 6 years, let's be honest, their margins aren't small on the consumer lineup.

never said they were . But die space is getting more and more expensive , so they just make smaller chips ...

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

50 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Topic already posted. 

that is this thread ...

10 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

that is this thread ...

He merged them already that is why you get @Notional's really nice OP statement in the middle of this thread.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 hours ago, Dionyz said:

Intel and Samsung are both racing for it. IBM was too, but it's given up. It would be completely new techniques. Research and testing has to be done, and known techniques need to be stretched to make investments last.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

5 hours ago, Dionyz said:

Because for some reason they can't make a nano tube that leaves a laboratory lol. 

6 hours ago, Notional said:

if you want to see something almost that small. well. you know where to look.

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

if you want to see something almost that small. well. you know where to look.

Yeah, but the court order states that you are not allowed to take off your pants in public anymore.