What are some good antivirus/antimalware programs to use instead of Norton?

My Norton subscription ends in 4 days so I need to pick and buy a replacement.  I've previously asked about antivirus and antimalware before but I wanted to again now since my Norton subscription is almost expended.

For the most part I like Norton.  It's active protection has blocked a few things over the years.  So far as I know nothing got past it or least nothing that did anything I noticed.  

However it has also tried to quarantine and mess up a small number (less than 10 for sure) of program execute files for games mostly that it incorrectly thinks is a virus or malware.  

So I'm leaning towards using something different this year.  

First thing I want to ask is: Is there a distinction between antivirus and antimalware programs?

For that matter are viruses considered part of the overall malware category or a separate type of thing?

Second I'm looking to get suggestions for the best alternatives to Norton.  Preferably ones with active protection so I don't have to remember to run scans every day and find out AFTER I've been infected that my computer has a virus or malware infection.  

Idk how good the Windows firewall is but if it's not that great programs with a really good two way firewall would be nice or a standalone two way firewall if need be.

I already purchased a copy of Malwarebytes Premium so I'll be using that after Norton runs out but I figure having at least one antivirus program would be smart. (Assuming that antivirus would be different from antimalware.)

The back of the box says it protects against viruses which is why I asked it antivirus is the same as antimalware or if they protect against different things.

I'm going to tag some people I specifically want to ask about but of course I welcome suggestions from anyone.

@DeadEyePsycho

@ShadowTechXTS

@TetraSky

@wkdpaul

@Zodiark1593

@Oshino Shinobu

@STRMfrmXMN

@Ramamataz

@LAwLz

@Nena360

@Octavialicious

@M.Yurizaki

@Ryan_Vickers

image.jpeg

Malwarebytes for its good day-zero updates for malware.

Kaspersky for viruses.

They both do good jobs.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

My solution is a good Windows Firewall setup, Windows defender and Malwarebytes for system scans. Viruses and Malware are different, but they do overlap in their definitions. Malwarebytes will catch some viruses, but it will not catch everything on its own. 

I find most anti-virus programs to be annoying (as well as Malwarebytes when its in active protection mode), so I have Malwarebytes with active protection turned off and just use it to run system scans every week or so. I found Windows Defender isn't very intrusive like most anti-virus, so that's why I use it (as well as for system scans). With my setup I haven't had (at least, I haven't found) any malware or viruses for at least a year and a half. 

I used BitDefender for a long time and still recommend it but I had to take it off my main PC because of a weird bug that was causing it to use 100% CPU and lagging everything like crazy.  Just remember that the best anti-virus is your own behaviour, and I promise you that it's head and shoulders above the rest :D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Windows defender + malwarebytes works great.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I use Windows Defender + Malwarebytes Antimalware. The latter mostly because it has an IP blocker to prevent your computer from connecting to suspect IPs (basically the same thing as having a premade HOSTS file)

The only sticking point is I have a perpetual license for Malwarebytes' software. They started doing a yearly subscription thing.

Anitmalware: Software that protects against general malware that may include basic viruses, some adware, spyware, etc.. It usually isn't the best at more advanced attack methods that new viruses/worms/rootkits use nowadays. Mainly helps with software that looks and acts legit (as legit as malware can be) while actually being malicious.

Antivirus: Software that is specifically used against viruses, worms, rootkits, etc.. It doesn't help with spyware, adware, or the borderline malicious software.

Firewalls are responsible for managing ports and their equivalent protocols. Some attacks can be picked up by the headers of packets which modern firewalls can even block. Generally consumer firewalls though don't even log possible attacks and are only useful for blocking unused ports. 

I will echo everyone else with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes personally. I don't click on suspicious links ever unless it is in a VM and I use Opera Browser for the built in ad-blocking/security. 

If you want a good ACTIVE based protection program, I would recommend Kaspersky or BitDefender. Both are very well known and are highly rated.

The absolute best antivirus though is training and knowledge. Knowing what is a secure password and good password policies along with knowing not to click on anything suspicious are key.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

As much as I love Norton, in the last 2~3 years I've been too cheap to buy it, so I had also looked for an alternative. The one that I found that work about as well as Norton (especially the firewall), is AVG Internet Security.

Second I'm looking to get suggestions for the best alternatives to Norton.  Preferably ones with active protection so I don't have to remember to run scans every day and find out AFTER I've been infected that my computer has a virus or malware infection.  

One of the main reason I recommend AVG Internet Security, is that it's firewall work similarly to Norton's when in Interactive Mode. So if you liked the way Norton's firewall worked, that might be a good choice.

But the other huge reason, is that you can still get a free 1 year trial if you just enter the following key during install using the "paid" edition's setup.

IBY9X-ESYXT-W4BZQ-QI4WX-A9LI7-INRS3

You can either use this direct link to download it or go to the AVG website, go down to the Paid version and select the 64bit edition.

Idk how good the Windows firewall is but if it's not that great programs with a really good two way firewall would be nice or a standalone two way firewall if need

The Windows firewall is BAD, it's over complicated for no reason and doesn't work as well as third party solutions from other Internet Security suites.

I already purchased a copy of Malwarebytes Premium so I'll be using that after Norton runs out but I figure having at least one antivirus program would be smart. (Assuming that antivirus would be different from antimalware.)

The back of the box says it protects against viruses which is why I asked it antivirus is the same as antimalware or if they protect against different things.

Anti Virus are indeed different than Anti Malware. Malwarebytes, while it's great at getting rid of things like adware browser extensions, it won't catch more obscure viruses, it will mainly catch the more well known ones that people are more likely to be infected by.

But really, most anti virus these days do the same job so the best anti virus is whatever you like, I suggest that you try a few to find one that suits you (it's what I did before arriving at AVG IS).

Because if your browsing habits are bad, that you often go on "shady" websites, open email attachment before scanning them or install shady softwares you found in some dark corner of the web... No anti virus will protect you against yourself.

You could use this site to give yourself an idea of what the current "best" anti virus suite is
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Like mentioned above, malwares and viruses are different, malwarebytes is my personal favorite and "go to" solution.

As far as antivirus I always recommend bitdefender and I despise Norton (I had bad experiences with both the enterprise and consumer solution) and is something I would never recommend, that said, if it's a solution that works for you, then it's perfectly fine to carry on with it.

As far as I know, the majority of the antivirus out there have active protection, bitdefender did find something a few months ago when I downloaded a "no-CD" crack for a game I own but had problems with because of Windows 10 (was working fine in Win 7 through compatibility mode).

And if you're looking for a firewall that "kinda just works" the Windows firewall is fine, BUT, it's not the best in any shape or form. The main problem is that it's not user friendly, at all, and anything more than basic functions needs lots of time to setup and sometimes won't let you do what you want. I honestly don't use it and instead use the firewall on my router.

Don't hesitate to ask other questions or ask more details!!! :)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

3 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Malwarebytes for its good day-zero updates for malware.

Kaspersky for viruses.

They both do good jobs.

Sorry but I'd prefer to avoid Kaspersky.  I don't want to trust my computer security to a Russian program.  Call me paranoid but just like with buying on eBay if I'm not 100% willing to trust something I'll avoid it.

3 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

My solution is a good Windows Firewall setup, Windows defender and Malwarebytes for system scans. Viruses and Malware are different, but they do overlap in their definitions. Malwarebytes will catch some viruses, but it will not catch everything on its own. 

I find most anti-virus programs to be annoying (as well as Malwarebytes when its in active protection mode), so I have Malwarebytes with active protection turned off and just use it to run system scans every week or so. I found Windows Defender isn't very intrusive like most anti-virus, so that's why I use it (as well as for system scans). With my setup I haven't had (at least, I haven't found) any malware or viruses for at least a year and a half. 

Does Windows defender guard against viruses?

Does it have any active protection?

I use Windows Defender and occasionally run scans with AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes and they never find anything. Not saying they're bad tools as they find all sorts of crap on a virus-infested PC, not at all, but what I'm saying is if you're safe and you don't download random crap and you use an adblocker (and whitelist sites you like like LTT :D) you're fine.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I used BitDefender for a long time and still recommend it but I had to take it off my main PC because of a weird bug that was causing it to use 100% CPU and lagging everything like crazy.  Just remember that the best anti-virus is your own behaviour, and I promise you that it's head and shoulders above the rest :D 

Do you know what the difference between the antivirus and total security versions is?

Or if there's a cheaper retailer to get it from?  $30 something for only 1 computer is crazy expensive.  Norton for like either 3 or 5 PCs is around $50 I think.

image.png

4 hours ago, Enderman said:

Windows defender + malwarebytes works great.

Do you know if defender has any active protection?

Is that something I have to download or is it already in Windows 10?

15 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Do you know what the difference between the antivirus and total security versions is?

Or if there's a cheaper retailer to get it from?  $30 something for only 1 computer is crazy expensive.  Norton for like either 3 or 5 PCs is around $50 I think.

oh, no no no use the free one ;) 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Anitmalware: Software that protects against general malware that may include basic viruses, some adware, spyware, etc.. It usually isn't the best at more advanced attack methods that new viruses/worms/rootkits use nowadays. Mainly helps with software that looks and acts legit (as legit as malware can be) while actually being malicious.

Antivirus: Software that is specifically used against viruses, worms, rootkits, etc.. It doesn't help with spyware, adware, or the borderline malicious software.

Firewalls are responsible for managing ports and their equivalent protocols. Some attacks can be picked up by the headers of packets which modern firewalls can even block. Generally consumer firewalls though don't even log possible attacks and are only useful for blocking unused ports. 

I will echo everyone else with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes personally. I don't click on suspicious links ever unless it is in a VM and I use Opera Browser for the built in ad-blocking/security. 

If you want a good ACTIVE based protection program, I would recommend Kaspersky or BitDefender. Both are very well known and are highly rated.

The absolute best antivirus though is training and knowledge. Knowing what is a secure password and good password policies along with knowing not to click on anything suspicious are key.

Thank you for clearing that up.  I've heard of antivirus and antispyware before but antimalware is a term I'm not very familiar with.

I think of those two I'd be more likely to choose Bitdefender.  Call me crazy but I don't think I can trust a Russian program to keep me safe.

It's not like typically go looking for stuff to click on but sometimes when going to a site that I've never heard of before or used it's nice to know that I've got something to keep my computer clean just in case.  Like Play-Asia for example.  Totally safe and legit but first time I used it I didn't know that for sure.

I just wish more sites let people use spaces in passwords and don't have bs requirements for length or adding numbers/symbols so people could use pass phrases.  The average user would be shocked to learn how much more secure even just adding a few spaces to a password can be and even more so if you use a pass phrase made up of words that aren't directly related to you.  (Things to avoid: your pet's name or the street you live on for examples.)

Is Windows Defender part of Windows 10 or something you have to download?

Does it have any active protection that might conflict with other security programs?

Just in case I'd use it.

17 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Do you know if defender has any active protection?

Is that something I have to download or is it already in Windows 10?

It is part of windows 10, just go into your settings and make sure it is enabled.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It is part of windows 10, just go into your settings and make sure it is enabled.

and iirc by default, it's always on unless you install something else

3 hours ago, TetraSky said:

As much as I love Norton, in the last 2~3 years I've been too cheap to buy it, so I had also looked for an alternative. The one that I found that work about as well as Norton (especially the firewall), is AVG Internet Security.

One of the main reason I recommend AVG Internet Security, is that it's firewall work similarly to Norton's when in Interactive Mode. So if you liked the way Norton's firewall worked, that might be a good choice.

But the other huge reason, is that you can still get a free 1 year trial if you just enter the following key during install using the "paid" edition's setup.

IBY9X-ESYXT-W4BZQ-QI4WX-A9LI7-INRS3

You can either use this direct link to download it or go to the AVG website, go down to the Paid version and select the 64bit edition.

The Windows firewall is BAD, it's over complicated for no reason and doesn't work as well as third party solutions from other Internet Security suites.

Anti Virus are indeed different than Anti Malware. Malwarebytes, while it's great at getting rid of things like adware browser extensions, it won't catch more obscure viruses, it will mainly catch the more well known ones that people are more likely to be infected by.

But really, most anti virus these days do the same job so the best anti virus is whatever you like, I suggest that you try a few to find one that suits you (it's what I did before arriving at AVG IS).

Because if your browsing habits are bad, that you often go on "shady" websites, open email attachment before scanning them or install shady softwares you found in some dark corner of the web... No anti virus will protect you against yourself.

You could use this site to give yourself an idea of what the current "best" anti virus suite is
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

I'm very tempted to use AVG since Amazon's prices for even a 2 year subscription for 3 pcs (2 years I've never seen that long before!) is very cheap.

I'm worried though since according to that program comparison site AVG seems to slow things down on your computer more than Norton or Bitdefender.  

Also so at least one review I found on Amazon claims it was impossible to remove and was thus acting similar to a virus from the effect it was having on their computer.  It was just the one person but it makes me concerned a little.

Is email attachment scanning usually automatic as part of active protection or is that something users have to manually think to scan?

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

Like mentioned above, malwares and viruses are different, malwarebytes is my personal favorite and "go to" solution.

As far as antivirus I always recommend bitdefender and I despise Norton (I had bad experiences with both the enterprise and consumer solution) and is something I would never recommend, that said, if it's a solution that works for you, then it's perfectly fine to carry on with it.

As far as I know, the majority of the antivirus out there have active protection, bitdefender did find something a few months ago when I downloaded a "no-CD" crack for a game I own but had problems with because of Windows 10 (was working fine in Win 7 through compatibility mode).

And if you're looking for a firewall that "kinda just works" the Windows firewall is fine, BUT, it's not the best in any shape or form. The main problem is that it's not user friendly, at all, and anything more than basic functions needs lots of time to setup and sometimes won't let you do what you want. I honestly don't use it and instead use the firewall on my router.

Don't hesitate to ask other questions or ask more details!!! :)

Can you be more specific about your hatred of Norton?  It would help to know more about what specifically you don't like about it.

I'm still living at home while in grad school so I'm not in control of our modem or wifi router so idk if either has any sort of firewall I could rely on.

So because my parents are computer security stupid I have to take responsibility for my computer safety.  

Do you know if AVG and Bitdefender have a firewall?    And if they do how theirs compare to Norton's.

51 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I use Windows Defender and occasionally run scans with AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes and they never find anything. Not saying they're bad tools as they find all sorts of crap on a virus-infested PC, not at all, but what I'm saying is if you're safe and you don't download random crap and you use an adblocker (and whitelist sites you like like LTT :D) you're fine.

What's AdwCleaner?  I've never heard of it.

What's an adblocker?    Are there some you'd suggest that are considered the best?

19 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

oh, no no no use the free one ;) 

But won't the paid version have added features that the free version doesn't?

18 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Is it ok to use with other antivirus installed?  Or does it get auto disabled by Windows if other antivirus is present?