Comcast rolling out cap naitonwide

Syntaxvgm

lol best country in the world my arse

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

1TB cap? That seems highly generous to me. Most people don't exactly try to download the internet every month / back up their data offsite or stream 24/7 4k videos. It could be argued that if you truly need more data than that, you probably should be on a business plan or something. Or pay more for the new "unlimited" package. (if there's one)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

9 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Please, if you are affected by this, file a complaint with the FCC 

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Here is my complaint. If you want you can use it as a template for your own complaints. 

"Comcast is now rolling out their new 1TB/month internet data cap. Because I predominantly stream 4K video content for entertainment at home I am currently using much more data than this new 1TB plan would allow me. I am paying for the fastest internet plan Comcast allows (and they are the only modern internet provider where I live) so the fact that they are now going to gouge my prices arbitrarily is very frustrating. Thank you for taking the time to read my complaint and for your continued commitment to a more open and accessible internet for everyone."

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fKvV3C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 5820K | MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-2666mhz | EVGA Titan X Hybrid | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Samsung 850-EVO Series 250GB SSD | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair AX860 | Acer Predator XB270HU | Corsair H100i GTX | Corsair K70 RGB w/Cherry MX Browns | Corsair M65 RGB | Audio-Technica ATH-M50X | Windows 10 |

Here is my issue with this. They do not have to submit their meter to government regulators. And the meter is not real time. They should be required to have a real time meter and submit it regularly to regulators for inspection. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Here in Sweden I have unlimited data on my cellphone and it cost 25US$/month.

Broadband cost about 25 as well. Unlimited.

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

5 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

lol best country in the world my arse

Privately-owned ISP does shitty thing? The entire country sucks!

We need to collectively figure out a "CB radio" alternative to ISP's. Something that can be broadcast fairly far, and every single user can act as a hub. Something so large and complex that no one could ever control it.

Imagine if your wifi, could connect with the wifi signals of everyone else near you, and so on and so forth, so that you could ALL share bandwidth and make the ISP's jobs so fucking difficult that they had no choice but to give up.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

11 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

We need to collectively figure out a "CB radio" alternative to ISP's. Something that can be broadcast fairly far, and every single user can act as a hub. Something so large and complex that no one could ever control it.

Imagine if your wifi, could connect with the wifi signals of everyone else near you, and so on and so forth, so that you could ALL share bandwidth and make the ISP's jobs so fucking difficult that they had no choice but to give up.

Yeah, because the FCC would allow this. Wireless is very regulated. The fact is the bands that WiFi operates on, are not made for long range communications like your wanting. 

15 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/06/comcasts-1tb-data-caps-start-to-roll-out-nationwide/

Yep. 1TB cap, nationwide. Hitting me in Fort Wayne Nov 1st. 

You can be charged up to 200$ in 50GB sets of 10$ or add 50$ a month for unlimited data. 

No idea how the fuck this is even legal. 

I used 3TB month before last, and I have a  feeling this is to stop people from cutting cable, which btw I have no idea how much things like PS Vue use, which I just signed up for and have on 24-7. 

have no fucking idea because the data usage meter no longer works, just a 404. 

In addition, I'm on a waiting list for 2Gb/s service from them. Am I supposed to use my entire fucking cap in like less than 2 hours of full speed? No idea, I'll figure out when I call and argue about that 70$ a month for TV I'm assured I don't owe but never gets removed from my bill again for like the third time

This is what happens when companies have monopolies on providing a service to certain areas. 

Please, if you are affected by this, file a complaint with the FCC 

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

File a complaint with the FCC and the better business bureau. You may very well get a class action started.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah, because the FCC would allow this. Wireless is very regulated. The fact is the bands that WiFi operates on, are not made for long range communications like your wanting. 

I know. I'm saying we need to find an alternative way of using the long-range bands that we currently have access to, for communication between computers.

That, or we need a major push to get congress to just flat out shut down the ISP's and make the internet infrastructure a public utility. We've already been paying them for years to replace all copper with fiber, and they haven't fucking done it (but they've taken the money).

We'd need an internet bill of rights for that path though.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

We need to convince companies like Facebook, Netflix, Amazon (Twitch), Google (Youtube) to fight this for us. Large corporations give no fucks about us individuals, we'll need to convince a few big corporations to fight this to have any chance to stop it.

If this isn't stopped here, it's a matter of time before Charter/TWC apply this nationwide as well.

I mean, I use around 60 GBs a day average alone, there is 4 other people in this house...

25 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I know. I'm saying we need to find an alternative way of using the long-range bands that we currently have access to, for communication between computers.

That, or we need a major push to get congress to just flat out shut down the ISP's and make the internet infrastructure a public utility. We've already been paying them for years to replace all copper with fiber, and they haven't fucking done it (but they've taken the money).

We'd need an internet bill of rights for that path though.

Comcast owns Congress. So nothing is going to happen. 

Big thanks to corrupt government for allowing and protecting ISPs. We need a more free market where new players like Google and cities that want to undertake a municipal network to allow more competition. 

I don't see what everyone is complaining about:

N2ETFJh.png

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

Lets look at Australia NBNco, for bandwidth provisioning.

Source: http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco2/documents/sfaa-wba2-product-catalogue-price-list_20150201.pdf

AVC connects you to a POI, at a POI an ISP has equipment there to service data back to their own network, this charge is called a CVC.

AVC - Access virtual circuit start at $24 for a 12/1 Mbit service, going up to $70 for a 250/100 Mbit service, etc, this is included in your contract.

CVC - Connectivity virtual circuit is charged at $17.5 per Mbit per month to an ISP, this charge is to facilitate transfer between the POI to the ISP's network(backhaul, etc), or you could say between NBNco network to ISP network since NBN is only wholesale.

POI - Point of Interconnect - there are 121 POIs across Aus.

Then we have the ISP's own charges such as backhaul, etc which affects the price you pay.

Example:

Source: http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-broadband/plans?bt=FBB&tl=FTEL

Optus offers on all their plans "unlimited" data, this plan starts at $110 per month, provided you don't want to add anything onto it, this is the "upto" 100/40 Mbit service since the higher bandwidth services haven't rolled out yet.

In this $110 includes a $38 AVC charge. Assuming that Optus is dedicating all that bandwidth to yourself(which is not a good business decision but lets assume), they are paying a CVC charge of $1750 per month to their backhaul, which we don't know the cost. Already gone past your monthly payment, oh dear..... which is why there is such a thing called a contention ratio, Optus's contention ratio from some parts of the internet claim a 100:1 ratio, which means for every 100 people they provision 1 Mbit, therefore if you get more than 1Mbit for example your using what is not being used by someone else, good for off peak, not good for peak but whatever saves them money

17 hours ago, HeyYouOK? said:

I had a 300gb cap for years and i hit the cap so many times. Funny enough, Comcast will remove your data cap for an additional $30 USD...

I dont see how they get away with this shit, its honestly mind boggling.

$50. Even more absurd!

My PC specifications are in my profile.

12 hours ago, Nup said:

Damn I feel for you guys :L but at least you get good speeds? That 2Gb/s is insane. 

It's 300$ a month, huge installation fees and the process to even fucking get it in the first place is a major headache.  

There is like 150/mo 1Gb/s over docsis 3.1, but the process to sign up is just as painful 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

7 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

There is like 150/mo 1Gb/s over docsis 3.1, but the process to sign up is just as painful 

Where in Australia our cable network can't handle these speeds :(

And on fibre the AVC cost is $150 itself, which then you have to assume that your ISP has provisioned enough CVC to handle the traffic

1 minute ago, kiska3 said:

Where in Australia our cable network can't handle these speeds :(

And on fibre the AVC cost is $150 itself, which then you have to assume that your ISP has provisioned enough CVC to handle the traffic

yah I'm pretty lucky where I live. They're just now offering the speeds though, and from my understanding the infrastructure has been here longer than they claim 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

12 hours ago, Michael McAllister said:

Yeah. Right.  $299.95 / month

don't forget the $500 activation fee, and the $500 installation fee.

Or the 2 year contract you have to sign.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

15 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Well then this doesn't bode well for me

@Lays  What are you guys using to measure data usage since I now have a reason to actually measure mine

I use a program called GlassWire to record my usage, but I don't know everything it's available for. I just have it on my PC to make sure I don't hog my family's data cap.

21 hours ago, sof006 said:

I'm glad they can't do this in the UK. They have capped data packages over here but they have a slew of unlimited data packages that are massively popular over in the UK. Ofcom has a big stance on customers getting what they pay for and wouldn't allow broadband providers to make sudden amendments to existing packages, if one company was to do such a thing Ofcom would step in and heavily fine the provider.

Yeah we're lucky, the situation in the US generally is pretty crappy. I'm on bt getting 35/9 speeds with 1/2 ms ping with unlimited data for £40 ish a month. I'm just glad we're this fortunate

My PC: I7 4770 (3.4Ghz)

32Gb Corsair Xms3 DDR3

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti

Asus Z87-A Motherboard

Samsung 120gb SSD

Seagate 2TB HDD

Aerocool Xpredator Evil Black

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8502026

8 hours ago, Daring said:

Privately-owned ISP does shitty thing? The entire country sucks!

1 show me where i said your entire country sucks

2 its the fact that the company is allowed to act in such a way given it supplies a key infrastructure

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

1 minute ago, jaggysnake57 said:

1 show me where i said your entire country sucks

2 its the fact that the company is allowed to act in such a way given it supplies a key infrastructure

"lol best country in the world my arse"

I think it demonstrates where you said my country sucks without me needing to point it out.

Also, they're not allowed to act in this way. They're just trying to hide peoples' rights from them so they can get away with data caps.

13 hours ago, TetraSky said:

1TB cap? That seems highly generous to me. Most people don't exactly try to download the internet every month / back up their data offsite or stream 24/7 4k videos. It could be argued that if you truly need more data than that, you probably should be on a business plan or something. Or pay more for the new "unlimited" package. (if there's one)

Get a family of 8, and each person using the internet. Yea that 1tb will be gone in 1-2 weeks

Anime torrents can use a LOT MORE GB then normal movies. 50-60gb for a Fate Zero series